Photos A Walk in Nature

Who doesn't love hikes in the Fall?

3Ls7ITU.jpeg

And so another season comes to a close ... "Esperanza now safely tucked away for her long winter's sleep.
There she awaits for the "white stuff" to cover her during her long hibernation. ❄️:)

l9WKunI.jpg

Reminiscing about Georgian Bay.

Clinging on to "hope" …. I mean ... Clinging onto "Esperanza" on the troubled waters of Georgian Bay.

hZ7H121.png

On another "calm" day :) I took my wife on a trip to the "The Pancakes" Islands.

I was told they were crown land.
It turned out that only the island on the right was crown land. The one on the left was private which we bravely invaded …fortunately for us it's inhabitants were kind and let us go without any severe consequences 😄

DeHwkBU.jpg

Gb9YzES.jpg

The islands feature the typical Canadian shield landscape.

xR8sfSP.jpg

ge3VDhX.jpg

85abBjp.jpg

Looking over to the the island that we had invaded minutes before

1cKVkET.jpg

On another day ... on another island invasion somewhere having a picnic

YU0ils1.jpg

Killbear Point ... from land

AQB7G8Q.jpg

Killbear Point ... from the water

WjLwWDj.jpg

A beautiful sunset signals the end of the season.

gznR4kd.jpg

cWp97Mk.jpg

What he said ^^^^ ⬆️ ;):cool::D

And so another season comes to a close ... "Esperanza now safely tucked away for her long winter's sleep.
There she awaits for the "white stuff" to cover her during her long hibernation. ❄️:)

l9WKunI.jpg

Clinging on to "hope" …. I mean ... Clinging onto "Esperanza" on the troubled waters of Georgian Bay.

hZ7H121.png

On another "calm" day :) I took my wife on a trip to the "The Pancakes" Islands.

It turned out that only the island on the right was crown land. The one on the left was private which we bravely invaded …fortunately for us it's inhabitants were kind and let us go without any severe consequences 😄

DeHwkBU.jpg

Gb9YzES.jpg

xR8sfSP.jpg

ge3VDhX.jpg

85abBjp.jpg

1cKVkET.jpg

YU0ils1.jpg

AQB7G8Q.jpg

WjLwWDj.jpg

gznR4kd.jpg

cWp97Mk.jpg

Great post Dan! 😎👍

Thank you so much Dan for bringing us along on this past season’s adventures. Also tell your wonderful family thank you for letting you turn your attention from them from time to time so you could post and keep us up to date.

I really felt like I was right there with you at times.

Last edited:
Love ending the weekend with some Sunday hiking :)

Up early today, headed South the the Crowsnest Pass area to hike to Lille Ghost Town, an abandoned coal mining town (abandoned around 1913).

On the way there we stopped to see Lundbreck Falls.

hItA4MX.jpg

After that, a short trip further up the highway, and we were on the trail. Looked to be a gorgeous day!

GwDGAuw.jpg

HBzcOlR.jpg

Old truck (I think) near the trailhead. Nice shiny bumper still ;)

gpthFUW.jpg

Tree cows keeping us company along the trail.

PsI7LmX.jpg

The remains of the power house beside the creek at mine site 1.

C8zDM0b.jpg

MLTsN7W.jpg

Not many leaves left on the trees - Fall well on the way here.

XazAdGR.jpg

Found the Lille Cemetery a little ways off the trail.

WcunCrJ.jpg

At the old townsite. A couple walls still standing, as well as the old coke ovens, but for the rest of the town, just a couple hints of where the foundations used to be. Lambsfoot along for the walk today.

9COdd5d.jpg

lOnadPe.jpg

ErANpQJ.jpg

eXL1CcT.jpg

9ieNwik.jpg

On the way back, stopped at a little waterfall along the creek for lunch and some hot chocolate :)

qrVpFTw.jpg

YgfVun1.jpg

Last stop of the day at the Frank Slide Interpretive Centre, where part of a mining town was wiped out in 90 seconds back in 1903 at around 4am!

8orKI6E.jpg

2fAKthq.jpg

Up early today, headed South the the Crowsnest Pass area to hike to Lille Ghost Town, an abandoned coal mining town (abandoned around 1913).

hItA4MX.jpg

After that, a short trip further up the highway, and we were on the trail. Looked to be a gorgeous day!

GwDGAuw.jpg

HBzcOlR.jpg

gpthFUW.jpg

PsI7LmX.jpg

C8zDM0b.jpg

MLTsN7W.jpg

XazAdGR.jpg

WcunCrJ.jpg

At the old townsite. A couple walls still standing, as well as the old coke ovens, but for the rest of the town, just a couple hints of where the foundations used to be. Lambsfoot along for the walk today.

