2019 Traditional Forum Knife...The First Poll

Which pattern will be the basis for the 2019 Traditional Forum Knife (see post for details)

• GEC 86

Votes: 212 52.3%
  • Fox knives 521

Votes: 33 8.1%
  • Buck 192 (Vanguard) fixed blade

Votes: 160 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand what you’re saying, but I disagree here. If it’s a knife that’s sold to the general public, what’s the point of even doing a special knife? The knife you’re describing has been made before and will be made again, and generally is my preference too. It’s probably most peoples’ preference. But if we boil it down to optimum efficiency and don’t care if it’s something different or special, we’ll end up with a very vanilla knife that GEC has made in some form or another a thousand times, the only difference being the tang stamp.

What's the point of having a special knife that doesn't cut as well as a production knife? I'd really prefer the premier of a whole new pattern from GEC. A sowbelly comes to mind. If they're going to do a special blade for the existing 86 frame, how about a lambsfoot? They've got to draw up a new design anyway. Different just for the sake of being different is hard for me to get behind. Different is only special if it's better. I'm totally OK with sitting this one out, BTW. None of the options really speak to me at this point and just picking covers and bling isn't going to be nearly the fun that we had last year. It's kinda disappointing, actually. I'm just doing some lobbying in hopes that it might encourage more choices. As soon as I hear that the thick saber ground sheepsfoot is locked in, I'll just shut up and go away.

Fox makes good knives. I would be happy with a simple slip joint made by Fox. It would certainly be a different forum maker and they have a good reputation.
I went looking through their extensive online catalog, and I gotta tell you, that #316 sure is one sexy looking traditional lockback.

Last edited:
What's the point of having a special knife that doesn't cut as well as a production knife? I'd really prefer the premier of a whole new pattern from GEC. A sowbelly comes to mind. If they're going to do a special blade for the existing 86 frame, how about a lambsfoot? They've got to draw up a new design anyway. Different just for the sake of being different is hard for me to get behind. Different is only special if it's better. I'm totally OK with sitting this one out, BTW. None of the options really speak to me at this point and just picking covers and bling isn't going to be nearly the fun that we had last year. It's kinda disappointing, actually. I'm just doing some lobbying in hopes that it might encourage more choices. As soon as I hear that the thick saber ground sheepsfoot is locked in, I'll just shut up and go away.

I'm with you.:cool:

I thought the main 'purpose' of a Sheepfoot blade was that, you can't stab yourself with it, good for 'rescue' situations, it is easy to sharpen, slices well and gives good whittling possibilities, draw cuts etc. ??

Whereas sabre ground blades offer strength, stabbing potential... poor at whittling, good for chopping situations/slashing- acts like a top maul or hatchet.

Seems like it rather negates the Sheepfoot concept? But, it may look good so this is going to be an exhibition knife then? Just try slicing tomato, apples, salami with it or carving?:eek::rolleyes::D then there's cuttin' a plug...;)

The point about Ebony being a near cert for the other runs in this model is valid too. What is still unclear is whether GEC are going to do all the runs in 2 blade Jacks or will there be other singles as well?? This is significant.

The Northwoods seem to be very popular, the grinds sure look similar.

That’s my thinking. If GEC’s Sabre ground blades were totally useless, there would be lots of complaints out there from the thousands of Northwoods knife owners. Yet, it doesn’t seem to be an issue at all...

I’ve owned many Fremont jacks and the grind didn’t hamper the knife one bit.

Last edited:
Saying that a flat grind slices better than a saber grind may be a true statement, but it does NOT mean that a saber grind slices badly. I've always used a sheepfoot as a rough use blade, and the slightly thicker edge should hold up very well.

But what does a saber grind bring to the table, besides being different for different's sake?
Saying that a flat grind slices better than a saber grind may be a true statement, but it does NOT mean that a saber grind slices badly. I've always used a sheepfoot as a rough use blade, and the slightly thicker edge should hold up very well.

Since it looks like GEC is pulling away on this one, maybe we should start throwing ideas out there on what we want on this thing to make it "ours"? I like Buzzbait's ebony (or African Blackwood would be awesome) and "Black Sheep" shield idea.

