2020 GEC #23 Trapper Thread

Muslin micarta with winter bottom type jigging

I think these will be $125ish. $110-$150 spread.

The Shaner and AMKCA sit within that range.

Yes, Grady (the president of the Shaner Sportsmen's club) said it's new jigging. I'm really looking forward to it.

Getting both the AMKCA and Shaner. I was going to get a stag too.

Hopefully a short surprise run.

Also, I hope they do some non liner lock single blades. I don't like the huge tab they put on liner locks. I know it's traditional, but I just don't like it.
Allegheny Mountain Knife Collectors Association club knives were $135 & $6 shipped. (35 pieces) The OKCA knife was $156 picked up at the Spring Oregon Knife Show or $20 extra shipped in the USA. The money is raised to sponsor the knife show. (105 pieces) - only 50 are numbered

Last edited:
Can someone pm me on how to get these notifications?
Go to the GEC web-sight and save every dealer web-sight address on your computer. Register and sign in on every GEC dealer web-sight. Each web-sight has a notification email system. Collector Knives has a pre-order notification system. When the knife arrives , you pay-pal the invoice. "GREAT EASTERN KNIFE COLLECTING IS WAR !" HAPPY HUNTING ! Always check the prices , free or hidden shipping

This will give you insite into new releases. ;)
It will help you locate knives for sale much easier. The Great Eastern Cutlery web-sight has a "PRODUCTION SCHEDULE" . Click on "PRODUCTION SCHEDULE" for future production GEC knives. This list changes frequently and some of the postings are not accurate at this time. The GEC web-sight computer employee is on bereavement leave. GEC will fix the web-sight listings ASAP soon.

Last edited:
We're not supposed to discuss the buying process.

The ongoing changes to the 23 production schedule look like the best lawsuit I have seen since I read “The Never Ending Story”! Talk about straight up fraud! The story actually ended. I was soooo mad........

Haha :D

No one prepays for these knives. If it ends up different than you were hoping, just don't buy it.

Allegheny Mountain Knife Collectors Association club knives were $130 shipped. 25 to 30 pieces The OKCA knife was $156 picked up at the Spring Oregon Knife Show or $20 extra shipped in the USA. The money is raised to sponsor the knife show. 105 pieces - only 50 are numbered

Yep I was at the meeting when it was decided, though I thought they were $135. Also, I believe they decided on 35. I have been involved somewhat in the process. I'm excited for them!

Last edited:
We're not supposed to discuss the buying process.

Haha :D

No one prepays for these knives. If it ends up different than you were hoping, just don't buy it.

Yep I was at the meeting when it was decided, though I thought they were $135. Also, I believe they decided on 35. I have been involved somewhat in the process. I'm excited for them!
Two arm people get to pay when the invoice comes in. One arm bandits like me, have to pay up front in full. Baw-ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Sunday night email, Linda C. told me that AMKCA had one week to get the money and order numbers to GEC. I went straight to my bank on Monday morning and my money order was sent. "No Pussyfooting Around !"

Last edited:
I'm excited to see how both the mesquite and blue camel turn out. GEC has quite a few examples of blue camel over the past few years. We can see anything from completely blue to almost white with just a hint of blue. Every blue camel will be unique. I highly prefer the washed out versions of camel. Below is a blue camel 78 SFO from a year or two ago. As far as the mesquite goes... I'm crossing my fingers it's mesquite burl...

ejorhJv.jpg

It will help you locate knives for sale much easier. The Great Eastern Cutlery web-sight has a "PRODUCTION SCHEDULE" . Click on "PRODUCTION SCHEDULE" for future production GEC knives. This list changes frequently and some of the postings are not accurate at this time. The GEC web-sight computer employee is on bereavement leave. GEC will fix the web-sight listings ASAP soon.

Yes. Perhaps I should have said that it would give one incite into future production. ;)

Back to GEC#23 Trapper knives. The past GEC#23 Trapper two blade have strong pulls. I never one held yet ? I did not pull the trigger on the Shrade red and brown jigged bone #23 Jumbo Trappers in 2018 , when I discovered GEC. Sixty-three GEC knives later , I don't chase past knives that I missed. The best GEC knives are yet to come. Brazilian Cherrywood , Smooth Antique Autumn , Exotic India bone , blue camel , Brown bone(maybe Chocolate Almond color?) , antique jigged bone ,smooth Goldenrod natural bone , and mesquite wood. What a wonderful selection on this GEC run. I even pre-ordered a GEC#23LL Trapper Muslim micarta knife , just to see if I like it. I am going to be very pleased with this run.

