4max updates

Interesting that BladeHQ does not have them yet. Not listed amongst their Cold Steel folding knives.

Err... such *what* knife??

Just some perspective for the new comer who might get hater confused, all street price:
1. ZT0804 with 2/3 the amount of steel cost $280
2. ZT0456 cost $240 and is less than 8 inch long cost $268+
3. Benchmade 940-1, which is almost 1/2 the knife cost $260+
4. Emerson Super Commander, smaller knife with much thinner blade and 154CM steel cost $300
5. Strider SNG/SMF, less harduse, less steel, IMO lesser F&F - $400+
6. Hinderer, Chris Reeve - Well, can of worms here, don't wanna cause any butthurt...

Cold Steel 4 Max - triad lock, titanium liner, 4.5mm thick CPM-20CV with triad lock & made in USA - $350-375 street price.

People complain about CS uses crap steel, CS upgraded. People complains about F&F, CS stepped it up. People complains about not made in the US(like it matters) and slave labors, here is 4 Max. Now people complain about the price......

You can never make everyone happy. Buy what you like. Don't like it, more stocks for people who wants it.

Cold Steel haters are a dedicated bunch. They like their artsy-fartsy $1k+ knives with 80% of the frame hogged out so their girly thumbs can operate the frame lock. Now that Cold Steel has addressed their complaints, they've resorted to unsubstantiated mud slinging.

Even at MSRP, nothing touches a 4-MAX. By all means, continue to hate it. The more on the market, the better the deals for those of us who know better.

Cold Steel haters are a dedicated bunch. They like their artsy-fartsy $1k+ knives with 80% of the frame hogged out so their girly thumbs can operate the frame lock. Now that Cold Steel has addressed their complaints, they've resorted to unsubstantiated mud slinging.

Even at MSRP, nothing touches a 4-MAX. By all means, continue to hate it. The more on the market, the better the deals for those of us who know better.
Go, hd! :thumbup:

Hey fellow Cold Steel Fans - I hope this is informative. Picked my 4-Max up yesterday 5/19 at the Cold Steel Booth at the NRA Annual Convention. I was just hoping to see the 4-Max and hold it, but ended up pleasantly surprised to walk away with one. Price on display at the booth was $390. A little wheelin' and dealin' and I saved a few $$.

Here is what I like:

1) It is heavy, but anyone should expect that from a huge knife. Excessively heavy? NO. I am impressed by the balance - middle point is right in the area of your index finger, makes it feel much lighter and its easy to maneuver.
2) I like the color both G10 and blade. I wish some of the Coyote and Olive Drab knives came with a non black blade.
3) Jimping is nice - not the best I've felt on a knife but decent.
4) This is the best feeling grip I've ever held. I can't put it down and I'm sure your mileage will vary but it feels like it was custom made for my hand. I wear XL size gloves if that helps at all, but my hands are not huge.
5) Great job on the titanium liners - no sharp edges! I hate grabbing a knife and feeling the liner edges.

My biggest complaint is the quality of the G10. Of all the Cold Steels pictured this is the least grippy (except for the smooth sided Code 4). I have grown very fond of the thin knives with the "flat" G10 - meaning the Recons, Lawman, and Broken Skulls. The 4-Max has more rounded G10 but it is no where near as grippy or as nice looking as what is used on the Swift or Ultimate Hunter. It should be for the price of the knife. Hey Cold Steel, make some better grips - I'll buy them.

Overall - I really do like the knife, but I don't think I would be buying too many more in this price range. Just so you know, I am a Cold Steel folder addict.

Sorry for the quality of the pics. I haven't been posting pics on forums for a while.

Last edited:
Hey fellow Cold steel Fans - I hope this is informative. Picked my 4-Max up yesterday 5/19 at the Cold Steel Booth at the NRA Annual Convention. I was just hoping to see the 4-Max and hold it, but ended up pleasantly surprised to walk away with one. Price on display at the booth was $390. A little wheelin' and dealin' and I saved a few $$.

Here is what I like:

1) It is heavy, but anyone should expect that from a huge knife. Excessively heavy? NO. I am impressed by the balance - middle point is right in the area of your index finger, makes it feel much lighter and its easy to maneuver.
2) I like the color both G10 and blade. I wish some of the Coyote and Olive Drag knives came with a non black blade.
4) This is the best feeling grip I've ever held. I can't put it down and I'm sure your mileage will vary but it feels like it was custom made for my hand. I wear XL size gloves if that helps at all, but my hands are not huge.
5) Great job on the titanium liners - no sharp edges! I hate grabbing a knife and feeling the liner edges.

