2019 Traditional Forum Knife...The First Poll

Which pattern will be the basis for the 2019 Traditional Forum Knife (see post for details)

• GEC 86

Votes: 212 52.3%
  • Fox knives 521

Votes: 33 8.1%
  • Buck 192 (Vanguard) fixed blade

Votes: 160 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
A Saber Ground blade, in my experience, is not a good slicer. They look pretty but don't slice cleanly. Open up a can of Spam and try to slice a nice even, narrow, piece off and watch the disappointment in the eyes of everyone around you when they realize they're going to have to make a sandwich with wavy, uneven, pieces of Spam. Oh the agony of it.

Now, a flat ground blade makes a wonderful slicer. Maybe we ought to forget saber ground and go with flat ground like these knives.

Gc1s9Yj.jpg

A Swedge as seen on the Case knives would be icing on the cake.

If we went this route, I could change my vote from Buck to GEC.

I agree, but GEC has made a ton of flat ground sheepsfoot knives, including the 2017 bladeforums knife. What they’ve never done before is a saber ground sheepsfoot. To me, this is an opportunity to get something significantly different on a pattern that is maybe a little too reminiscent of a few other GEC patterns. I wasn’t really looking forward to the 86 because otherwise because I have a 77.

It would make more of a utility knife than a spam slicer, true, but we have so many spam slicers from GEC already that I think the saber ground would be a fun change of pace.

A Saber Ground blade, in my experience, is not a good slicer. They look pretty but don't slice cleanly. Open up a can of Spam and try to slice a nice even, narrow, piece off and watch the disappointment in the eyes of everyone around you when they realize they're going to have to make a sandwich with wavy, uneven, pieces of Spam. Oh the agony of it.

Now, a flat ground blade makes a wonderful slicer. Maybe we ought to forget saber ground and go with flat ground like these knives.

Gc1s9Yj.jpg

A Swedge as seen on the Case knives would be icing on the cake.

If we went this route, I could change my vote from Buck to GEC.

Modoc ED Modoc ED , I'll take that knife on the far left for my 2019 forum knife. Just pm me your address so that I can get the check in the mail.

I agree, but GEC has made a ton of flat ground sheepsfoot knives, including the 2017 bladeforums knife. What they’ve never done before is a saber ground sheepsfoot. To me, this is an opportunity to get something significantly different on a pattern that is maybe a little too reminiscent of a few other GEC patterns. I wasn’t really looking forward to the 86 because otherwise because I have a 77.

It would make more of a utility knife than a spam slicer, true, but we have so many spam slicers from GEC already that I think the saber ground would be a fun change of pace.

I see your point but a person can never have too many Spam slicers.:)

I'll certainly ask for a wavier. Honestly I've been here for 10 years mostly looking at pictures. :D Having said that, I'll try to engage more. I was completely shocked when I realized that I only had 7 posts and all of those were related to asking for a custom sheath commission from our craftsmen.

I'll certainly ask for a wavier. Honestly I've been here for 10 years mostly looking at pictures. :D Having said that, I'll try to engage more. I was completely shocked when I realized that I only had 7 posts and all of those were related to asking for a custom sheath commission from our craftsmen.

Jump on in, buddy! Welcome to the porch.

When it comes to Spam I go straight for my trusty Polynesian war club. There's nothing better for smashing open the can and rendering the contents into a sloppy foul tasting mess...The nifty multi purpose stone age weapon can then be used to "hockeystick" the whole lot into the bin.
This one is from Easter Island where bickering among the tribes about who would make the new clubs for the year caused a cultural meltdown
20190216-203133.jpg

I've got a Schatt&Morgan Keystone series Slimline Trapper that's sabre ground. I agree with Modoc ED Modoc ED it makes for a pitiful slicer, poor at opening up stuff as well, prob OK for whittling but uh uh:poop:

It's kind of ironic that last year Buck changed from its 'traditional' sabre grind to a flat one for the Forum Knife due to the clamour against sabre. Now GEC imposes it ,no choice :D:D;)

I like that these have a second blade. Added versatility to this knife would be nice if they are to be users. I found last years two blade knife extremely handy!
The GEC is a single blade. That is "carved in stone".
Refer to post number one.

I don't think so. Let's say if GEC could avoid enough cost by doing a flat grind instead of a saber grind maybe a second blade could be added.

There were quite a few polls and options that we voted on last year and it went the direction of what people wanted.

Who is representing the Fox build and why are they not present to answer questions? How flexible are they?

But I thought the whole point about the 86 BF version was that it was intended to be a single to differentiate it from the 2 blade standard Jack run? Special..

As a reminder, The Forum Knives' Sheepfoot tally: 2008 secondary, 2013 Sheepfoot Master, Pen secondary, 2015, Sheepfoot secondary, 2017 Sheepfoot single, 2018 Sheepfoot secondary.

Looks like we need a Sheep Station by now meako meako ? :rolleyes:o_O

We could do with a single SPEAR that's NEVER been done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back