I'm excited to see how both the mesquite and blue camel turn out. GEC has quite a few examples of blue camel over the past few years. We can see anything from completely blue to almost white with just a hint of blue. Every blue camel will be unique. I highly prefer the washed out versions of camel. Below is a blue camel 78 SFO from a year or two ago. As far as the mesquite goes... I'm crossing my fingers it's mesquite burl...

ejorhJv.jpg
Mike Latham does not cherry pick his tradition knives. That gives everybody the same chance of obtaining the best one. I have bought some wonderful scale knives from him. That Mesquite wood comes from a wood dealer in Texas. It is cool when a GEC dealer aquires the wood for the factory. If the wood has no character , just use it and it will patina nicely. I love to carry my least favorite knives, so I end up loving them too.

I've seen it on fixed blade knife handles. It looks great if you like contour lines.
W31n9lj.jpg

While I’m sure that’s called “woodland Micarta,” it’s not what’ll be on these knives. GEC has already posted in-progress photos. Their Woodland Micarta is basically their Muslin Micarta with dark grooves cut into it.

cYugYhy.jpg

The finished product should look something like the handles on this fixed blade knife shown here:

Yes, if I remember correctly they did a H10 fixed blade sometime within the past couple years or so... will search around for pic.

found a pic, credit collectorknives.net

GEH10118WM-1-600x450.jpg

Huh, seems like some sense prevailed and with the schedule update yesterday, instead of having 4 Jigged Brazilian Cherry variations it's been narrowed down a bit. As I'm taking a closer look at things the Blue Camel is no longer listed as a liner lock o_O... and the Tidioute liner locks are gone...

Edit: GEC corrected the prior update to the production schedule. The blue camel and Tidioute liner locks are back. Hooray!

Last edited:
Huh, seems like some sense prevailed and with the schedule update yesterday, instead of having 4 Jigged Brazilian Cherry variations it's been narrowed down a bit. As I'm taking a closer look at things the Blue Camel is no longer listed as a liner lock o_O... and the Tidioute liner locks are gone...

Good catch, I'm guessing that GEC has gone overboard on their editing and the single blades will still have liner locks?? I wouldn't mind seeing some offered with a strong pull, without liner locks....but it would be nice to still have the liner lock option.

Hey Guys,

I have never seen a GEC liner lock folding knife in person. How well does the liner lock work? Is it a strong lock? Does the liner lock cause hot spots?

Thanks,

Geoff

While I’m sure that’s called “woodland Micarta,” it’s not what’ll be on these knives. GEC has already posted in-progress photos. Their Woodland Micarta is basically their Muslin Micarta with dark grooves cut into it.

cYugYhy.jpg

The finished product should look something like the handles on this fixed blade knife shown here:
I'm not a huge fan of the "grooved" micarta... but I've never seen one in person. I might love it. If the grooves are very shallow, I think I would like it more. Of course, I'm fairly sure I can do a "field modification" of mine, if the grooves are deeper than I want..

I also noticed that they removed the liner lock designation. I hope that this update is correct, but I'm sure it's not.

Hey Guys,

I have never seen a GEC liner lock folding knife in person. How well does the liner lock work? Is it a strong lock? Does the liner lock cause hot spots?

Thanks,

Geoff

Hey Geoff,

The lock works fine. It's still a slipjoint in the sense that it still has the backspring, just with a liner lock added. In my opinion the tab for the liner locks are overly large.

How well does the liner lock work?
As well as any other liner locks I've seen or used.

Is it a strong lock?
As strong as a liner lock can be.
They use decent thickness on their liners.
A lock is no substitute for common sense and properly using your knife.

Does the liner lock cause hot spots?
Yes, it can because it protrudes from the handle.
Also, a liner lock on a slip joint can be a little fidgety to close.

Back