2020 is coming...

Got the Air Lite.
I would have liked to see the knife ground a bit thinner. Directly behind the edge measurements average about .03" and with a shallow saber grind, it thickens quickly. I will regrind mine.

Damn, never thought that the edge thickness will be worse than average CS. My Working Man is thinner than your Air Lite.
Thanks for sharing !

I love it. For me.. Cold Steel ROCKS.

Got the Air Lite.
First impressions. Feels sturdier than the Broken Skull. Blade grind is robust. Blade has some heft. Balance is at index finger cut out. Action is great. Locks up with zero blade play. Pocket clip works perfectly.
I would have liked to see the knife ground a bit thinner. Directly behind the edge measurements average about .03" and with a shallow saber grind, it thickens quickly. I will regrind mine. Backspacer fit could be a bit better. Edge bevels look symmetrical but are ground at different angles which is common with Cold Steel.
Overall nice knife and I think people will like it.
gdDeSeoh.jpg

kzj292mh.jpg

Cold Steel builds 'em tough, especially now that they've moved away from hollow grinds.
The Air Lite should make for a good EDC, albeit not a great slicer nor "feather light" as they describe it. It does carry well and the pocket clip is one of very few CS that I will not modify at all.

I noticed that a bunch of the 4 Max Scout popped up on the auction site and sold out very quickly. Granted they haven't hit the main dealers yet but it looks like this will be a popular model.

A-and-B.png

Some stats:
HUDSON BAY HAWK
Weight - 27.25 oz (774 g), listed as 24.6 oz by CS
Head only - 17.75 oz (502 g)
Dimension A - 3.875" (98mm)
Dimension B - 3.625" (92mm)

FRONTIER HAWK
Weight - 22.625 oz (640 g), listed as 22.4 oz by CS
Head only - 10.63 oz (301 g)
Dimension A - 4.375" (111mm)
Dimension B - 3.25" (83mm)

Both hawks were weighed with a 22" handle attached. I was unable to pound off the heads to weigh them alone. Even though the Hudson Bay Hawk is heavier, it feels better balanced on the 22" handle. I always thought the FH would be better suited for a shorter handle. The HBH feels like a small axe, whereas the FH feels like an agile weapon. The HBH is definitely in a different weight class.

Fit and finish on the HBH is a little rough, as you can see from the photos. I took the head off and found no large burrs. There is a set screw that I already took off, and the handle will need to be shaped for a friction fit. This head has lots of contact with the handle, so it will tend to slip less. The edge is pretty dull and needs re-profiling. All in all, I am happy with this product. It will be most interesting to field test.

Last edited:
Cold Steel Team,
OK so I purchased the Air Lite, and the 4-Max Scout. My next purchace is the Woodsman's Sax. Any ETA on that? Are they at least in production right now?
Thank you.

Last edited:
Saber is good. Tbh I’ve used both hollow and saber grind of lawman, recon 1 and ad10, there’s really no difference. I much prefer the look of saber grind and the extra strength.
In my experience with hollow and flat ground recon 1s, the hollow grinds bite into material better but I like both equally.

Cold Steel Team,
OK so I purchased the Air Lite, and the 4-Max Scout. My next purchace is the Woodsman's Sax. Any ETA on that? Are they at least in production right now?
Thank you.
They are in production.
Yes. If you read their website description, you’ll find that Lynn Thompson travelled the world seeking insight from the best mouse dispatchers and studied the blade designs of 17th century rodent guillotines.
I LOL'ed
Is the kiridashi designed to be also used as a mouse(ie. small sized self defense) knife?
The Kiridashi is the original Japanese utility knife. Traditionally carried in the sleeve pocket of one’s kimono by both Samurai and peasant alike. The Kiridashi is now used by practically everyone in Japan from children to master craftsmen! In many ways it’s the fixed blade equivalent of the western pocket knife. Because of its innate practicality, it’s used for everything from whittling, carving, paring, and nearly every conceivable cutting chore. Now Cold Steel has updated this famous classic utility knife by making a folding knife version! Our Kiridashi folder offers a razor sharp classically shaped blade made from 4034SS stainless steel that’s mated to a handsome, comfortable Griv Ex™ grip that will never rot, crack, warp or mildew. To guard your fingers, it comes with our Tri-Ad® Locking mechanism, proven time and time again to be the strongest, safest locking mechanism available.

Back