Important Info! 2019 Forum Knife : Poll Schedule / Content

Hey guys... I’ve been off bladeforums for a while so I just saw the progress of this years knife. I was curious everyone’s feelings on the popularity of the sabre blade. I know most Northwoods come with this style of blade but now GEC seems to be offering more and more of them. I’m really on the fence about them. I know sabre blades have a time and place, usually where a more sturdy blade is needed. But do traditionals really need this? I don’t mean to start any kind of flame fest or anything, I’m genuinely interested in everyone’s opinion. I use my traditionals for light use... cutting fruit at lunch, cutting tape on boxes, cleaning fingernails and the like. I just seems to me that anything a Sabre blade can do on a traditional knife, a full height flat grind could do just a bit better. Like I said, I’m not trying to start anything, just would love to hear some more opinions. Cheers!

Hey guys... I’ve been off bladeforums for a while so I just saw the progress of this years knife. I was curious everyone’s feelings on the popularity of the sabre blade. I know most Northwoods come with this style of blade but now GEC seems to be offering more and more of them. I’m really on the fence about them. I know sabre blades have a time and place, usually where a more sturdy blade is needed. But do traditionals really need this? I don’t mean to start any kind of flame fest or anything, I’m genuinely interested in everyone’s opinion. I use my traditionals for light use... cutting fruit at lunch, cutting tape on boxes, cleaning fingernails and the like. I just seems to me that anything a Sabre blade can do on a traditional knife, a full height flat grind could do just a bit better. Like I said, I’m not trying to start anything, just would love to hear some more opinions. Cheers!

If you have the time you can take a stroll through the polling threads and see a lot of comments about the sabre grind. I think most folks prefer the thinner blade on a traditional pocket knife, but the sabre grind was the only thing GEC was offering, and GEC won the vote for the manufacturer. The consensus since then has been that, while it may not be the preferred blade, it will certainly be unique and still cut things just fine.

Hey guys... I’ve been off bladeforums for a while so I just saw the progress of this years knife. I was curious everyone’s feelings on the popularity of the sabre blade...

Not only a sabre grind, but extra-thick stock as well. Unique for the sake of uniqueness isn't my cup of tea.

Sabre grind blades aren't my most favorite but GEC has done a pretty good job of them for the most part. Some of my early sabre grind #12 toothpicks had slow closing blades due to how fat the blade stock was & where the grind started on each side. Minor issue, but still...

Regardless this is shaping up to be a fine looking forum knife & I'll certainly pick one up.

I am going to go back a page and talk about the EO notch... that is a no go for me on this knife. If someone wants a notch it can be added but you can’t do it the other way around!

I am going to go back a page and talk about the EO notch... that is a no go for me on this knife. If someone wants a notch it can be added but you can’t do it the other way around!
Have no fear, Mike has said that there will be no EO notch.

I want to go back to when I suggested we do a pin/button with this year's knife! :)

A sweet exclusive club badge with a @meako back label would be a real winner!

I'm in the "No Saber Grinds Now", camp, too - notwithstanding the cutting ability, it's already a unique blade shape that isn't being offered on the standard run of clip mains, so why does it have to have a saber grind to make it more unique?... But, the difference in cutting ability will end up being fairly negligible for most people. If you're Bill Howard, you get to say, "I want to do this, and this is your option". And it'll be a fine knife indeed.

Not only a sabre grind, but extra-thick stock as well. Unique for the sake of uniqueness isn't my cup of tea.

I think people are grasping at straws with the blade stock. “Extra thick” is deceiving. Thicker stock, which this knife will have vs the typical GEC blade stock, doesn’t mean it’ll be 1/4”.

This knife is based off a jumbo jack type pattern which, gasp, had thicker stock than smaller jacks of the same pattern. Ohhhh the horror!!

By the way, the regular run knives will have thicker stock as well.

I'm in the "No Saber Grinds Now", camp, too - notwithstanding the cutting ability, it's already a unique blade shape that isn't being offered on the standard run of clip mains, so why does it have to have a saber grind to make it more unique?... But, the difference in cutting ability will end up being fairly negligible for most people. If you're Bill Howard, you get to say, "I want to do this, and this is your option". And it'll be a fine knife indeed.

I wonder if any of the regular run 86 knives will have a saber grind. That could be telling in the sense that GEC might already have made plans to do it on this run.

This is not word for word, Mike said nothing added on that will involve a poll or additional factory work. No EO notch, and would assume no bails, lanyard holes etc...

I wonder if any of the regular run 86 knives will have a saber grind. That could be telling in the sense that GEC might already have made plans to do it on this run.

If I recall correctly they aren't supposed to. I think you can see on the GEC regular run mock ups they are ffg.

This is not word for word, Mike said nothing added on that will involve a poll or additional factory work. No EO notch, and would assume no bails, lanyard holes etc...
Well that sucks. I don’t care about the EO Mitch, but was really hoping for a bail or tube. I may just have to pass on this one.

Last edited:
Back