5th Annual: Help Us Build a Buck: Fixed Blade (Giveaway)

Choose the fixed blade model.

• Buck 104 Compadre

Votes: 59 47.2%
  • Buck 105 Pathfinder

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Buck 119 Special

Votes: 23 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This thread made me realize that I NEED a 20CV Buck 102.

I would guess in the 140 to 160 range. I could be wrong. Especially with the options shown.

I see the 105 is loosing ground in the poll. I'll take one last crack at it... Back in 2004, Buck did a signature series with the 100 series fixed blades where they redesigned the 105 (and 119) as full tang models with checkered walnut slabs. They were limited to 1000 each and were renamed 805 and 819. They are actually lighter in weight than their phenolic and aluminum pommel counterparts. Here's a screen capture of the catalog listing for them. Sorry it's a little blurry.

I hope Dogpound77 doesn't mind that I borrowed his photo of this extra special 105/805:

yep.

still havent changed my vote on the 119, but will soon. really tough one as the 104 is a great knife and could be even better in this race. then again a full tang 105......the possibilites.......

just out of curiosity, does anyone have any side by side pictures of the 104 Compadre and the 632 Mesa? They appear to have a very similar profile.

I'll give up a nicer 112! I had a little revelation at the start of this thread. I spend the vast majority of my Buck bucks on 112's since I display and collect them and in the last few years I've realized I like 'other' Bucks too..It really dosen't matter if I have 50 112's in my display or 55. It still will look good. So why not pick up a few non 112's especially if I want to use and try them. In fact my latest Buck is a 880 SB.1 in ATS-34 just because I wanted to see what they were all about. Im waiting for it to be delivered on Thursday or Friday. So Stephen I'm ready to get this one as long as its not 420..

Well my vote would have been a 119 because it's my favorite fixed blade period, but there are several variations available now to collect so I can't complain. I think I'll withhold my vote for now because I can't guarantee I'd buy a 104 or 105. However, they're both great knives and I'm sure looking forward to seeing what you all come up with. A 104 with something other than a hollow grind would certainly get my attention. Getting rid of that ever so slight recurve, for ease of sharpening, would be great too.

I don't think anyone has posted a picture of this years 104 that Buck is now doing. Looks much better than with a red blade.

This is pretty much actual size at 9-1/2" overall. At least on my computer screen.
9Lrv48z.jpg
That looks like a completely different knife, just by some basic color changes. I think this brings out the lines a lot better, instead of the eye bleeding red drawing your attention.

That looks like a completely different knife, just by some basic color changes. I think this brings out the lines a lot better, instead of the eye bleeding red drawing your attention.
Well the red blade serves a massive purpose of course. If you actually take the knife camping, it is very easy to spot on a sprawling campsite. Can't tell you how many times I spent wandering around looking for my, basically camo colored, Buck Hoodlum.

All three are great choices Without doubt i love the 119, but im excited to see a 104 custom.
good point, Sir. might be the only time we see a custom 104.

im still stuck between the two...if I knew the 105 full tang possibility was a no go itd be easier......

Well the red blade serves a massive purpose of course. If you actually take the knife camping, it is very easy to spot on a sprawling campsite. Can't tell you how many times I spent wandering around looking for my, basically camo colored, Buck Hoodlum.

Absolutely, it's one of the reasons I love orange handles. I would prefer a subdued color blade and bright handle vs the other way around, as is the case with the compadre. Different stroke for different folks.

I've started trying orange lanyards and shock cord as an alternative and it seems to work pretty well as the lanyard usually gets caught up enough in grass and what-not so that it's the highest point of the knife and stays off the ground a little so it's easier to spot.

Absolutely, it's one of the reasons I love orange handles. I would prefer a subdued color blade and bright handle vs the other way around, as is the case with the compadre. Different stroke for different folks.

I've started trying orange lanyards and shock cord as an alternative and it seems to work pretty well as the lanyard usually gets caught up enough in grass and what-not so that it's the highest point of the knife and stays off the ground a little so it's easier to spot.
I'd prefer the natural steel color myself, so I'm excited to see the direction the group is going. I just wanted to give the red a fair shake. :D Love the suggestion on shock cords!

Back