2019 Traditional Forum Knife...The First Poll

Which pattern will be the basis for the 2019 Traditional Forum Knife (see post for details)

• GEC 86

Votes: 212 52.3%
  • Fox knives 521

Votes: 33 8.1%
  • Buck 192 (Vanguard) fixed blade

Votes: 160 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So could I, I hope there WILL be a blade choice poll from GEC but something tells me not....

The preamble in the options list says, covers, bolsters,shield to be polled no blade choice, that's why I don't have any feeling for the GEC offering.
Sorry, Will. 1095 is what I would vote for even if we had ten choices!

There is a 3 month 30 post restriction.

On the poll itself? If so, excellent! Just lots of enthusiastic members then. :)

I must not be able to see the restriction since I qualify or something.

Who is representing the Fox build and why are they not present to answer questions? How flexible are they?

I talked to Fox at SHOT and presented them as an option. When you are trying to flesh out a couple of options you don't give the factory a 200 question form to fill out and take up 5-10 hours of their time having them draw mock-ups or calculate costs. It is just not polite to do when they are only one of x options being presented. I asked them if they would be willing to produce a 400-500 piece run for a forum group in a future choice, which they could limit, of slabs and blade steel. They said, yes. I would not expect any maker to re-tool any component for a 400pc run. But if you have a question that I can answer other than that - please ask away.

Guys, can't we just compromise on this? How about a Vanguard with a 5" long sheepsfoot blade. FFG on 1 side, and saber ground on the other. Pair that with some nice out-gassing celluloid handles, a lanyard, and a cardboard sheath, and bingo - we'll have 100% agreement (nobody is happy). ;)

There were quite a few polls and options that we voted on last year and it went the direction of what people wanted.

Who is representing the Fox build and why are they not present to answer questions? How flexible are they?

Yeah The Fox kind of popped up out of nowhere. I liked it ....I think it was always a rank outsider..being from OS and running up against two superpowers(of traditional knives) I dont think it stood a chance...Heck the poor lil guys dont even have subforum like what we do.

Guys, can't we just compromise on this? How about a Vanguard with a 5" long sheepsfoot blade. FFG on 1 side, and saber ground on the other. Pair that with some nice out-gassing celluloid handles, a lanyard, and a cardboard sheath, and bingo - we'll have 100% agreement (nobody is happy). ;)

I would.:p:eek:

I agree, but GEC has made a ton of flat ground sheepsfoot knives, including the 2017 bladeforums knife. What they’ve never done before is a saber ground sheepsfoot.

I'm not surprised they've never made a sabre-ground Sheepsfoot :rolleyes:

It's also my understanding that the restrictions are for who can buy, not who can vote.

Yes, the poll is open to anyone who opens this thread.

The saber grind might not be perfect for every task, but I’d bet my hat that everyone here has multiple knives. If you needed every knife to be perfectly suited for your exact EDC chores, you’d only have one knife, or multiples of that knife.

Or I'd have a knife with more than one blade .... I don't generally carry two knives unless one is in a sheath. A knife that isn't good at cutting isn't going to find a way into my pocket for long. I'm praying for a lambsfoot here. That's a way to be unique without being silly. I'm hoping for a FFG, normal thickness blade, even if GEC sells one to the public. That would make for a nice user. If an extra thick saber ground sheepsfoot is set in stone, then I'm going to sit this one out. I'm a cutter, not a collector. A folder is by definition light duty. It should cut like a laser. If it's only got one blade, that blade better be well designed.

I talked to Fox at SHOT and presented them as an option. When you are trying to flesh out a couple of options you don't give the factory a 200 question form to fill out and take up 5-10 hours of their time having them draw mock-ups or calculate costs. It is just not polite to do when they are only one of x options being presented. I asked them if they would be willing to produce a 400-500 piece run for a forum group in a future choice, which they could limit, of slabs and blade steel. They said, yes. I would not expect any maker to re-tool any component for a 400pc run. But if you have a question that I can answer other than that - please ask away.

I think that answers all my questions. Thank you for doing the legwork to even get another entry into the race! I was just feeling bad they were not as well represented in terms of promoting their knife and what adjustments they might be willing to make if they were able to move on. The voting was fast and furious though, so it's probably a moot point.

Yeah The Fox kind of popped up out of nowhere. I liked it ....I think it was always a rank outsider..being from OS and running up against two superpowers(of traditional knives) I dont think it stood a chance...Heck the poor lil guys dont even have subforum like what we do.

I agree. I guess at the very least it is a promotional opportunity for them just to be in the race. I own one of their knives, the 271 Elite and I can attest it is very nice knife. Perhaps next year they will have a better chance.

I was just feeling bad they were not as well represented in terms of promoting their knife and what adjustments they might be willing to make if they were able to move on.

I think they were an underdog just because most traditional folks haven't heard the name a lot. But, too many "adjustments" is probably one of the main reasons it is hard to get the makers excited.

Well that is to say last time I looked. Ashamed to say that was over 2 yrs ago.
Something for everyone .

I'm hoping for a FFG, normal thickness blade, even if GEC sells one to the public.

I understand what you’re saying, but I disagree here. If it’s a knife that’s sold to the general public, what’s the point of even doing a special knife? The knife you’re describing has been made before and will be made again, and generally is my preference too. It’s probably most peoples’ preference. But if we boil it down to optimum efficiency and don’t care if it’s something different or special, we’ll end up with a very vanilla knife that GEC has made in some form or another a thousand times, the only difference being the tang stamp.

I understand what you’re saying, but I disagree here. If it’s a knife that’s sold to the general public, what’s the point of even doing a special knife? The knife you’re describing has been made before and will be made again, and generally is my preference too. It’s probably most peoples’ preference. But if we boil it down to optimum efficiency and don’t care if it’s something different or special, we’ll end up with a very vanilla knife that GEC has made in some form or another a thousand times, the only difference being the tang stamp.
Right on. But then I feel same about folks wanting this #86 (assuming it wins) in ebony. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE GECs gabon ebony. That said, you know the chances that they've already planned on making one of their production runs in ebony are astronomically high. That's what they've been doing with their pilot runs lately. 98s, 14s, 13s, 35s, 44s, 97s. They've all had ebony in there.

Again, if it ends up being ebony, I'll still be getting 2, or however many we're allowed this year. Just with all that in mind, hopefully we'll select something like snakewood or Cocobolo or something of the sort. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back