1st Friday Production Updates

Well this is all good news to hear.

Will the GSO 3.5 line be released before the SK 3.5’s?

1st Friday...

And a reminder to all to please post if/when you receive shipping notifications.

Thank you for your interest in SURVIVE!
View this email in your browser

December 2017

1st Friday Production Update:

Saturday

Current Production:
  • There will be regular shipments of GSO-4.1 and GSO-7/7 orders this month as we continue working on preorders and weekly sales.
  • At the beginning of 2018, the SURVIVE! Workshop will begin working on larger batches of GSO-4 Limited blades, as the sheaths start arriving.
  • GSO-3.5 blades are expected to be finished at production grinding this month. We are starting the processes of setting up handle and sheath production for those. Preorders will not start shipping until we are further along with GSO-4.1 and GSO-7/7 Preorders.
  • The SK-3.5 will be heading to the final stages of production and will be available in early 2018. Keep an eye on our Instagram, @surviveknives to know when those are in stock.
  • GSO-12 / SK-12 blade blanks will be starting to get cut out this month!
  • The GSO-6 / SK-6 run is scheduled to start immediately after those.
Future Production:
  • Production is scheduled to continue in the following order:
  • Additional models will be added to the production schedule once these are further along. This includes the Necker, Necker II, and GSO-4.7.
I apologize for the delay in getting this month's 1st Friday Newsletter out, our internet has been spotty these past few days.

Last I heard all the 2.7's were done but I ordered a couple seconds (90 days of course) back in August and haven't heard anything about them.

As someone with a ton of patience, I'm getting closer to pulling the plug on $1200 in orders.

Yeah, I'm a bit irked that nothing has been said about the remaining 2.7 seconds of which I'm waiting on one. Neither their order in the scheme of things or a predicted time of completion has been offered up. Instead, they've seemingly been hidden from the production schedule update. I hope this isn't to support the image of the 2.7s being completed when clearly they are not.

Also, I thought the SK-6s were supposed to begin in August rather than still having to wait for the SK12s to be cut? Unless beginning meant some other process prior to cutting but surely cutting is the first step? Are there still factors to do with Survive! that are possibly constraining the production of the SK series? Does this mean that the wait of the SK series outsourcing will still be continually subject to the varying bottlenecks of Survive? This makes me concerned that the wait times on the SKs, whilst possibly being faster than the alternative GSO, may still not be reasonable. If it ends up taking the 3.5s about 6-9 months to be finished, can we expect a similar wait for the other knives or even longer given the size difference? I know 3.5s have possibly taken longer because they are the first outsourced knife but they are small and especially so compared to the SK12, which precedes the SK6. The SK6 could end up not being produced until well into 2019. This says nothing about what the bottlenecks and further unexpected problems could do to the SK timeline.

One more question here is the meaning of the SK3.5 "early 2018" availability. Is this a complete availability of this run of the knife or simply the first batch? If the latter, how many more batches to follow? It seems to me there's a lack of clarity about what we're facing, at best by accident and at worst by omission. Having to try and work out what we're facing, that ultimately amounts to speculation, is far from ideal.

Finally, I was told in an email by Survive! that the 7/7s should be completed by Christmas but there still seems to be little sense that many people are receiving them or that they are any closer to completing the preorders (I'm waiting for a presale in the middle of the pack).

I'm seriously fatigued now and I keep asking myself why I continue to keep my money with Survive. I'm now waiting more for the frustration to end than I am for an exciting new knife to arrive, which begs the question why I'm bothering to wait. Although I'm hoping that actually receiving my knives will change that. Furthermore, I'm from the UK and our government is trying to change the law so that we can't order and receive knives online. As things stand that could happen early next year. If I continue to wait for Survive! I might miss out on the possibility of ordering other high quality knives from the US or even within the UK because the choice would instantly and significantly diminish following such a change in law. If only I was enamoured by anything else as much as I am by Survive!

Last edited:
  • At the beginning of 2018, the SURVIVE! Workshop will begin working on larger batches of GSO-4 Limited blades, as the sheaths start arriving.
I ordered mine without sheath.....................In a previous update it was stated that orders not waiting on sheath would be fullfilled

Last edited:
1st Friday...

And a reminder to all to please post if/when you receive shipping notifications.

I would also appreciate a mentioning when your orders were placed (dates specifically, too confused on order#s due to the multiple listings or pre-sales/orders, etc.), this will/would provide a better insight on where our orders are in the finishing/shipping process.

Just repeat the previous few months’ updates: “2.7s are mostly done, 4.1s and 7/7s are trickling through the shop, 3.5s will start eventually ... don’t hold your breath.”
Right! My final cutoff on my order is end 2017. If I still haven't anything by then. I will be getting money back. And I'm not having none of that 10% off restocking BS too. I guess some "lucky" person can have my knives since "Survive Knives are so sought after nowadays." They shouldn't have an issue at all selling my knives.

I would also appreciate a mentioning when your orders were placed (dates specifically, too confused on order#s due to the multiple listings or pre-sales/orders, etc.), this will/would provide a better insight on where our orders are in the finishing/shipping process.
There are a ton of variables because of the different models and different types of orders within each model. For example, it looks like the 4.1 3V 2nd orders from February of 2017 are currently shipping based on reports from people that have received them. So, historically, we've compiled that sort of information in the threads for each model, because these general purpose threads don't generally capture enough detail to allow meaningful analysis of what is shipping.

