2021 #85 Crown Lifter

good eye, I didn't see that black line until you mentioned it, I'm curious also

These upcoming natural bone 85’s are making me nervous. I wish GEC could be more consistent with their dark red and Elderberry dye jobs. Deep and dark red is probably my favorite traditional knife color, but it usually leads to disappointment when I unwrap a new GEC from its wax paper. Most of the “red” knives have been a little too light and also have very pink edges where the bone has bone smoothed down to meet the bolsters. Most of the elderberry knives have also been too pink. I try to pretend this is normal, but then I’ll see one of my older Case knives or my perfectly dyed TC from 2014 and I know this is not good.

It's not a black line but rather a seam in the acrylic. You can see on the slabs it is as if they are two pieces bonded together.

PFD4GpM.jpg

It's not a black line but rather a seam in the acrylic. You can see on the slabs it is as if they are two pieces bonded together.

PFD4GpM.jpg

I was wondering that. I can see the person cutting these up being like, well I'll just cut here... and afterwards looking at it thinking, I shoulda probably moved that over a half inch :confused:

I’m personally not a huge fan of red, so I’ll let you guys go after the bone and acrylic. I just hope I can snag a micarta.

These upcoming natural bone 85’s are making me nervous. I wish GEC could be more consistent with their dark red and Elderberry dye jobs. Deep and dark red is probably my favorite traditional knife color, but it usually leads to disappointment when I unwrap a new GEC from its wax paper. Most of the “red” knives have been a little too light and also have very pink edges where the bone has bone smoothed down to meet the bolsters. Most of the elderberry knives have also been too pink. I try to pretend this is normal, but then I’ll see one of my older Case knives or my perfectly dyed TC from 2014 and I know this is not good.
eCZ74UU.jpg
I tried to get an angle where you can see the saturation of the dye into the bone. Do you think these look like they didn't saturate enough? To me, it looks like after shaping, these will be a bit lighter around the edges. I think these might end up looking similar to how the natural bone 23's came out last year, but red.
RjN2dXQ.jpg

PFD4GpM.jpg
They are using up their scraps. There should never be any seam lines in the handle material on a knife. They do this with the LVS abalone also. It really takes the knife down a notch.

eCZ74UU.jpg
I tried to get an angle where you can see the saturation of the dye into the bone. Do you think these look like they didn't saturate enough? To me, it looks like after shaping, these will be a bit lighter around the edges. I think these might end up looking similar to how the natural bone 23's came out last year, but red.
RjN2dXQ.jpg
I do think that these upcoming Cherry Natural Smooth Bone 85’s will look a lot like the Antique Autumn Natural Bone 23’s. My worry is that instead of a cream colored outline on the edges like on the 23’s we will get a pink outline. Time will tell.

Jacques, perhaps somebody will chime in with specifics, but what I've learned so far, is that you have to go online to a store that sells GEC knives and get on a reservation list. I thought there was some kind of thread or sign up list here onsite, but that does not seem to be the case.

Jacques, perhaps somebody will chime in with specifics, but what I've learned so far, is that you have to go online to a store that sells GEC knives and get on a reservation list. I thought there was some kind of thread or sign up list here onsite, but that does not seem to be the case.
We don't talk about the purchasing of knives in the Traditional folders and fixed blades forum.

There is a dedicated thread in the GBU. Or you can shoot me a PM and I can point you in the direction.:thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Back