4-Max?! USA Made, CPM-20CV, Cold Steel?! This can't be happening!

They are still messing around with prototypes?!

I should clarify. I work in an office alongside Lynn and members of the design team. I don't work in customer services, sales or shipping departments.
The production models have not been released for shipping yet. I'm planning to buy one or two of them myself.
The only model I personally have access to right now is one of the prototypes - actually the one used as a photographic sample for the catalog
We're in the middle of our yearly inventory right now, so it'll be probably Tuesday before I can get that and take some pictures for you guys
I'm astonished that I need to offer such a detailed explanation. It seems everything I say is super analysed (and often misinterpreted)
I'm not used to forums I guess :) :)
I'd still consider myself very new to this. Please be patient with me
Thanks and have a great weekend

I should clarify. I work in an office alongside Lynn and members of the design team. I don't work in customer services, sales or shipping departments.
The production models have not been released for shipping yet. I'm planning to buy one or two of them myself.
The only model I personally have access to right now is one of the prototypes - actually the one used as a photographic sample for the catalog
We're in the middle of our yearly inventory right now, so it'll be probably Tuesday before I can get that and take some pictures for you guys
I'm astonished that I need to offer such a detailed explanation. It seems everything I say is super analysed (and often misinterpreted)

Take it as a complement to the knife model and overall brand I guess - the people *really* want to know ;)

I would really like to know who is actually making these. Regardless, I'm probably getting one.

It's about time they put that lock in something that deserves it. Previous efforts felt like putting a HEMI in a Barbie Jeep.

I would really like to know who is actually making these. Regardless, I'm probably getting one.

It's about time they put that lock in something that deserves it. Previous efforts felt like putting a HEMI in a Barbie Jeep.

You're applying this analogy to the Tri-Ad lock in knives such as the Recon 1, AK 47, American Lawman, Code 4, Voyager series, etc? And you call those "efforts"... I would lose that.

I swore off folders. I equated them with the lock back knives that looked like a herniated disc and shitty liner locks that shift like a fractured bone all the way to the right and fail. Cold Steel has opened my eyes... and they opened my eyes at less than 1/3 the purchase price of their competitors. I feel like your speakin from a "foreign frowner" point of view -- An old argument, long laid to grass. The fact that HEMI was put into those Barbie Jeeps, made me like Barbie Jeeps, a day I thought I would never see come.

My point was that the lock is worthy of top notch material and design. I carried an American Lawman for years and the lock felt like overkill. Now, I'm not into the giant folders CS makes, but I'm sure it does well there. This is simply the first time, to me, CS has offered a knife worthy of the Triad Lock. I'm glad they are doing it. It makes me rescind statements like,"Damn, it's a shame a goofball knife company that only makes mall ninja folding knives from inferior steel got rights to the best lock on the market."

Well, I'll admit, I misconstrued your meaning. I will actually agree on your true meaning, my Recon 1 is very light and has a thinnish profile (to my hands) and a lock that still snaps like a steel trap. I remembered being thrown off when I first handled it. Like something didn't add up (or maybe added up too much leading to number carryover). I see that it probably will not seem that way on the 4 MAX which has the bulk and weight to compensate. G10 with titanium liners and back spacer :jerkit: ... lost my traina thought.

I actually have one of the giant Voyager XL blades in the Tanto configuration (best of the lot and only one worth getting btw (unless ur a collector)). Its like a pocket katana. Its a novelty piece for me and it only cost me around 40. The lock up does feel increased in strength on the larger one. I closed it with one hand, accidentally left my finger below the handle choil, gave me a pretty grievous wound. A stream of blood shot from my index finger and left a perfect vertical line on my wall of like 6 - 7 inches. Its still there lol. Rambling.

Thank you for that terrifying story. You just reassured me that I most certainly do not need a gigantic folder with a Triad lock. They do, indeed, snap shut like a bear trap.

Get familiar with the knife, and keep your fingers out of the way when you close it, simple really.

My procedure when closing one handed is to point the tip down, release the lock, then slowly raise the tip until it drops free. Then I turn it over and push it closed against my leg while keeping my fingers well clear of the sharp bit. I've had a couple of cuts with my Cold Steel's, one from doing a half assed inertia open on my XL Espada, another from not concentrating when closing my Ti-Lite, and another from testing the edge on a serrated Rajah 3. Fortunately nothing serious.

For the record, serrated Rajah 3s are very sharp.

I think we all could agree, the Tri-Ad lock really keeps you on edge.
tumblr_inline_mnp6izLdCW1qz4rgp.gif

Last edited:
... I'm astonished that I need to offer such a detailed explanation. It seems everything I say is super analysed (and often misinterpreted)

I'd strongly recommend you go over to the Spyderco Manufacturer's forum here in BF and read the first few hundred posts by Sal. He is the master of handling "the internet forums", but he did not start out that way. You can bill that time to Lynn.

Then for contrast (and comic relief) look at the few dozen last posts by Mr. Stryder at the Stryder Manufacturer's forum here in BF. Feel free to charge that time to Lynn too under 'market research'. :D

BTW, you are doing well so far.

Thanks for the clarification. Take our "reading the tea leaves" as a compliment, obviously the excitement is building. But one question leads to another, why are they being held back? QC issues?

OK. What's the scoop on the release date? Be up front if it's gonna be months from now. Thanks.

OK. What's the scoop on the release date? Be up front if it's gonna be months from now. Thanks.

Cold Steel is... indisposed... for the week. There is no scoop, no raisins to add to your bran flakes...

All that can be done now is to watch the video I posted and salivate.

You serious?

We went over this already. He's not knocking the quality. The newer CS folders don't have liners and are much lighter than they were when they used to overbuild their Ultra/AXIS Lock models. The lockup of the Tri-Ad is so strong it seems unfitting for such a light product. Its literally like an earthquake to the knife when it snaps open on the all G10 handles.

Back