• Wood Jigged

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Micarta

Votes: 17 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
These are all the production total entries that had the word "wood" in it used over the last few years (to 2015).
African_Blackwood
American_Chestnut_Wood
Beer_Barrel_Oak_Wood
Bloodwood
Brazilian_Rosewood
Brown_Dymond_Wood
Charred_Barrel_Oak_Wood
Che_Chen_Rosewood
Cherry_Stained_Wood
Cocobolo_Wood
Desert_Ironwood
East_Indian_Rosewood
Ebony_Wood
Exotic_Mexican_Bocote_Wood
Jigged_Brazilian_Cherry_Wood
Jobillo_Wood
Kingwood
Oil_Sucker_Rod_Wood
Old_Barn_Chestnut_Wood
Old_Pine_Wood
Osage_Orange_Wood
Palo_Santo_Wood
Pine_Deckwood
Ship_Deck_Wood
Snakewood
Teak_Wood
Tiger_Maple_Wood
Yellowheart_Wood

Nice work, but there are a few missing. Bocote wood (non-exotic), Kauri, bubinga, jigged bubinga, wenge, and the burls that were produced as factory test runs in 2007 come to mind.
HcQ9kKG.jpg

Last edited:
Jigged bone for me. Some of my favorite knives in my collection are bareheads with jigged bone. Another one would be most welcome. However, I don’t have a traditional with desert ironwood scales, and i’ve been wanting one. I wish koa could be a choice too.

Nice work, but there are a few missing. Bocote wood (non-exotic), Kauri, bubinga, jigged bubinga, wenge, and the burls that were produced as factory test runs in 2007 come to mind.
HcQ9kKG.jpg
I only went back to 2015 :) Here is the full list...
African_Blackwood
American_Cherry_Wood
American_Chestnut_Wood
American_Walnut_Wood
Ancient_Kauri_Wood
Beer_Barrel_Oak_Wood
Birds_Eye_Maple_Wood
Black_Diamond_Wood
Black_Ebony_Wood
Bloodwood
Bocote_Wood
Brazilian_Rosewood
Brown_Diamond_Wood
Brown_Dyed_Curly_Maple_Wood
Brown_Dymond_Wood
Bubinga_Jigged_Wood
Bubinga_Wood
Charred_Barrel_Oak_Wood
Che_Chen_Rosewood
Cherry_Stained_Wood
Chestnut_Wood
Cocobolo_Rosewood
Cocobolo_Wood
Coconut_Palm_Wood
Curly_Maple_Wood
Dark_Cocobolo_Wood
Dark_King_Wood
Deep_Woods_Green_Jig_Bone
Desert_Ironwood
Double_Abalone_Diamond_Snakewood
Double_Ivory_Diamond_Bocote_Wood
East_Indian_Rosewood
Ebony_Wood
Exotic_Mexican_Bocote_Wood
Gabon_Ebony_Wood
GEC_Snakewood
Green_Diamond_Wood
Jigged_American_Cherry_Wood
Jigged_Bocote_Wood
Jigged_Brazilian_Cherry_Wood
Jigged_Bubinga_Wood
Jigged_Cherry_Wood
Jigged_Wenge_Wood
Jobillo_Wood
Kiaat_Wood
Kingwood
Lace_Wood
Leopard_Wood
Oil_Sucker_Rod_Wood
Old_Barn_Chestnut_Wood
Old_Pine_Wood
Osage_Orange_Wood
Palo_Santo_Wood
Pine_Deckwood
Pine_Wood
Pomele_Wood
Purple_Heart_Wood
Rosewood
Saw_Cut_American_Cherry_Wood
Ship_Deck_Wood
Smooth_American_Cherry_Wood
Smooth_Brazilian_Cherry_Wood
Smooth_Brown_Wood_Bone
Snakewood
Sucker_Rod_Wood
Teak_Deck_Wood
Teak_Wood
Tiger_Maple_Wood
Tulip_Wood
Walnut_Wood
Yellowheart_Wood
Zebra_Wood
Zericote_Wood

Last edited:
Oh, my apologies.

