2020 GEC#47 VIPER RUN

Mike, how exactly does the standby system work? Priority based on time registered determined by the number of folks that pass on their reserved knives? Just curious, thanks.

Zac

It's essentially one long list of emails in the order the submit button was pushed. We go straight down the list.

I'm afraid I am guilty of being one of those 20. Being a software engineer, I have the "luxury" of always being in front of a computer and I generally work with good hardware and an excellent connection. That said, I've still been skunked in the past... All it takes is for me to get up and refill my coffee :oops:, walk the dogs, etc.

This time, I was bent on finding success, I've wanted this pattern for a very long time and opportunities on the secondary market are slim to none. I had just started my debugger when the notification hit - I shut it off in a hurry as that can sometimes throttle my speed. I think I did ok, not only for myself but also for a buddy whose circumstances don't allow him much success with these sorts of things (hopefully that's not frowned upon).

Glad you had eyes on it.

I think ive had the page open for the last couple days. All i had to do was refresh when i got the notification. But it goes to show that no matter how you prepare, if you dont understand the rules, you can crack under the gec pressure.

Mike is just one of 20 or so dealers so his allotment is small compared to a Northwoods drop.
A little late, just like the reserves today. Lol

Yes, NW are 500pc drops on one dealer site. This was 1100pcs total production of which I am one of twenty or so dealers.

I understand. The point I was trying to make is Northwoods used to be the knives that were hard to obtain. Recently it seems it's even harder to obtain a standard GEC knife.

Last edited:
The point I was trying to make is Northwoods used to be the knives that were hard to obtain. Now it's even harder to obtain a standard GEC knife.

I understood your point. You are talking about @1/10th the number of knives - it will be harder. There are 19+ other dealers that have not even dropped them yet. But it is not just "standard GEC knife"; it is actually one of the most sought after knives of 2020. #23's are no problem to pick up, still. #19's are staying on sites for some time these days and not hard at all to acquire. #74's were in high demand, but still very attainable. So, it really boils down to the most demanded knives are harder to get.

Like a lot of you, I had the page ready, just needed a refresh and submit. I had my phone in my hand when the telegram came in, did the process and they were on standby by the time the page loaded. I’m on standby for stag and ironwood.
Might sound like it, but I’m not bitter, I think I can still probably get one. Just wish I wouldn’t have to stress over it ha!
Glad to see some were able to reserve!

At least 20 people have been sitting on the page since GEC announced them. I started to log everyone off right before sending the notice but decided that wasn't fair. Am not getting very many and got 400% oversubscribed before I could turn off the spigot. Had over 300 people on the page within 30 seconds. Good news - the notification system works like a champ. Bad news - standby is not a good place to be. So sorry if you didn't get your name in - wish I was getting 1000 of them.
Well, the GOOD thing is, about a day after they ship, you'll be able to buy one at about double the price, here on the exchange. :rolleyes:

edit:.... and Italy makes some really fine knives.... and you can actually BUY them....:cool::thumbsup:

Yeah, I’m about as excited about GEC’s right now as I am about Ferraris. Unattainable or unreasonably priced.

At least the knives are dependable ;) neighbour of mine was keeping a Ferrari in one of the garages a few years ago, looked OK-if you can stand bright red ;):poop: - but it was always giving trouble and a small fortune must've been spent in maintenace :eek:

At least 20 people have been sitting on the page since GEC announced them. I started to log everyone off right before sending the notice but decided that wasn't fair. Am not getting very many and got 400% oversubscribed before I could turn off the spigot. Had over 300 people on the page within 30 seconds. Good news - the notification system works like a champ. Bad news - standby is not a good place to be. So sorry if you didn't get your name in - wish I was getting 1000 of them.

I had the page open on my computer and on my phone (in the background), but was away from both during the drop, so I didn't even see the notification until 45 minutes later. But it is ok. GEC still isn't as hard to get as Pappy Van Winkle. :D

We need some pictures :)

OXJIMxb.png

Back