2020 is coming...

Just ordered one...couldn't resist the unique factor! Created an account and save $18 too!:thumbsup:

So has the ltspecpro site gone away? Tried going there and the homepage would appear for a second, but then would be redirected to the CS site.

Got it yesterday! Being used to carrying a Grik, this thing is laughable to me, but so cool too! And that S/N tho!:cool:

One thing I noticed right off the bat is that the liner lock is very difficult to disengage. It is knurled, but doesn't provide much traction, so I basically have to stick the tip of my index finger through the thumstud cutout, and push the lock over that way, but it is still difficult.

Last edited:
Got it yesterday! Being used to carrying a Grik, this thing is laughable to me, but so cool too! And that S/N tho!:cool:

One thing I noticed right off the bat is that the liner lock is very difficult to disengage. It is knurled, but doesn't provide much traction, so I basically have to stick the tip of my index finger through the thumstud cutout, and push the lock over that way, but it is still difficult.

View attachment 1278120

View attachment 1278111
Thanks for sharing. Both of my XHP Ti-Lites are difficult to disengage as well, compared to the AUS8 model I used to have.

Any release date on the Drop Forged Wasp?
I'm looking forward to this one!

I picked up the FGX version to get an idea of the proportions.
Very nice!
I think it'll be everything I always wanted the Gerber MkII to be.
Not surprising as I'm a big fan of the DF series anyway!

I'm with you buddy. The Wasp is one of many cool pieces that I want this year. Just waiting for more shipments to my preferred vendor.

Mine is on the way also. The wait is frustrating, as I'm told that when you order from CS on the phone, you don't get tracking information when it is shipped.

Mine is on the way also. The wait is frustrating, as I'm told that when you order from CS on the phone, you don't get tracking information when it is shipped.
Hmm never ordered from them but I may in the future now that I know that being a registered user gets a discount. They don’t ask for an email address and send the tracking info if you order by phone?

I don't recall if they asked for an email address, but when I asked about tracking info, they said that they don't do that with phone orders. I've got two knives that are in shipment, and one in repair, and have no way to anticipate their delivery dates. That makes it difficult to plan any travel away from home.

I don't recall if they asked for an email address, but when I asked about tracking info, they said that they don't do that with phone orders. I've got two knives that are in shipment, and one in repair, and have no way to anticipate their delivery dates. That makes it difficult to plan any travel away from home.

Cold Steel uses FedEx for shipping. If you sign up for FedEx's delivery manager it will let you know when it will arrive. Just look for CSI for the shipper.

Ok, so what's your review?
It's in my top 3 offerings for this year. I'm a huge fan of this style of knife. It's thick, strong and innovative in terms of the lock (backlock/linerlock combo). I used to carry the Buck 110 on my belt before I deemed it too sentimental to continue carrying (grandfathers knife). This will happily replace it in my EDC. The belt sheath is a great color and good materials, it's not too light nor too heavy. It's a knife that will be passed down through generations as the Buck 110, totally classic and timeless. The metal is beautifully polished and finished, the scales are comfortable, lock is easy to use. I have horses and prefer this style of knife when working at the barn, keeps the pockets free and comfortable and easily accessible on the belt, right next to the Leatherman. You immediately notice the old school rancher vibe, kind of cool.

It's in my top 3 offerings for this year. I'm a huge fan of this style of knife. It's thick, strong and innovative in terms of the lock (backlock/linerlock combo). I used to carry the Buck 110 on my belt before I deemed it too sentimental to continue carrying (grandfathers knife). This will happily replace it in my EDC. The belt sheath is a great color and good materials, it's not too light nor too heavy. It's a knife that will be passed down through generations as the Buck 110, totally classic and timeless. The metal is beautifully polished and finished, the scales are comfortable, lock is easy to use. I have horses and prefer this style of knife when working at the barn, keeps the pockets free and comfortable and easily accessible on the belt, right next to the Leatherman. You immediately notice the old school rancher vibe, kind of cool.
Really appreciate hearing directly from Cold Steel, perhaps even from Mr. Thompson himself. It's nice to be able to interact .

Really appreciate hearing directly from Cold Steel, perhaps even from Mr. Thompson himself. It's nice to be able to interact .
Yes, it is nice to have feedback directly from Cold Steel. They are a great company, and I would like to thank Mr Thompson for producing such great products at reasonably prices. You have had the courage to market items that no other company dares to produce in these days of political correctness. I have been a steady customer since the 1980's, and appreciate the law enforcement and military discount made available to so many who have put themselves in harm's way for the greater good. I do have knives by other companies, but the majority of my purchases are Cold Steel. Thanks again for consistently producing the strongest, sharpest knives at common man prices. I just felt that this needed to be said, in light of all the hatred and vitriol directed at Cold Steel and Lynn personally.

Thank you for the review; as others have said, love to hear direct from CS. Could you post an actual picture of the knife ahead of release ?

As for the picture on the CS website - to me, the knife doesn't look good. The brown of the scales looks faded; is the actual color of the end of the scales white, white, as pictured ? Also, for me personally, I don't like shields in the handle that don't have text ("Cold Steel" or better "Ranch Boss II", instead of on the blade - I know, cost).

I love the look of the original limited edition Ranch Boss (careful of the seller on the bay that lists several knives as "Ranch Boss" - the knives are not numbered, have no "S35VN", and were not released by Cold Steel). Of course that is a different beast / price point. I recently picked up an original limited edition Ranch Boss (which is an amazing knife and worth every penny !), just trying to see if I should be getting excited for the Ranch Boss II. As of the current picture on the CS website - I'm not, but that's just my personal preference. Please post a picture if you can - thank you !

Last edited:
The SRK Compact in SK-5 is here!
Here it is next to a Mora 511, True Flight Thower, and Victorinox Farmer.
IMG-20200208-111700489.jpg

IMG-20200208-112006129.jpg

IMG-20200208-120344914.jpg

IMG-20200208-113228555.jpg

IMG-20200208-113654766-HDR.jpg

IMG-20200208-113407719-HDR.jpg

IMG-20200208-113455887.jpg

First thoughts:
  • The knife feels solid and well made
  • The blade feels light and lively
  • The blade was bathed in oil, smells like 3-in-1. I had to clean out the interior of the sheath with a coat hanger and a paper towel (push out using drain hole)
  • The edge was good but not perfect, but all it needed was minor touching up
  • The coating looks like some baked on paint that will rub off the first time you baton into wood
  • Grinds are even
  • Handle is not beefy, but comfortable. The rubber is on the hard side, which is good.
  • There is a bit of contouring to the handle, which is nice. You see there is a keystone taper from top to bottom.
  • The handle is long enough for my large hand, but your palm will rub against a lanyard if you use one.
  • The sheath is tight with no rattle. It grips against the rubber on the guard. Overall I like the sheath
  • I didn't have a full-sized SRK to compare it to, but it seems scaled down in all dimensions
  • Point of balance is right behind the guard
  • It feels like a saber grind, or very slightly hollow
  • Very nice! I like!
Some measurements:
Blade: length 4.96" (126mm), thickness 0.17" (4.3mm), height 1.05" (26.7mm)
Handle: length 4.55" (115.6mm), thickness 0.67"(17mm), height 1.02" (25.9mm)
Knife weight 5.2 oz (147g)
Sheath weight 2.6 oz (75g)
IMG-20200208-122150233.jpg

Last edited:
Back