Right! My final cutoff on my order is end 2017. If I still haven't anything by then. I will be getting money back. And I'm not having none of that 10% off restocking BS too. I guess some "lucky" person can have my knives since "Survive Knives are so sought after nowadays." They shouldn't have an issue at all selling my knives.
What do you have on order? If the knife is a "Monday Sales" 2.7 or a preorder or "Monday Sales" 4.1 you might get it within the next couple of months, but that is just a guess. I've only seen a few 7/7 "in the wild" so far so the chances of that knife shipping soon are smaller. I don't recall seeing any posts about a GSO 4 LTD being received yet. Anything else is probably going to ship sometime in 2018.

On 12/3, I sent an email to Survive!, specific to my Starter and subsequent orders pursuant to the First Friday Newsletter, which I found inadequate for my decision making needs at this time.

In context, I asked what would be shipping within the next four months so that I could decide if it was worth waiting or requesting order cancellations. I pray that Jordyn doesn't mind me posting her answers here, but I hope it might save her some redundant emails. Perhaps they might still be helpful to folks in a similar predicament:

GSO 3.5 (2/24/16): "the blades are just finishing at grinding and are starting to arrive at the SURVIVE! Workshop. We are starting the processes of setting up handle and sheath production for this model. Preorders will not start shipping until we are further along with the GSO-4.1 and GSO-7/7 preorders. It is likely that it will be more than 4 months before the preorders for this model start shipping out."

GSO-4.1 Factory 2nd (9/6/17, modified 9/11/17): "although this order is not past due the 90 day delivery time, it will most likely be late and not shipped for a couple more months. We have fallen behind on fulfillment of our 90 day Factory 2nd orders, and are currently working to finish shipping the orders placed in February 2016. It is still going to take us some time to ship your order placed in September 2016."

GSO-4 Limited (12/5/16): "we are late on getting these orders shipped out, however, we do have all of the materials, minus the sheaths. Guy still needs to do some fine tuning on some blades, and then do the blade finishing. Once that is done, building and sharpening the orders should go quickly. There are a limited number of orders, so when they do start shipping they will go out fast. I spoke with Ellie and she thinks that the GSO-4 Limited orders should be shipping over the next four months."

GSO-7/7 (4/27/15): "We are currently working on completing and shipping the orders placed in March and April 2015. Your order, placed on April 27, 2015, should be shipping around the beginning of the year."

GSO 12 (4/27/15): "The GSO-12 is just starting production and it will still be several months before it will be completed." Given her comments that it will be more than four months before the 3.5s begin to ship (which precede this model in production), and the difficulty I perceive with finishing a blade this size, I won't venture a personal guesstimate, but definitely more than four months out.

I'm a curious chap, so of course each answer begs more questions for me, and I requested some clarifications and greater specificity. When I receive an update, I'll post it here. Jordyn answered my first email promptly in less than 24 hours. I have requested multiple changes to multiple orders, and they have always been prompt and courteous in their replies. She was extremely supportive and open to whatever course of action I decided upon. I just needed a bit more than the newsletter offered this month.

** Be it known that I have to date already received numerous orders, including an old spec 4.1, 2x 2.7s, a new spec 4.1, 4.7, 4.7 cruforge V, 2x 5.1s. They have all exceeded expectation.

Last I heard all the 2.7's were done but I ordered a couple seconds (90 days of course) back in August and haven't heard anything about them.

As someone with a ton of patience, I'm getting closer to pulling the plug on $1200 in orders.

I ordered a 1st 2.7 back in August too, WITHOUT the "Will ship within 90 days"! And it is still not here! I only ordered a 1st because it did not have the wait. Kinda pissed about it now! Without the wait....maybe I was dreaming...
I have about the same amount of money over there as well. Really don't want to pull the plug, not sure what to do.
Also have a couple factory 2nds ordered in early April. REALLY hope they are in the next batch being made. 8 Months now....

Last edited:
I ordered a 1st 2.7 back in August too, WITHOUT the "Will ship within 90 days"! And it is still not here!

Per my last post, I was told that it would be several more months before my F2 4.1 order would be fulfilled (placed a month after your 2.7, in September). If logic applies and they process by order date, you should have that 2.7 in the next couple of months as well. As a small blade and being the last of the model, Guy may finish yours earlier when he needs a "break" between thousands of 4.1s and 7/7s. fingers crossed for ya amigo.

I'm a curious chap, so of course each answer begs more questions for me, and I requested some clarifications and greater specificity. When I receive an update, I'll post it here. Jordyn answered my first email promptly in less than 24 hours. I have requested multiple changes to multiple orders, and they have always been prompt and courteous in their replies. She was extremely supportive and open to whatever course of action I decided upon. I just needed a bit more than the newsletter offered this month.

Thanks so much for posting and sharing this. Thanks in advance also for posting replies you receive to your further queries. I can spare myself and Jordyn the redundant exchange you referred to.

Unfortunately, it also means I can tear up my last exchange with them from October since the replies you received render it meaningless...

Unfortunately, it also means I can tear up my last exchange with them from October since the replies you received render it meaningless...

Sorry to hear that Oyster :( For posterity, can you share the information you received in October, so as to contrast with how that may have changed in two months? Hopefully nothing monumental has changed. Please remember that the info I posted was specific to my orders, so there may not be a direct correlation to expectations for yours.

Back