• Cocobolo

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Che Chen

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
tough one. lots of really good choices..
gonna have to ponder before voting........

I love Bloodwood. It does darken with age and handling. After a few years this one to started losing the red and getting dark.
XYh36pC.jpg

I voted black wood when I first opened the thread... but now blood. Iron looks great too. Who knows, I may switch again. Truth is I don’t have many wood knives. A few ebony and the trestle pine with quilted sapele. So I’m good with most of what could be chosen.

Really surprised that, out of all the non-black-wood options, bloodwood has the most votes and is leading the poll. I didn’t see that coming. My vote is currently for desert ironwood, but I’d be willing to switch to bloodwood if it needs the votes to win over AB or Ebony.

what a pleasant surprise! Ebony seems to be limping badly....

Strange to see bloodwood in the lead!

It doesn’t have much figure or character conpared to the others, nor any historic connection. And the red colour is take-it-or-leave-it.

Where is the information suggesting the pins are brass?

Good to see the clear information on CITES restrictions and availability, thanks

My preferences based on listed availability.

Jobillo
African Blackwood
Che chen

But if the pins must be brass, Blackwood drops off.

Some Jobillo to remind us why to love it!

1rdhqZf.jpg

And some Che chen rosewood and chestnut to explain why woods with character are so great

Wk3XiVo.jpg

Last edited:
I get the feeling half the voters think ebony/blackwood is boring, and the other half will be disappointed if it doesn't come out "none more black" o_O

Is bloodwood one that darkens over time? (osage does, too) That's good to know, if folks are voting for it because of the red color.

I'm having a tougher time with this choice than I thought I would.
ZTbBAgb.jpg

Bloodwood doesn't darken over time and is mostly a shade of red. Surprised about the Bloodwood lead. Ironwood or Che Chen rosewood figured would be lead or second. Can't go wrong with any except Osage and jobillo...

In the end, Que sera sera. I’m buying one no matter what. There is no wrong choice. Some will be pleased while others won’t. Having got the disclaimer out of the way...Ebony or Blackwood is my choice, because of what I consider its’ classic beauty and appropriateness for this knife. African Blackwood goes back thousands of years. Used for all sorts of art and ornamentation. Ebony is a gem of a wood, even if it isn’t always black. I also consider a darker wood an excellent counter point to this blade.

Perhaps there are some who are less than pleased that jigged bone wasn’t chosen and would like something more exciting to them. I understand this. I understand that they consider Ebony or African Blackwood boring. This I think comes from a philosophical difference. I’m only guessing that some of the jigged bone lovers are more taken by the handles than the blade, while others who desire the darker wood see this project more holistically. If I’m wrong in my speculation, then “school me.”

Finally, regarding the endangered, restricted list, I would want to know from someone in an authoritative position to inform us. So whatever is chosen is cool. No right. No wrong.

I wonder if GEC can make the banner shield tiny like the mock up. That's a shield that's probably near 2" long..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back