While I have your attention. Can we please have a mock-up in Egg Harbor Black? I haven’t seen one in a while and I have always liked it. Although I am not sure if GEC can reproduce it - it is an early style (2008).

fEB2MYp.jpg

kHmVpC9.jpg

Last edited:
Any bone on a GEC knife over the last 10 years or so, has been done by GEC's "Bone Room".
Culpepper bone is not a style; they were the supplier of much of the bone the first 2 or so years of GEC production. Carved pumpkin, Brimstone, etc.

Yes.

Cost was not a consideration on the stag; it was intentionally excluded from the list at the factory. Didn't ask why.

Just guessing here but GEC has stated in the last year or so that good stag has been hard to source especially in the larger sizes.

I voted for smooth wood and will vote for ebony, hard to beat tradition. Would be happy with jigged bone also as long as it is random jigging. I would guess that GEC would not do checkered as well done checkering is expensive and time consuming to do and poorly done checkering looks cheap.

IMG_8768.jpg

I like ebony well enough, but look how sweet that bone is in comparison - more depth, more warmth, more yum. And a nice shield to boot!

I’ve seen too many ugly jigged bone for me to vote for it. I’d love sawcut... but I went with smooth wood as I think it’ll be nice and consistent.

- tiger maple? Snake wood? Those would looks so nice

Last edited:
I like ebony well enough, but look how sweet that bone is in comparison - more depth, more warmth, more yum. And a nice shield to boot!

Problem is GEC has been hit or miss with jigged bone, they don't do good random jigging very often, most of the time the jigging has a pattern or is very coarse jigging such as Cougar Clawed, they have done some excellent random jigging before such as Charlies Navy knife.

Acrylic, because this is not any knife and she marks a kind of celebration of this place, some really stand out of the ordinary and it's been some time since there's been one as BFK. My 2cts. ;)

Ended up voting jigged bone strictly due to fear ebony would run away in the smooth wood vote. Don't get me wrong, I like ebony just fine, but as other seem to have said, it doesn't inspire me on a knife where we could go for more unique or more visually interesting to me. Now, if I was confident in things like bloodwood or a nice snakewood being offered and it being chosen over ebony, I'd likely want that route. Preferably without a shield.

I'd favor jigged wood. Suggest Walnut or Chestnut as 2 woods that could look excellent and be other than run of the mill, wood offerings. Both, not hard to find imports.

Jigged bone is an excellent choice too if the jigging is not perfunctory.

Ray

Any bone on a GEC knife over the last 10 years or so, has been done by GEC's "Bone Room".
Thanks Mike for reiterating this point. I’m voting for jigged bone based on this point. If GEC says “any jigged bone done in the last 10 years or so”, then they mean just that. Speculation to the contrary is counterproductive.

The good looking jigged bone renditions that Darren has kindly photoshopped for us used the Chestnut Jigged bone from Charlie’s Campagna’s last Diamond Jack SFO from 2017.

FbFquZv.jpg

A11D67DD-2030-473C-9352-2F3326C1601E.jpeg

For me, this version would be perfect. Well, maybe with a slightly smaller version of the shield.412C248B-239D-45BF-80C1-D765AC7F3854.jpeg

Last edited:
Aww man! The Beer barrel oak would be so great on this knife. I don't know if that would actually be a possibility, and I assume it would get maybe two votes, but I would like it. Ship deck wood would be great as well.

Something tells me GEC doesn’t have another old beer barrel just lying around.

I have my vote on smooth bone for now. I was torn between wood and bone, but with all of the overwhelming support for Ebony, I may vote for Bone. Ebony is a very common wood used by GEC, and I think the forum knife needs something else.

I would like to see a wood with nice grain contrast. The Jobillo, Snakewood, Cocobolo, and Iron wood would all get my vote, but Ebony is just too common.

At least with jigged bone we could get an interesting jigging pattern or a nice color.

Although acrylic will never happen, that was my vote.

I could go for a good sawcut bone though. Sawcut looks stellar when it is a long cut like on the below images. I always loved the Michigan jack red sawcut and the chestnut on the Beer Scout. Deep denim/royal blue would be nice too.

TCpenback4_zps71900190.jpg

upload_2019-3-5_8-17-40.jpeg
upload_2019-3-5_8-17-52.jpeg
2019_bf_red_sawcut_no_shield_barehead-jpg.1085079

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back