#35 Beer and Sausage Bar Tool Knife

Looking at some of the posted knives makes me wonder if some have been dyed twice - before and after hafting.
The reason I wonder is there seems to be two colors - with one lot more red and another more yellow. The red ones are beautiful but don’t have areas of lighter dye you typically see.
Further, the dyed yellow bone One Star knives are far more uniform than the yellow bone on previous runs.

Attachments

• #35 Beard&Sausage BRRT Autumn Jig Bone1.jpg
    #35 Beard&Sausage BRRT Autumn Jig Bone1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 52
  • #35 Beard&Sausage BRRT Autumn Jig Bone.jpg
    #35 Beard&Sausage BRRT Autumn Jig Bone.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 50
There should be 2 Jigged Bone versions delivered tomorrow . Both are to be Gifts . I am hoping that the comb has at least a little Snap .
@btb01 The color of yours is very nice . I would sure like to open some tubes and pull out a couple like that .

Harry

If it has even a light 'snap'... I'll leave it alone.
But a blade/tool that has NO 'snap' will bug me to no end.

I agree. After playing with my comb there seems to also be some significant blade run against the main blade. So much so that it seems to be preventing the comb to close under its own spring tension.

Looking at some of the posted knives makes me wonder if some have been dyed twice - before and after hafting.
The reason I wonder is there seems to be two colors - with one lot more red and another more yellow. The red ones are beautiful but don’t have areas of lighter dye you typically see.
Further, the dyed yellow bone One Star knives are far more uniform than the yellow bone on previous runs.
I think it may be less shaping of the bone to match the bolsters. The jigging goes all the way to the bolsters, more than any other GEC I own. It is also difficult to capture all the colors and nuance on these covers with a camera.

Also I have been very busy of late so I really have not played with my B&S much. Full disclosure I have been carrying my M&G trapper. Anyway, I flushed it last night finally and my comb snaps closed from 20°. The other blades are lighter pulls, very smooth, and snappy.

CSGlXIf.jpg

gB0TtKF.jpg

Saw a Blade HQ video on these today, went and checked.......out of stock.

Bummer, I don't venture into slip joints very often but these look like a good functional piece with some convo potential.

Finally decided to flush this guy after all the talk around here, and wow, I didn’t think this knife could get any better! Nice snappy action on the comb now, it was already good enough though!

Yea that could be it Jiki Jiki , the #35 has got predominantly straight and even scales, and maybe that makes it easier to make the bone look good at the corners.

As peeps know I am not a fan of this knife, but maybe we can give GEC a break on this aspect. Do scissors on a SAK or a Leatherman have to snap too? How about the cork screw? I don’t think its a requirement

I agree in the sense that a comb doesn't have to snap closed, however the problem in my mind is the variation. I see people posting that theirs is mushy and even some that don't close on their own. Mine on the other hand snaps open and closed with enough force that it rings like a tuning fork. I think it is the drastic difference that is making people question what is typically unheard of from GEC's quality control.

Between that and the price fluctuations, this is turning out to be a very controversial knife.

It is starting to sound to me that the ebony made it out with the best fit and finish of the bunch. My only current gec left to compare it to is an elderberry jigged bone dixie stockman and this is on par, if not better. It feels more like a Northfield to me.

Hi everyone. Once again I am late to the party. I just checked every dealer on their site. Looks like its totally sold out. Any chance this will be coming back in stock, or should I just be trying to find a used one? Thank you.

Finally decided to flush this guy after all the talk around here, and wow, I didn’t think this knife could get any better! Nice snappy action on the comb now, it was already good enough though!
Would you mind explaining the flushing out process? Are you using soap and water or oil?

Would you mind explaining the flushing out process? Are you using soap and water or oil?
I used CLP and sprayed the inside of the springs and the joints after opening all the tools. Let it soak in for a bit then I opened and closed the tools several times. If there is any grit in the springs you should see it ooze out of the spine of you knife. Wipe it off. This improved the snap on all three of my tools. :)

Last edited:

i do that with WD-40 and blast/ compressed air after spraying the WD-40 in the joints and the springs.
thn i check how it changed and works after cleaning.
after that i oil it firmly with vaseline oil.

Hi everyone. Once again I am late to the party. I just checked every dealer on their site. Looks like its totally sold out. Any chance this will be coming back in stock, or should I just be trying to find a used one? Thank you.
I doubt you will find any at this point other than people listing on the exchange or ebay. These sold out within minutes of being listed on the dealers sites. The exchange is your best bet at getting one for $200 or less.

They have pretty much all been snapped up at retail. Secondary is going to be your best bet. I recommend watching the Exchange here, as several have popped up in the last few days. Good luck!

Depending on how determined you are and how much time you have to "waste" ;), you might keep checking dealer sites. I missed the 33 drop and kept casually checking. Found a "store" model last week, long after they had sold out. Probably just a fluke, but....

Just pulled my #35 B&S out of the mail box and gave each of the blades/tools a good flushing.
I'm very happy to report that I received a good one. Fit n Finish is very good and the Micarta is beautiful.
Main blade has about a 4.5 pull, i could almost give it a 5. It snaps to half stop and strong snap open/closed.
The fork tool has a solid 5 pull and is super snappy at half stop, opening, and closing. I really like this combo tool.
The comb has a lighter pull, not sure if I'd give it a 2 or 3, so we will call it a 2.5 pull. The snap closed is solid, the snap open is "livable', and if you push on the spine while it's open it will snap back to open. That's really good enough for a comb. There really isn't a half stop to speak of on the comb, it's more of a bump in the road. There is a very slight rub on the comb and main blade, but it's a non-issue. Thank you @knifeswapper for this wonderful GAW prize, I shall cherish it for many years to come.

Last edited:
Back