3, 2, 1....... Snark!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incidentally that's one thing I never seem to see mentioned in "apocalypse scenarios"... guns and knives are great of course, but the guys with tools and raw materials and the skills to use them are gonna be kings if that ever happens.

In an "apocalypse scenario" it would be two weeks before farmers noticed it. Most of the older farmers I know can do anything they need done and do it every day.

but in a real SHTF situation, I plan on bugging in, not out.

fer realz.
why assume you'll go on walkabout. If I only had a way to power my well pump off-grid (ideally solar and fill the tanks once a day) I'd be set. And there's a river at the bottom of the hill in either case. And why on EARTH would I run out of ammunition? In a total meltdown, a couple bricks of recreational .22 ammo becomes enough to hunt forever with plenty left over to drive off intruders short of a damn invasion (for which I'm ill-equipped anyway, but they've got to get through everybody else first).

The one i seen the guy was just using for fun, and he was just using it to record people at the beach and walking the boardwalk.... But have you seen the commercial for the big river store planning to use drones to deliver packages?? Thats WILD!! They just have to get the FAA to allow them to do it first LOL

It seems like every company is buying up drones, or their own private drone company. Facebook is one that bought a UK based drone company (Ascenta) that made me say "why?" lol Pokes just got really serious!!! :eek: "I have sent you a friend request... BY DRONE!!!"

Another company that bought up a drone business is Google. (Titan Aerospace) They explained their intentions... Google (it seems to me) has this vision of free/cheap internet for all of the world. Basically they want to use the drones as a sort of "relay system" to provide wireless internet service to the far reaches of the planet. Kinda interesting. Apparently facebook also shares this "type" of vision.

fer realz.
why assume you'll go on walkabout. If I only had a way to power my well pump off-grid (ideally solar and fill the tanks once a day) I'd be set. And there's a river at the bottom of the hill in either case. And why on EARTH would I run out of ammunition? In a total meltdown, the stash off recreational .22 ammo becomes enough to hunt forever with plenty left over to drive off intruders short of a damn invasion (for which I'm ill-equipped anyway, but they've got to get through everybody else first).

Your house, and ammo, will be one of the first things taken over....

Everyone will be looking for the best spots to hold up, near running water is a big benefit and everyone will be looking for homes to "take over" near water... If you have the perfect spot... Its going to be taken from you...

People will be going into every home for supplies, and they will be heavily armed to the teeth with the last of their ammunition... They will be ready to kill, if your not.... they will take what you have.

There are thousands of acres of wilderness where people dont even travel through.... There are natural springs all over.... I honestly feel with my own personal knowledge and capabilities id do better off in the woods than trying to protect my home from everyone trying to steel my supplies... even a nice supply of ammo is going to run out eventually if people keep trying to break into your home because they know you have stuff..... since your not coming out for supplies, obviously you must have something keeping you alive in there.... There will be people out there to find out what it is....

If i had enough time id steal a big boat and take my family south closer to the equator. I use to fish all off the coast of florida, their is loads of small uninhabited islands all over the place. Id search for one with fresh water, then start our new life..... Lots of holes in this plan as well though... But id feel better off knowing no one was running up in my home ready to kill my kids for some canned beans...

Your house, and ammo, will be one of the first things taken over....

Everyone will be looking for the best spots to hold up, near running water is a big benefit and everyone will be looking for homes to "take over" near water... If you have the perfect spot... Its going to be taken from you...

People will be going into every home for supplies, and they will be heavily armed to the teeth with the last of their ammunition... They will be ready to kill, if your not.... they will take what you have.

I simply think you're wrong.
People have a HUGE vested interest in order. All those people are not going to suddenly turn into marauders.
I do not believe that anarchy is the natural state of humanity. Sure there are many disasterous 'societies' to point to, but I would claim there are more ordered ones.

Would I want to be in NoLa, Philly, Newark, or Detroit? No way - different answer. But out in the country social organization is less strained. Walking into the woods to live in a cave and eating bugs sounds a lot more like making things harder on purpose.

City folks will have to go somewhere to get food after they run out.

