4.1 Seconds Order Average shipping Time

Oyster, assuming that you aren't joking I can give answers based on previous experience.
To date the amount of time between when a knife enters production until the first units begin shipping has been between seven and twelve months.
The amount of time to complete shipping a model run (after knives first began leaving the shop) was four months for the 5.1 and fourteen months for the 4.7.
All of that information is now out of date since the 3.5 is being produced under a different business plan.
Do remember that Survive has inventory in their shop and are currently producing the 2.7, 4.1, and 7/7 models.
I don't think that anybody knows when those previous models will be completed and the GSO 3.5 will enter production.
I think that there is a very good chance that the SK 3.5 model (which isn't being assembled in the Survive shop) will begin production in the next few months.
No, wasn't joking :)
I'm relatively new to Survive and the GSO 3.5 is the first one I've ordered. I was aware that wait times until orders are filled can be lengthy. But since this is the first actual production I'm following, I wanted to get an approximate sense of where along in the process we are at this specific stage (cut blanks ready for grinding).
I'm not sure where the hold ups have been in the past (sourcing material, cutting blanks, grinding, HT, assembly, sharpening?). Apologies if this was covered elsewhere and I missed it.

The bottleneck in Survive's production has been the in house finishing steps and sharpening and final assembly.
To condense a lot of information down to a few words there was a lot more hand finishing work required on the new spec knives to meet the rather high standards of fit and finish that Guy requires before he will let a knife leave the shop with the acronym GSO (Guy Seiferd Original) on it. Guy personally performs most if not all of this hand fitting and it takes a lot of time.
So, to come full circle, after a couple of years of struggling to produce enough GSO knives they launched the SK line which will be essentially the same knives but finished, sharpened and assembled by a contractor.
The level of finish on the SK models won't be the same but the production volume will be a lot higher.

I would add that part of the severity of the bottle-neck was caused by a lot of blanks or handle-scales coming back from the contractors in a state deemed "unacceptable for 'firsts'" by Guy and requiring a lot of hand-work in the shop to make acceptable even as 'seconds'. Whether the Seiferds complained to their contractors about this or just swallowed it as part of doing business in their somewhat handicapped state, I don't know, but there have been handle-fitment issues, bevel-grind issues, jimping issues, etc. Whether or not most of us would care $0.02 about any given issue, they were of concern to Guy and Ellie and so the bottle-neck got further backed up. I know that when Guy and Ellie sent me my Starter 4.7, they included a note apologizing for the delay with the comment that it took them much longer to find and finish out suitable 'firsts' than they had ever imagined. I believe they meant it.

The 4.7 was an extremely popular model. Well, the 4.1 has been even MORE popular and they continue to fill orders as quickly as they can, but the lead-time has definitely grown for "grinding" to "knife in my hand", as Fancier stated. With the new SK-line in play, high hopes for lead-times getting back to what they were for the revamp GSO-5.1 :thumbsup: But following this company definitely requires an exercise of patience, so don't go marking your calendar or anything and expect the knife to materialize unimpeded ;) I'm in for a 3.5 from the Starter campaign, so you will very likely see your 3.5 before I see mine, so rest assured that others are in this game with you and share your uncertainties when they come and your impatience when it surfaces. We get it :thumbsup:

I do miss the days of waiting only a few months or less, but that's what the Makers 'for sale' area is for! ;)

I would add that part of the severity of the bottle-neck was caused by a lot of blanks or handle-scales coming back from the contractors in a state deemed "unacceptable for 'firsts'" by Guy and requiring a lot of hand-work in the shop to make acceptable even as 'seconds'. Whether the Seiferds complained to their contractors about this or just swallowed it as part of doing business in their somewhat handicapped state, I don't know, but there have been handle-fitment issues, bevel-grind issues, jimping issues, etc. Whether or not most of us would care $0.02 about any given issue, they were of concern to Guy and Ellie and so the bottle-neck got further backed up. I know that when Guy and Ellie sent me my Starter 4.7, they included a note apologizing for the delay with the comment that it took them much longer to find and finish out suitable 'firsts' than they had ever imagined. I believe they meant it.

The 4.7 was an extremely popular model. Well, the 4.1 has been even MORE popular and they continue to fill orders as quickly as they can, but the lead-time has definitely grown for "grinding" to "knife in my hand", as Fancier stated. With the new SK-line in play, high hopes for lead-times getting back to what they were for the revamp GSO-5.1 :thumbsup: But following this company definitely requires an exercise of patience, so don't go marking your calendar or anything and expect the knife to materialize unimpeded ;) I'm in for a 3.5 from the Starter campaign, so you will very likely see your 3.5 before I see mine, so rest assured that others are in this game with you and share your uncertainties when they come and your impatience when it surfaces. We get it :thumbsup:

I do miss the days of waiting only a few months or less, but that's what the Makers 'for sale' area is for! ;)
Thank you and Fancier for the lengthy and insightful responses.
Just to clear up one possible misunderstanding, I didn't intend to express any impatience. While I do have hopes that lead times will shrink with the new business model, I was fully aware when placing my order that it could take a while and went in with both eyes open. I'm good with that.
And, as already expressed elsewhere, a sense of fairness suggests that maybe those who went in for the starter program should receive theirs first - without you, who knows if I would have ever been able to place my order. I do feel that your faith in the company is worthy of some reward.
Again, thanks for all the background and insight.