9COdd5d.jpg

lOnadPe.jpg

ErANpQJ.jpg

eXL1CcT.jpg

9ieNwik.jpg

On the way back, stopped at a little waterfall along the creek for lunch and some hot chocolate :)

qrVpFTw.jpg

YgfVun1.jpg

Last stop of the day at the Frank Slide Interpretive Centre, where part of a mining town was wiped out in 90 seconds back in 1903 at around 4am!

8orKI6E.jpg

2fAKthq.jpg
Great pictures Mike! Beautiful country, thanks for posting your hike! 😎👍

Great post Dan! 😎👍
Thanks Tod :)
Thank you so much Dan for bringing us along on this past season’s adventures. Also tell your wonderful family thank you for letting you turn your attention from them from time to time so you could post and keep us up to date.

I really felt like I was right there with you at times.

Gracias Tom for the kind words my friend :).
I am happy I was able to share them here.
I am a bit of an introvert but even introverts need to reach out an connect. Being able to share with the porch my little solo adventures gave me something to focus on and it felt I was not alone. :)

Thanks for sharing Mike !
Fascinating to read up on the story of of the Frank's slide too, wow.
Beautiful country ! ... and that hot chocolate and a cool autumn day while hiking = :thumbsup:☕ 😋 !!!

lucVc3g.jpg

c6YNqMv.jpg

l9WKunI.jpg

hZ7H121.png

Gb9YzES.jpg

85abBjp.jpg

1cKVkET.jpg

cWp97Mk.jpg

Great post Dan, your Esperanza posts have been such a treat this year :) :thumbsup:

hItA4MX.jpg

GwDGAuw.jpg

gpthFUW.jpg

C8zDM0b.jpg

MLTsN7W.jpg

XazAdGR.jpg

lOnadPe.jpg

ErANpQJ.jpg
Wonderful pics, and a fascinating post Mike :) Some coal-mining discussion in the Guardians thread over the past couple of days :thumbsup:
Love those pics of your ebony Lamb Dan :) :thumbsup:

Great post Dan, your Esperanza posts have been such a treat this year :) :thumbsup:
Gracias Jack :)
My summer was enhanced by your Summer Dan :thumbsup: Thanks to you and others for keeping this thread interesting and inspiring.
Thanks Ray :) , hopefully I'll be able to show you some of these places aboard "Esperanza" next summer :cool:

Here are a few more Autumn pictures from my archives to help set the mood in my mind for the new season :).
The color's on the trees have started to change around here and the leaves have began to fall.

Time to get serious about resuming walking and making it into a habit once again :thumbsup:

BT9BtxY.jpg

4MOzXwu.jpg

vIdaZby.jpg

nx1YfSb.jpg

nDCzerf.jpg

TQ3eJ1E.jpg

Thanks Ray :) , hopefully I'll be able to show you some of these places aboard "Esperanza" next summer :cool:

Here are a few more Autumn pictures from my archives to help set the mood in my mind for the new season :).
The color's on the trees have started to change around here and the leaves have began to fall.

Time to get serious about resuming walking and making it into a habit once again :thumbsup:

BT9BtxY.jpg

4MOzXwu.jpg

vIdaZby.jpg

nx1YfSb.jpg

nDCzerf.jpg

TQ3eJ1E.jpg
Incredible Lambsfoot pics Dan :) It's been a wet start to Autumn here, but I also need to get into the habit of going out hiking again :thumbsup:

e1DRZnv.jpg

ShBOgOt.jpg

af2Adrp.jpg

vGGrWLI.jpg

l9WKunI.jpg

hZ7H121.png

DeHwkBU.jpg

Gb9YzES.jpg

xR8sfSP.jpg

ge3VDhX.jpg

85abBjp.jpg

1cKVkET.jpg

YU0ils1.jpg

AQB7G8Q.jpg

WjLwWDj.jpg

gznR4kd.jpg

cWp97Mk.jpg

Wow Dan !!!!!!!! That is what it has been like for me to view your Inland Water Travels my friend . Time now to get your Ice Board out and
get the Runners all shined up .

Harry

Last edited:

BT9BtxY.jpg

4MOzXwu.jpg

vIdaZby.jpg

nx1YfSb.jpg

nDCzerf.jpg

TQ3eJ1E.jpg
Now it is time again for more of your incredible photos of Birds and other Wildlife , I hope .

Harry

hItA4MX.jpg

GwDGAuw.jpg

HBzcOlR.jpg

gpthFUW.jpg

PsI7LmX.jpg

C8zDM0b.jpg

MLTsN7W.jpg

XazAdGR.jpg

WcunCrJ.jpg

9COdd5d.jpg

lOnadPe.jpg

ErANpQJ.jpg

eXL1CcT.jpg

9ieNwik.jpg

qrVpFTw.jpg

YgfVun1.jpg

8orKI6E.jpg

2fAKthq.jpg
It has been a Real Pleasure to go on hikes with you and your Wife Mike . I have enjoyed them more than you will ever know my friend .

Harry

Back