As long as they don't come here I don't have much to worry about.:D

But the guys able to forge swords and big decapitators in coals and what not will be KING :D

Well, there's that, of course... :rolleyes: :D

I was thinking more about the dudes and dudettes who can patch a hole in the roof and keep a tractor running with spit an' baling wire and build a shelter that will last beyond the first bad storm and raise/grow/store food that will last through the winter and supply their own smoke'n'booze and actually thrive long-term... and kind of enjoy it.

In an "apocalypse scenario" it would be two weeks before farmers noticed it. Most of the older farmers I know can do anything they need done and do it every day.

fer realz... why on EARTH would I run out of ammunition? In a total meltdown, a couple bricks of recreational .22 ammo becomes enough to hunt forever with plenty left over to drive off intruders short of a damn invasion (for which I'm ill-equipped anyway, but they've got to get through everybody else first).

^these guys get it :thumbup: Funny thing is, not very long ago at all, that was just normal for most people, even in "advanced" countries. ;)

If SHTF and you plan on scootin', you better have at least a week's notice, because the last place you want to be is on the freeway in a traffic jam with 5 million other panicked, desperate people trying to "get out of dodge".

If marauding hordes or evil gubmint forces come to take over my place, let's be brutally honest for a minute... there's only 2-4 people with me at most, so we're going down pretty quick no matter where we are or how much ammo we have stashed away. I don't worry much about that because frankly there ain't a damn thing I can do about it ;)

Last edited:
If marauding hordes or evil gubmint forces come to take over my place, let's be brutally honest for a minute... there's only 2-4 people with me at most, so we're going down pretty quick no matter where we are or how much ammo we have stashed away. I don't worry much about that because frankly there ain't a damn thing I can do about it ;)

See im in a big city.... And that is what id want to avoid... Because with just me, the wife and kids........ It would be up to ME to defend the place....No amount of prepping, training or knowledge can make 1 man able to defend a place over time against multiple attackers.

Now if i was at my property in Florida, out in the woods, 1 block from a state forest... Id worry less, but still id be prepping to move to a new uninhabited location with fresh water.

Daizee, i dont think all humans would resort to that type of actions.... But LOTS would.... Id be willing to bet at least half the fathers out there would steal to feed their children and would kill to keep their kids safe, especially if it really was in an apocalypse/government falling/zombie/nuclear war type situation. You have more faith in humans than i do.

clip...
I was thinking more about the dudes and dudettes who can patch a hole in the roof and keep a tractor running with spit an' baling wire and build a shelter that will last beyond the first bad storm and raise/grow/store food that will last through the winter and supply their own smoke'n'booze and actually thrive long-term... and kind of enjoy it.

This is all hyothetical, of course, but is spot on once the dust settles after a disaster. Folks with mechanical skills and hand tools will be needed to sustain themselves and others, and rebuild society (or a small community, at least).

^these guys get it :thumbup: Funny thing is, not very long ago at all, that was just normal for most people, even in "advanced" countries. ;)

If SHTF and you plan on scootin', you better have at least a week's notice, because the last place you want to be is on the freeway in a traffic jam with 5 million other panicked, desperate people trying to "get out of dodge".

Yep. Unless you are already living in a fortress built in the hinterlands (perhaps an old missile silo in the Dakotas, for example), you really can't prepare for a determined asault by any size of force. Much better to spend time on realistic survival scenarios.

For example, a power outage of a couple days in winter if ice knocks down the transmission lines. About 5 years ago, we had a power outage the evening that my son had about 6 or so friends over for his birthday (14th b-day if I remember). They had planned for an all night video gaming session. What they got was pizza (already picked up before the power went out...and the nearby town didn't lose power that night anyway) and a roaring fire in the fireplace. It was January, and in Central Texas, with an ice storm, it was pretty cold without the fire. I heated some water with a Coleman stove for coffee and hot chocolate, and they sat around the living room fireplace on sleeping bags and listened to music on a battery operated radio, sang songs, told stories and jokes and had a pretty good time without the XBox to help them. I think marshmallows may have even been toasted.

My brother used to live in Pearland, south of Houston, and evacuated once due to hurricane, and weathered the rain from several more. Folks in other parts have frequent tornadoes, floods, or other weather related discomforts. All of these are worth preparing for. Global meltdown...not so much...