That could definitely be an Ausie heavy metal band. :p:p:p

I say we do the sheepsfoot 86 in ebony, but a big shield on it, and stamp it "The Black Sheep".

Heavy Sheepfoot blades are for heavy duty cutting: linoleum, heavy lines, drywall, trim wood, loom fixing, etc. This will be the high class collectors version of a working knife. I doubt many of these will be put to the real heavy duty tasks they are designed for (I'd like to see a picture of someone here using theirs with a mallet on a dock) but they will be cool to look at, handle, and display. OH

Don’t shut up and go away, lol. I enjoy discussing pocket knives, that’s what we’re all here for.

GEC is planning on a lambsfoot, but I would guess it will be on a swayback pattern, not a swell end jack.

Just because it’s a saber grind doesn’t mean it won’t cut well. It’ll just be more of a cardboard eater than a tomato slicer.

I definitely would prefer spear or clip or lambsfoot to sheepsfoot.
Spear or clip do have more appeal, and rumor has it a lamb is possible on GEC's regular schedule.

It makes sense. They'll sell way more regular lambs and regular 86s (in spear & clip) then saving either for the small run forum knife.

It's becoming obvious to me that we're getting a sheep offering (and weird grind) simply because it's an odd-ball, not because people will storm the gates for it.

I'll skip the odd-ball and get a regular 86 in clip-point when they're available later this year.
That'll be a fine knife.

Many thanks to Frank, Gary, Mike, and Steve for their efforts in getting this off the ground once again for us all. It is nice to see the options presented, a few select cutlers and patterns that should appeal to the majority of folks interested in acquiring the 2019 forum knife.

Without knowing the flexibility and options that may or may not be available in regards to the Fox offering, it does not get my vote at this time. My experience with Italian cutlery is that they make very fine knives but this is a big knife pattern (reminiscent of a Buck 110) which is not a bad thing but I would almost rather just go with a Buck at that point, especially since I know what they can offer in terms of materials and options.

The Buck 192 is a handsome knife in a size that is both useful and easy to carry. Our experience from having Buck do our forum last year is that we likely will have a lot of options and materials to choose from and that is rather enticing. However, aside from slipjoints, I collect fixed blade knives and I have a number of them already in this particular size range and am even having a couple of customs made up. It is unlikely that the Buck 192 would see a whole lot of use, especially when compared to many of my other blades.

So, at this point, it does not get my vote. However, that is subject to change. I would be quite happy with this knife as our forum option so we will see how the discussion carries.

The GEC #86 is a pattern that has captured my interest since they announced it as a potential new pattern. I favor swell end jacks generally and the 86 is going to fit into that niche rather nicely. If they stick with their plans in regards to offering the proposed blade configuration, I will more than likely be getting a couple of them, especially if the cover choices appeal to me.

That all said, I question the thought process behind choosing a single Sheepfoot as the forum configuration. Though the 15 is a smaller frame, we still had a swell end jack (Barlow) with a single sheepfoot as our forum knife a couple of years ago. I don't count secondary sheepfoot blades as being overdone on other forum knives, simply because a coping blade is just as useful as a big main spear or clip. I have no shortage of straight edged blades so one might think I would be inclined to vote for something other than the 86. Well, as a GEC user, collector, and enthusiast, I would welcome an 86 with a single sheepfoot simply because we would be getting one a number of years before they would consider doing a single blade sheepfoot variation on this pattern as a general run.

At this juncture, the 86 gets my vote (albeit narrowly) but it is also subject to change, the discussion is still early.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. A bit puzzled by the decision to go with another sheep-jack just two years after the last GEC forum knife. A viper or something on the 72 or 73 frame would've been so nice.

Anyway, I'm voting GEC in hopes that the details make this one really special. If it ends up being ebony with a bar shield or some sort of micarta I'm probably not going to pick one up. GEC has the ability to really spruce up a more mundane choice so hopefully the Porchington townsfolk take advantage!

Not as well doesn't mean badly, but there is a performance hit. I won't take the performance hit just to have something unique. There's a well-known manufacturer of moderns that has done a lot of saber grinds. I've used many of them and have been unimpressed. They love to bind in cardboard, for example. As to the harder use thing, I don't need extra strength from the blade of a folder. I have other tools for when things get rugged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back