Also, Chiral, I have thoroughly enjoyed your reviews on YouTube. Really most excellent. Thanks!

I wanted to get an approximate sense of where along in the process we are at this specific stage (cut blanks ready for grinding).
It is best to consider the Production Schedule page as entertainment. It doesn't provide any context as to when you might receive your knife, mainly because the Survive team is not capable of knowing when that might be.

I'm not sure where the hold ups have been in the past (sourcing material, cutting blanks, grinding, HT, assembly, sharpening?)
Yes.

It is best to consider the Production Schedule page as entertainment. It doesn't provide any context as to when you might receive your knife, mainly because the Survive team is not capable of knowing when that might be.

Yes.

Great reply and in keeping with what others have said. I understand.

With so many great knives out there, it's funny that so many of us are willing to get on this ride. Still, I have no doubts that I will be VERY pleased when I do get mine. In the meantime, I'll be sending the S!K team best wishes for their future success - all the while practicing optimistic patience and contemplating the vagaries of herd mentality... ;-)

Cheers,
One of the herd

My reason for sticking with Survive is their extremely comfortable handles.
There are lots of really great blades out there, but a lot fewer of them have great handles.

My reason for sticking with Survive is their extremely comfortable handles.
There are lots of really great blades out there, but a lot fewer of them have great handles.
I have never held one, but the handles DO look excellent for a multitude of grips. The canvas micarta and textured G10 look like they're pretty awesome and I have wondered whether I made a mistake by ordering the red linen for my 3.5. I might have to get an extra set of scales if/when they become available...

Last edited:
Ordered a 4.1 second mid April.... hoping to have it by Christmas? Ah well, as long as it comes eventually. I'll forget about it and then one day it'll show up in the mail and I'll be stoked!

I'm more than 150 days in on this order. But I keep orderi more. Maybe I'll get my 4.1 for myself for Christmas.

The wait................. New spec 4.1 f1. Been 433 days
since order status changed to "awating fullfilment".

Not going to cancel my order but it has crossed my mind several times. The fact they leave u dazed and confused about production schedules gets me the most. Its not very nice paying a good amount of money and beeing kept in the dark on yr order. Shame to see there are sooo much individual problems with this company. I own a old spec f2 4.1 wich i killed choping into a extention cord with 220v current on it, cousing the knife edge to explode leaving a hole in it. Told sk about what happend just to inform them that 3v doenst handle electricity 2 well and they offerd me to reprofile and fix it for free. Never took up there offer because i live in the Netherlands. And wasent going to pay for shipping and another 50euros for customs but it was nice of them to offer(so much for the no questions asked warranty) ... Hope ill see it soon, have a nice weekend kind regards Scott

The wait................. New spec 4.1 f1. Been 433 days
since order status changed to "awating fullfilment".

Not going to cancel my order but it has crossed my mind several times. The fact they leave u dazed and confused about production schedules gets me the most. Its not very nice paying a good amount of money and beeing kept in the dark on yr order. Shame to see there are sooo much individual problems with this company. I own a old spec f2 4.1 wich i killed choping into a extention cord with 220v current on it, cousing the knife edge to explode leaving a hole in it. Told sk about what happend just to inform them that 3v doenst handle electricity 2 well and they offerd me to reprofile and fix it for free. Never took up there offer because i live in the Netherlands. And wasent going to pay for shipping and another 50euros for customs but it was nice of them to offer(so much for the no questions asked warranty) ... Hope ill see it soon, have a nice weekend kind regards Scott
At the risk of getting off topic, do you have pics of the knife now? That sounds terrible. Hopefully you weren't injured.

The situation isn't the best now, but there's plenty of reading here on that topic if you need to commiserate. What was your order date?

I'm at over 200 days for a second. The last email from survive was they have no estimated shipping date. "Soon" they say. I'm not going to cancel because I'll just spend the money on something I want less. I'll wait but likely by the time I get it, I'll be less Interested and I'll move it along

At the risk of getting off topic, do you have pics of the knife now? That sounds terrible. Hopefully you weren't injured.

The situation isn't the best now, but there's plenty of reading here on that topic if you need to commiserate. What was your order date?

Orderd 30-7-16, and ill try 2 find some pictures of the damage..

I'm at over 200 days for a second. The last email from survive was they have no estimated shipping date. "Soon" they say. I'm not going to cancel because I'll just spend the money on something I want less. I'll wait but likely by the time I get it, I'll be less Interested and I'll move it along
200+ days for a f2, thats bad thought they shipped them 90+ days.. Thought they where getting the backorders up2date. Pffff

BF User
"I got a shipping notice for #9640 today. Hopefully Hale got his as well."

That was in March 2017 when he received his shipping notice. My order is #9808 pls dont tell me they cant finish 168 knives in 8 months time that roughly 21 knives a month/ about 1 knife a day.. Pffff apparently they don't do the first come first serve thing.

Back