Important Info! 2019 Forum Knife : Poll Schedule / Content

One of my favorite movies is 12 Angry Men. It is a little ham-fisted and the characters are stock rather than real, but as a morality play on the jury system it doesn't get much more illustrative, concise, and compelling.

The first reaction of any human comes from prejudice. Prejudices are natural defenses against real dangers, but they are often wrongly directed. When you mix in a process that is inherently prejudicial -- voting for a desired object, activity, political candidate, etc. -- then it is even harder for people to curb their prejudicial reactions. Some people try and learn from their mistakes, but whether people try to learn or not, other people, like Juror #8 in 12 Angry Men, have to be there to step in and be willing to take abuse, suffer social scorn, and still stand up for the process of decision-making in a free society.

I think the moderators do a fine job of allowing members to help one another recognize when they've crossed the line until it becomes apparent that the ones interacting have lost their own composure or self-restraint and need an authority to step in.

I realize that the process of creating and buying a forum knife is a minor experience in the grand scheme of things, but it partakes in some of the foundational aspects of a free association of men and women. There are times when I really wish our living social systems operated more like an online forum where people could hash things out face-to-face with experienced moderators keeping the peace.

There is something humanizing about being able to argue passionately for one's own beliefs or viewpoints with another human being and walk away with mutual respect. The online form removes some of the natural inhibitions that face-to-face interaction produces in most people (though it avoids the physical altercations that can sometimes result!), but I have been more surprised and encouraged by the cohesiveness community of the Porch than I have been shocked at some of the overreactions.

Well said.

knifeswapper knifeswapper - Since you don't think that there will be any Provisional Polls, do you have some idea as to when you and the mods will come out and ask for the "I'm In" thread. I've got to go back and see the man that likes to cut my mouth up and want to be here for the "I'm In" thread. Surely you never doubted that I'd buy at least one but probably two of these knives?

knifeswapper knifeswapper - Since you don't think that there will be any Provisional Polls, do you have some idea as to when you and the mods will come out and ask for the "I'm In" thread.

I really don't know as I have assumed they would handle that. But in reality it may make more sense that I just continue this process of posting updates and links for steps in the process in the original post right here in this thread.

knifeswapper knifeswapper - Thanks for the reply Mike. Maybe this thread should be the avenue for you, Frank, and Gary to kep us up to date on various subjects as applies to this forum knife.

BTW, if anyone actually reads this thread - I have had 15 notifications of international delivery per the original post; more than half of those in Canada. Thus unless many are not paying attention - this seems to be a problem that didn't exist. The factory can handle those themselves.

yA4ZTpj.jpg
A little eye candy.. An old, real deal NF. Not my knife and I don't recall where I found the pic. Drop the pen blade & it looks for all the world like the next BF knife.

Grand shot! Looks like those blades may have ridden the buffer though;)

How many pins is the FK 2019 getting? Four I suppose?

Any likelihood of a blade etch?? Loved the one on the Crown Lifter :cool::D

I just came to a realization, and I want to be clear this is not meant as a complaint or sour grapes, but I realized that since the EO notch, lanyard, and bail are all off the table, I actually don't care what the outcome of any of the other polls are. I'll still be in, as usual (And I still would have preferred Jobillo), but there are no available options that would make this knife a user for me.

That is fine, I have a knife collection after all, and this knife is a tangible symbol to add to that collection. It is just kind of a liberating, yet melancholy, realization I had. The shield and scales will be what they will be.

I'm glad Mike stepped up and I am glad we got to finish out the dots.

I actually think that this year has been relatively peaceful in comparison to some other years. :eek::p. But I think that just goes to show how good of a job that Mike did in choosing our possible options this year, and designing the polls appropriately.

Good point Buzz!

Not only Mike, but this forum is also very well moderated.

A small percentage of people will always jump the dollar and pick up the dime.

But if you just step back and think about it for a moment...

How great is it to get to *pick* the knife, see it built and then have it in hand a few months later!

Life is Good.

- Del

xo4tXRN.jpg

1 THESSALONIANS 4:11

Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

BTW, if anyone actually reads this thread - I have had 15 notifications of international delivery per the original post; more than half of those in Canada. Thus unless many are not paying attention - this seems to be a problem that didn't exist. The factory can handle those themselves.
knifeswapper knifeswapper I’ve sent you the email on the first days...hope you have received it without problems...
Thanks for your concern Mike.

I just came to a realization, and I want to be clear this is not meant as a complaint or sour grapes, but I realized that since the EO notch, lanyard, and bail are all off the table, I actually don't care what the outcome of any of the other polls are. I'll still be in, as usual (And I still would have preferred Jobillo), but there are no available options that would make this knife a user for me.

That is fine, I have a knife collection after all, and this knife is a tangible symbol to add to that collection. It is just kind of a liberating, yet melancholy, realization I had. The shield and scales will be what they will be.

I'm glad Mike stepped up and I am glad we got to finish out the dots.

I’m in the same boat. With the exception that I don’t buy knives I don’t intend to use. Still, I can’t wait to see the final product though.

It seems we are to have a sabre ground blade whether we like it or not. It was the only option offered for this knife and was voted for by a majority.
Did it win for being the one you disliked the least? Or liked the most? I agree with the comments about the cutting mechanics of sabre v flat..
But...this is a Rope Knife....not a razor...not for slicing waffer thin sashimi...nor is it a scalpel or apple peeler....you can buy those separate.
Its a braw,burly sailors rope knife and be assured it will cut you off a manly morsel of hard tack or a Sealions sized slice of salt pork when you're round at Aunty Mavis's house for afternoon tea n biccys..
Then...later that day you can use the sabre
to carve a new figurehead of Aunty Mavis for the ships prow, gaff , gut and fillet a 26ft White Pointer and trim the wick of your whale oil lamp (the one you harpooned and flensed earlier with it) before you snuggle down and dream of a quiet life.
I don't know what any of that means but I love it.
I already have my meako decoder ring on order...they are in short supply so get yours soon:D:p:D

Good point Buzz!

Not only Mike, but this forum is also very well moderated.

A small percentage of people will always jump the dollar and pick up the dime.

But if you just step back and think about it for a moment...

How great is it to get to *pick* the knife, see it built and then have it in hand a few months later!

Life is Good.

- Del

xo4tXRN.jpg

1 THESSALONIANS 4:11

Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.
Way to "BEE", Del!:D:thumbsup:
Mine came with Ovaltine.
:cool::thumbsup:!
Drink More Olvatine!

As soon as the shield poll closes, I guess we will have our knife....
This year is my first time following this process and it’s been interesting to follow the 148 pages and ~2,884 posts of poll threads and the 2,440 votes cast (which doesn’t even include this thread). Now that the determination has been made, what’s the estimated timetable on the ordering thread?

jHRZBm7.jpg
:thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

It's growing on me!

So after it's all said and done...
I went 4 for 7 on the polls not bad! I lost cover material/what wood, and lost the shield (even though I switched to bomb late in the game) ;)

All in all it was fun and thanks guys and gals for helping in designing a great classic looking knife! :thumbsup: Thanks Mike and to all the Mods who were a part of this! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back