My biggest complaint is the quality of the G10. Of all the Cold Steels pictured this is the least grippy (except for the smooth sided Code 4). I have grown very fond of the thin knives with the "flat" G10 - meaning the Recons, Lawman, and Broken Skulls. The 4-Max has more rounded G10 but it is no where near as grippy or as nice looking as what is used on the Swift or Ultimate Hunter. It should be for the price of the knife. Hey Cold Steel, make some better grips - I'll buy them.

Overall - I really do like the knife, but I don't think I would be buying too many more in this price range. Just so you know, I am a Cold Steel folder addict.

Sorry for the quality of the pics. I haven't been posting pics on forums for a while.

Max envy.

Pocket clip looks riveted. No scale changing, unless you drill and install new crush rivets.

I believe the pocket clip is held on by threaded posts that have a smooth rounded head on the clip side and a Torx screw that threads in from the opposite side (like the fasteners used on the Ti-Lites). Not 100% sure, but that's how it looks.

edit: A binding post, essentially. I also just noticed that one is also used just above the dip in the pocket clip, so I'm pretty sure that's what they are. :thumbup:

Last edited:
The clip is held on with "Chicago Screws" - there may be other terms. They should do more of their clips this way - it would eliminate stripping the threads in the aluminum spacers on some of their other knives (yes I stripped one on a Recon - Sigh)

Also another comparison Pic - hopefully more presentable and I've added the Recon XL for comparison.

4-Max-Clip-Mount-RS
4-Max-Comparo-2-RS

Last edited:
The clip is held on with "Chicago Screws" - there may be other terms. They should do more of their clips this way - it would eliminate stripping the threads in the aluminum spacers on some of their other knives (yes I stripped one on a Recon - Sigh)
Thanks for the pics! The grip looks similar in size to the Recon 1 XL. I have 1 in XHP and love the grip. How does it compare?
Does the hole on the guard go through the blade, as well as the frame (when open)?

I think most of their folders would have blade interference problems with that type of screw. What they really need to do, is use longer screws. Their screws always seem to be shorter than necessary. I always use a jewelers torx, and i've been lucky so far.

Last edited:
Between the Broken Skull and this, lightweight EDC and heavyweight EDC, respectively, CS has the HD EDC market cornered.

Hey fellow Cold Steel Fans - I hope this is informative. Picked my 4-Max up yesterday 5/19 at the Cold Steel Booth at the NRA Annual Convention. I was just hoping to see the 4-Max and hold it, but ended up pleasantly surprised to walk away with one. Price on display at the booth was $390. A little wheelin' and dealin' and I saved a few $$.

Here is what I like:

2) I like the color both G10 and blade. I wish some of the Coyote and Olive Drab knives came with a non black blade.

I don't like the final blade design. Looks like a freakin' boat anchor. Why did they end up with that?

hermit dave:

4-Max versus Recon XL (older AUS-8A version). To me the 4-Max feels better but I have no complaints on Recon XL. As stated in earlier post, I like grippy G10 - best of all worlds (for me) would be the 4-Max handle with Recon XL G10.

A pin if inserted would not go through the blade. It is about the width of the pin away from the blade.

duro:

I agree the blade shape on this is nothing to get excited about - it is respectable but not inspired. It certainly resembles Demko's own knives.

If not obvious, the blade is a flat grind.

BTW, this Tri-Ad is easy to operate. From the first try, lock was easy to press and release. I'm sure we all know that can vary from knife to knife on Cold Steels. On other CS's I have loosened the pivot a slight bit - but not here. All I've done is added the 3 or 4 drops of Breakfree CLP. The blade is heavy enough that it drops when the Tri-Ad is released and it is easy to flick open.

4-Max-V-Recon-XL-RS

Last edited:
Thanks for info.
The blade looks good to me. I especially like the beefy pivot and lock pins.....gotta get me one of those!

I don't like the final blade design. Looks like a freakin' boat anchor. Why did they end up with that?

Looks great to me. The top swede does not show up well in these photos, but it adds to the look of the blade.

Looks great to me. The top swede does not show up well in these photos, but it adds to the look of the blade.

I don't get it. The first rendition was perfect. Why mess with it? Easier to grind? probably...

i like the blade, is it flat ground or hollow ground? can't really tell? thanks.

I agree. Any chance I was going to buy one went out the window when I saw these pictures. Definitely uninspiring.

Back