.38 Special!!

Here is the Abalone 38 i got in the mail today. I was very happy when looking at the show side, not so much after turning it over. I'm not typically the one to return knives but I think I will give the distributor a call in the morning. I feel the scale on the pile side should have been a piece of waste not something put on a Northfield trim knife. Please correct me if I am wrong in this thinking and this is to be expected of the material.
20170612_230200_zpssomeq0am.jpg
20170612_230210_zpsdhyb7sr6.jpg
I feel that if you're truly unhappy with a knife, you should feel free to return it if your dealer is willing.

Just a heads up though that even the knives (at least one of the two) GEC used in their cover photo shows patchwork scales on the mark side.

I feel that if you're truly unhappy with a knife, you should feel free to return it if your dealer is willing.

Just a heads up though that even the knives (at least one of the two) GEC used in their cover photo shows patchwork scales on the mark side.

Good eye, Ryan. I'm not sure if it's the same pic but I see it on both knives on the "GALLERY OF FINISHED 38s" page.

I kind of like it, but as Ryan said, if you don't like it, then you should be able to return it.

Good eye, Ryan. I'm not sure if it's the same pic but I see it on both knives on the "GALLERY OF FINISHED 38s" page.
Thanks Rick! Yep, that was the photo I was referring to. Just using my phone I couldn't tell for sure, but I thought both were patchwork. The one in front with the loose "grain" that abruptly transitions to tight "grain" at the shield - I wasn't 100% sure about. Either way, they definitely weren't trying to hide it.

My wife thinks the Abalone is beautiful and has claimed it. Problem solved.
Everyone else thinking of purchasing one of these should be aware of the patchwork that is on these knives. I still find it a shame GEC would not spend a little more time cutting the scales, so the obvious jointed material is wasted. Especially on the Northfield pattern witch GEC says is '' the most premium GEC traditional pocket knives''.

-
Slim

My wife thinks the Abalone is beautiful and has claimed it. Problem solved.
Everyone else thinking of purchasing one of these should be aware of the patchwork that is on these knives. I still find it a shame GEC would not spend a little more time cutting the scales, so the obvious jointed material is wasted. Especially on the Northfield pattern witch GEC says is '' the most premium GEC traditional pocket knives''.

-
Slim

I'm not offering an opinion on the ALVS laminate, nor am I trying to be 'snarky', but cutting up sheets of this very expensive material to try and remove the 'joints' is just not financially prudent. You would end up throwing more in the trash than putting on knives, and I'm sure GEC would take a very dim view of tossing all that expensive, wasted material. The "joints" or "patchwork" is unavoidable and is visible in virtually all examples I've examined, past or present, so that is just the 'nature of the beast'. If the 'lines' are an issue I suggest avoiding the LVS material.

Thank you Barry, for that explanation. However some people myself included, are not that familiar with the material and may not be ecstatic when they see the lines. After doing more homework and carefully looking at photos of these knives, having lines may be common and not hidden by anyone. I hope I have help educated some here on the forums about the 'nature of the beast'. As Barry stated, if it is an issue don't buy it.

Yes, it's useful to know that this kind of patchwork effect is inherent with the material.

I don't mind as I can't abide the stuff:D But if I had paid out a fair chunk of cash expecting to get a nice uniform appearance and this kind of Cubist handle turned up...I probably would not be at all pleased:eek:

Slim278 Slim278 for what it's worth, the mark side of your knife is better than most examples I've seen on these - and quite stunning! The pile side is admittedly poorly matched, but not moreso than some other pieces I've seen.

I'm expecting mine tomorrow. I knew that it has one, well matched seam on the mark side, and get to be surprised with the pile side.

I'm not in love with the seams, but felt it was a fair trade off for getting my first abalone knife for under $90 on a GEC.

Last edited:
Patchwork or not, these 38 specials suit abalone well. Just had to get one. Thanks Barry!

Here is the Abalone 38 i got in the mail today. I was very happy when looking at the show side, not so much after turning it over. I'm not typically the one to return knives but I think I will give the distributor a call in the morning. I feel the scale on the pile side should have been a piece of waste not something put on a Northfield trim knife. Please correct me if I am wrong in this thinking and this is to be expected of the material.
20170612_230200_zpssomeq0am.jpg
20170612_230210_zpsdhyb7sr6.jpg
I'm not sure I understand this material at all and don't know how it is made. I just don't like this look and so would not buy one. It looks like two different pieces came together? I know Barry knows what he's saying, so I guess it's the nature of this material.

I don't know exactly how the ALVS is made, but somehow the abalone shell is cut super-thin and into sections that can 'mate' with other similar pieces (straight lines), then adhered to a clear acrylic sheet in some manner. Pretty neat, actually, and a heck-of-a-lot more durable than the real thing. I think it looks great on certain models, and the 38 is one, but I had a 73 years ago that was just too much of a good thing. I sold it but now I wish I hadn't, as they are pretty rare.

But I digress; the manufacturing of the ALVS has to be done by CNC machines as it would be near impossible to do by hand, I'd suppose. I've seen similar products in beveled cedar siding, for example, where one board is made up of hundreds of small, finger jointed pieces! Or in fancy paneling made of literally thousands of tiny pieces in herringbone and other patterns inlayed somehow. How the heck do they do that? :confused::confused::confused:

My .38 Special Indian Paintbrush arrived today. I like it! I have a 38 Chapman which I also like, but this one is slender!
e67Yxja.jpg
Very nice Alan! How does jigging compare to the 48 diamond jack? Also, looking at GEC website picture today would appear there is a version of this same knife coming with satin blade, not sure why difference?

Last edited:
Back