And in the interest of full disclosure, the guy in this video is my brother-in-law. Smart guy (MD [psychiatrist], and PhD from Yale or Harvard in world health), but focusing on the wrong stuff in my opinion. He doesn't talk much with my wife or the other brother...

[video=youtube_share;wXT2UTr7xx8]http://youtu.be/wXT2UTr7xx8[/video]

Last edited:
The only people that will survive in the shtf/apocoliptic scenarios are those that can think beyond their own needs and work together. Cities will be very dangerous places because they have lost that mentality (I just experienced it.firsthand.with our water.crisis....within hours people were.already fighting over bottled water because the stores were sold out. If I am still living here, that will be.my biggest problem...luckily.I am only a few.miles from the stateline)....those that live far film the cities (id say 100 miles or more from any major city over 100k people) will have the best chance if.they help one another. One man cant do it all but a community can.Take my family For example: my father use to farm and is also a retired diemaker so he can do alot with metal, I have some carpentry and.masonry skills (plus the.guns and knives lol), my wife is a natural leader, counselor/psychiatrist and soon to be ordained minister, my mother-in-law is an RN, my brother is a computer engineer and can take apart and rebuild anything, my older siblings mother (my dads ex-wife who is still very close to us) is into natural/holistic/homeopathic healing and knows a great deal about medicinal plants..thats just 6 people and that covers a lot, think about if you added friends and neighbors to that (not to mention the other 20+ family members that live within a few miles).....bullets will only get you so far, cooperation, courtesy and compassion will go much farther.....and if that doesn't work then use the bullets:D

The family plan, if anything were ever to happen, is to meet at my fathers house. He lives about 5 miles north of the outskirts of the city. He has about 3 acres and my brothers mom lives right next door and has about 2 acres. There is a creek (small and likely full of pesticides) but he also has a hand pump that can be attched to his.well by taking the head off.

Id be willing to bet at least half the fathers out there would steal to feed their children and would kill to keep their kids safe, especially if it really was in an apocalypse/government falling/zombie/nuclear war type situation. You have more faith in humans than i do.

Not saying I wouldn't, but it wouldn't be my first choice.
And 'government failure' is NOT AT ALL on the same level as nuclear war or zombie apocalypse. That's a dangerous comparison to make. Our US system of government is tiered: Federal/State/Town. In what scenario do all those collapse at the same time? None. The fed shut down last budget cycle and except for the furloughed federal workers and NSF grant delays, the country barely noticed. There was a lot of TALK, but it's not like civilization collapsed.

Listen, I certainly believe that civilization is a thin veneer, but it's a very USEFUL veneer. Humans are social animals, and cooperate when they must - which is often.

Not saying I wouldn't, but it wouldn't be my first choice.
And 'government failure' is NOT AT ALL on the same level as nuclear war or zombie apocalypse. That's a dangerous comparison to make. Our US system of government is tiered: Federal/State/Town. In what scenario do all those collapse at the same time? None. The fed shut down last budget cycle and except for the furloughed federal workers and NSF grant delays, the country barely noticed. There was a lot of TALK, but it's not like civilization collapsed.

Listen, I certainly believe that civilization is a thin veneer, but it's a very USEFUL veneer. Humans are social animals, and cooperate when they must - which is often.

All excellent points! There was a discussion on one of the gun-related boards that I sometimes participate in about the power of the County Sheriff. Someone stated they pretty much are "THE law" in their county...other agencies, including Feds can be asked to leave. Whether this is true in practice or not, they are elected, and therefore have some sort of general community support and the ability to garner consensus and keep the peace (at least in rural areas).

Cool. What tradition/denomination?

Its non-denominational. Its gonna take her at least a year to complete the classes. Its very thorough and extensive. The course is designed for people who want to dedicate their life to spreading the word of God, and not for people who want to just marry people.

Its non-denominational. Its gonna take her at least a year to complete the classes. Its very thorough and extensive. The course is designed for people who want to dedicate their life to spreading the word of God, and not for people who want to just marry people.

Even cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back