• Hollow Grind

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Flat Grind

Votes: 48 60.8%
  • Sabre Grind

Votes: 27 34.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Please dont quote me out of context and attempt to correct me.

Tops sold the BOB as a scandi grind, but it had a secondary bevel that was convex. I reground it to remove the secondary bevel to make it a true scandi.

For every chart one finds on the interwebs that calls the two different, you can find one calling them the same.

Let's not over complicate this. The blade thickness determines how useful the grind is in a particular blade.

Case in point- the 2018 forum knife... Everyone was gung ho about a flat grind, then boo-hooing because of the thickness behind the edge. Blade thickness is a key factor in choosing the grind type, and that's the point I was making.

And unless your using a sharpening rig that clamps the blade and stone at a specific angle; you will almost always have a convex cutting edge.

But, but, but, but.......Just kidding....:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

as said many times already the thickness has more bearing on uses than the two grinds. I believe this knife is thin enough to be a good slicer but thick enough to be strong for many tasks. all debatable of course........

The Yellow Jacket is a sweet knife
  • Blade Material:CPM-S90V, 154CM
  • Blade Grind:Flat

Let's not over complicate this. The blade thickness determines how useful the grind is in a particular blade.
Case in point- the 2018 forum knife... Everyone was gung ho about a flat grind, then boo-hooing because of the thickness behind the edge. Blade thickness is a key factor in choosing the grind type, and that's the point I was making....

"Let's not over complicate this. The blade thickness determines how useful the grind is in a particular blade.
Case in point- the 2018 forum knife... Everyone was gung ho about a flat grind, then boo-hooing because of the thickness behind the edge. Blade thickness is a key factor in choosing the grind type"

Flat. I’m unfortunately the odd man out. D2 was my last choice by a long shot. C'est la vie. At least it won’t be a hollow grind.

Please dont quote me out of context and attempt to correct me.

But that would eliminate 80% of forum chatter.... ;)

Could you say more on this?

I note that my Mora Companion has a relatively thin blade (0.1") but came stock with a Scandi grind. And I note that my old Puuko (pictured above) has a much thicker blade and a Scandi (primary) grind.[1]

As I see it, both thickness and grind can be chosen to support a range of uses. Generally I prefer thinner knives over thicker knives. For a camp knife, I would want something at or very close to 0.1", don't want neither a hollow grind nor a full flat grind. I prefer the shoulder of a flat grind (aka saber grind) to be mid height or lower, but that would only be because I'm about to convex the heck of the thing. Other than a hollow grind, the last thing I want on a camp knife is a sharp distinct primary grind shoulder.

[1] - I see a Scandi (primary) grind (aka a low saber grind) and Scandic-Style sharpening (to a zero edge with no micro-bevel) as 2 different conversations.

Case in point- the 2018 forum knife... Everyone was gung ho about a flat grind, then boo-hooing because of the thickness behind the edge.

I suspect that the popularity of hollow grind (beyond just Buck) creates an expectation of blades being thin behind the edge and the easy maintenance sharpening that produces (as opposed to convex or Scandi sharpening or the need to add back bevels to full flat knives).

Going with flat on this one. Seems like a good match for D2 especially when the stock model is 5160 hollow grind. Got a lightly used stripped stock one on the way, so D2 flat grind would be a nice alternate option!

Back