2020 GEC #33 Conductor Thread

I think the curvature kinda throws it off for me when I set it next to some of my other knives. Pretty silly I know, but sometimes we're a fickle group.
Ha... I thought I was the only one bugged by this.
It messes with my OCD a bit and have to keep my curved and swayback knives in a separate group. :D

Don't get me wrong, the pocket carver is a neat little knife, but I think the curvature kinda throws it off for me when I set it next to some of my other knives. Pretty silly I know, but sometimes we're a fickle group.
We’re not fickle..we’re discerning. I warmed up to the 62 pattern and it’s my favorite small office knife...well I got a lot of favorites but I seem to keep buying 62s. GEC didn’t do me any favors with all the options available. I’d like the 33 more I think in a smooth white bone or a wood...maybe mesquite.

maybe mesquite.

I would love to see more knives with mesquite handles, as long as it's the more "grainy" mesquite like Mike sourced for his SFO. I put a mesquite handle on a Mora blade, but it's very plain... basically bland.
A mesquite 33 or 62 would be the cat's a... um, "meow"..

On a whim I looked into mesquite for woodworking and no wonder it’s a little scarce. It’s Twisted, cross-grained, harder than oak and it doesn’t get very big. Really lends itself to small projects but I can see how it’s not very viable commercially.

Mesquite is pretty popular in my area . It’s pretty much a shrub but will grow 80’ or so . Most crown under 10’ and tend to twist or bend . Finding straight lumber over 8’ is a challenge. It’s best suited for smaller pieces and / or designs that allow for its natural characteristics . It’s dense and stable once dry but tends to crack while drying . Expect to use a lot of epoxy / butterfly keys . It’s used quite a bit as flooring and BBQ wood . The small box was leftover flooring I pulled off a job site

Edit: it’s also very rot resistance and makes good fence post. ABA143D8-0ED8-44AD-B44E-BA0F4F99F896.jpeg

Mesquite is pretty popular in my area . It’s pretty much a shrub but will grow 80’ or so . Most crown under 10’ and tend to twist or bend . Finding straight lumber over 8’ is a challenge. It’s best suited for smaller pieces and / or designs that allow for its natural characteristics . It’s dense and stable once dry but tends to crack while drying . Expect to use a lot of epoxy / butterfly keys . It’s used quite a bit as flooring and BBQ wood . The small box was leftover flooring I pulled off a job site

Edit: it’s also very rot resistance and makes good fence post. View attachment 1396608
Love the box, It’s got knife storage written all over it.

These guys sure do know how to take a great picture.
HzD2KFg.jpg

Love the box, It’s got knife storage written all over it.
My users go in the top drawer and miscellaneous junk in the lower. I’m in the process on making bigger cabinets with small drawers to incorporate bigger collections. Not in mesquite though, cherry and walnut

My users go in the top drawer and miscellaneous junk in the lower. I’m in the process on making bigger cabinets with small drawers to incorporate bigger collections. Not in mesquite though, cherry and walnut
The wood and dovetails look great, I’ve been looking around online for a used U.S. made machinist box but not finding much at a price I could deal with. Your 2 drawer looks awesome and makes me think I should just try and build my own.

I'll second the motion for both of you.

I ~think~ I nabbed one. Complete luck as I had given up and was just cruising the sites at lunch after a busy morning. Things appear to have changed in the 5 years since GEC last made a knife that interested me. Remember when there were only a couple of sites that carried them and you could pick and choose among the different photos till you found the perfect one?

It is exhausting. And it isn't something I enjoy. I only wanted one of them because I bought THE knife 10 years ago and couldn't bring myself to carry and age a 2nd-cut Conductor I bought back in the day. Wanted one strictly for carry. I have a job where you need a knife occasionally but are in an environment where there is no tolerance for anything resembling a weapon.

Ah well. This is probably going to be the last one I buy unless one of mine breaks.... or Tony Bose makes a mini-copperhead collaboration with Case.

Will

PS: Do they still put those ridiculous numbers on the bolsters? I have probably 20 GEC knives and have managed to avoid ever getting one with the ID # on it.

Another GEC Dealer had a fresh batch of Woodland Micarta #23LL , Northfield antique Autumn natural bone #23LL , and the #33 jigged bone conductor knives. After seeing the natural bone #23LL , "Did GEC receive some new bovine Cattle bone ?"! (NOT CONFIRMED YET !)

Last edited:
Olde Towne Cutlery had a fresh batch of Woodland Micarta #23LL , Northfield antique Autumn natural bone #23LL , and the #33 jigged bone conductor knives. After seeing the natural bone #23LL , "Did GEC receive some new bovine Cattle bone ?"! (NOT CONFIRMED YET !)
I hope so! I am still wanting to get a bullet LL 23.

Wow these go so fast, managed to get one via DLT
Missed another drop this morning but this afternoon I pulled into my favorite taco stand, ran in to order then out to wait and check my dwindling list of options and Scored! Got my confirmation email and tacos almost simultaneously. I ate and checked the site again and they were all gone. Happy hombre here.

Yeah I just happened to be checking my email when it arrived in my box so I ordered via my phone, 2 seconds later I went to my PC to look at the photos on their website and they were gone :eek:

Back