940 Picture Thread: Show us those 940s!!

27BF0A8D-E0FA-41BE-9317-C02D072C446A.jpeg The knife with the black lock hardware is a limited edition Titanium model. It came that way from the factory. The lock parts on the 940/943’s are stainless steel, but not especially so. I have had to remove rust from lock parts on several occasions. The Omega springs were particularly hard to clean up.

Just got my 940-2 yesterday.

i6UUkuX.jpg

T tiguy7 one of your 940's axis locks is black, how'd ya go about doing that?

tiguy7's titanium model came with the black hardware, as he mentioned above. I got my black axis lock and thumbstud from a 527 Mini Presidio Ultra. That's one of the only models I could find that had interchangeable parts for the 940. The only other one I can think of off the top of my head would be the Gaucho.

Satin nickel plated 942.
SAM-5926-2.jpg

D530B78C-2828-42DA-A82C-0A8D59A45642.jpeg The lock bars on the Gauchos are black, but the lock plates are not. I have put 940 and 943 blades in Gaucho handles and Gaucho blades in 940/943 handles. Everything works fine except the 940 handle doesn’t quite hide the tip of the Gaucho blade.

tiguy7's titanium model came with the black hardware, as he mentioned above. I got my black axis lock and thumbstud from a 527 Mini Presidio Ultra. That's one of the only models I could find that had interchangeable parts for the 940. The only other one I can think of off the top of my head would be the Gaucho.

Satin nickel plated 942.
SAM-5926-2.jpg

Dumb question: how do you get Satin Nickel to stick to Aluminum? Aluminum is difficult to electroplate or to anodize in my experience. I have seen Satin Nickel on Puma knives, but it is applied over die cast Zinc alloy.

Dumb question: how do you get Satin Nickel to stick to Aluminum? Aluminum is difficult to electroplate or to anodize in my experience. I have seen Satin Nickel on Puma knives, but it is applied over die cast Zinc alloy.
I honestly don't know. When I bought that knife it was already plated. I was kinda skeptical at first, thinking it might just be painted, but I've used that one as my edc for a few years now and the finish is extremely durable.

It might be Cerakoted AL. If it’s an Al handle, it will weigh around 82gm. If it’s a Ti handle, it will weigh around 92gm.

It might be Cerakoted AL. If it’s an Al handle, it will weigh around 82gm. If it’s a Ti handle, it will weigh around 92gm.
Could be. I don't think the guy I bought it from would've lied to me, but I also don't know if he's the one that had it done or if he bought it from someone else and was just relying on their word. It weighs 81 grams on my scale (so does my 940BK), so it's definitely aluminum scales. It doesn't seem to be magnetic at all, but I don't know if that's a definitive test for finding out if something is nickel plated. Here's some better pics in natural lighting against a white background (the top pocket clip is a standard Benchmade clip just there for comparison)...
IMG-1188.jpg

IMG-1189.jpg

IMG-1190.jpg

The thickness specification for an interior satin Nickel plate (like furniture hardware) would be about .3-.5 mils or about .00030”-.00050”. A Nickel deposit that thin would be hard to detect. Try this. Take a super magnet like Samarium Cobalt and attach it to a string. Swing the magnet over the surmised Nickel plate. The pendulum motion will be interrupted by the Ferromagnetism of the Nickel.

The thickness specification for an interior satin Nickel plate (like furniture hardware) would be about .3-.5 mils or about .00030”-.00050”. A Nickel deposit that thin would be hard to detect. Try this. Take a super magnet like Samarium Cobalt and attach it to a string. Swing the magnet over the surmised Nickel plate. The pendulum motion will be interrupted by the Ferromagnetism of the Nickel.
I had an old hard drive laying around, so I took it apart and used the magnet from it (I believe it's neodymium). I was able to get the scale to attract to it slightly. I could only get it to lift up 1/4"-1/2" by sticking the magnet at the end of the scale.

There you go. Nothing other than Nickel would account for that attraction. The Satin Nickel should be more durable than Cerakote.
I have some Nikon Titanium eye glasses that are slightly attracted to a magnet. It turns out that they are Nickel plated to facilitate the application of various finishes (black, gold, tortoise shell, silver, etc.
Try that magnet on a green Al handle.

I just tried it on a regular 940 and it wasn't attracted to it at all. The only other factor I could think of on the other one would be if there was metal transfer from the bottom of the screw head to the scale. But the screws have a black coating on them, so I don't think that would be the case. Thanks for the tip about the super magnet.

I’ll ask about Satin Nickel at the Benchmade booth at the Blade Show. A lot of their tech people hang out there.

Last edited:
I wish the plating on mine was thick enough to get a polished finish on the flats, but I don't think it is.

I don’t know of a non-destructive way to measure the plating thickness. Satin Nickel usually has some bits hanging in the Nickel plating bath that are codeposited with the Nickel to reduce the “gloss”. The plating bath is agitated with compressed air to keep these relatively large particles suspended in the solution. I mention this to warn that even with a thick deposit the surface may not shine up too well. Bright Nickel has no “chunks”.

Back