Photos A Walk in Nature

Earlier in the week I promised CelloDan CelloDan some snow pictures. Since the forecast said the snow wouldn’t get to us until tonight, we decided to go looking for it on a hike :)

Come along as we hike to Ribbon Falls :)

TLDR - went looking for snow, found some.

SrpamjF.jpg

This hike is dedicated to Dan. Christina was a good sport for this one, and after almost 20km hopes Dan appreciates the effort ;)

Beautiful drive out this morning,

dJe9WTu.jpg

Started out raining. Cleared up around 4km in.

bpDcqyo.jpg

lIpjvte.jpg

6NfI3WK.jpg

Lambsfoot along in the pocket today.

u0VjjBk.jpg

ddxHm85.jpg

People having fun with a couple of stumps along the trail.

67DHHbf.jpg

8YUWsAo.jpg

Some great little waterfalls along the creek.

4U2lpAg.jpg

AdO67w9.jpg

QxT7oRF.jpg

JHR10lz.jpg

Wait! What’s this… Something appears to be sticking to the trail ahead.

8ln5xZG.jpg

After this, more white stuff started falling from the sky. Setting up for lunch and some hot chocolate

LqKLyev.jpg

A little further along and we made it to Ribbon Falls.

MZ5lmbJ.jpg

jjvSLcH.jpg

On the way back down, the snow started coming down in earnest.

OapiF0o.jpg

CagZagn.jpg

Drive home was a little different than the drive out.

25XFHnp.jpg

Thanks for coming along with us, and Dan, I hope this was enough s@#w to do you for a while until you get some out East :D

Oh WOW !!!
Mike, Crazy Canuck Crazy Canuck , my good friend, your post totally made my day :thumbsup: :) ( despite that fact that it exposed my sensitive eyes to the most dreaded "white stuff" :eek: LOL )

You guys rock :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:
Tell Christina that I very much appreciate her valiant efforts !!! :)
Such beautiful vistas ! ... I would have loved to tag along with you guys no matter the "s#*w" :)

... after all it is on public record that many years ago I decided to "EMBRACE" winter ( yeah sure :D )

Background to the video:

About 12 years ago we went skating to the Rideau Canal in Ottawa on opening day , it was like - 21 celcius ( -5.8 F )

The evening news TV crew approached us for a little chat.
My wife quickly scampered away and when I asked her after why she was so camera shy she told me " I called in sick today REMEMBER ! "

Sure enough, the next day a few of her coworkers told her they had seen me on TV with the kids and that " too bad she was sick and could not joined us" 🤣

Mike, you do live in a most beautiful country, some of those shots look like the background print on a GEC tube. Reminds me of old Johnny Horton songs when i see your photos. Just makes you realise how tough those original pioneers were to trek into that country, trapping and trading and searching for gold. Thanks for posting.🥰

Segura de la Sierra,on my road trip around Spain it was raining so I went for a little wander up to the impressive castle.​

I saw some deer and so stalked them with my camera,sadly I only had a short lens but what a pleasure to watch them feeding and getting on with life.

I had taken my orange GEC sodbuster on this trip as its easier to find if you drop it.

You would probably know much better than I. I'm not even an amateur mycologist. I might be able to successfully look it up, but I have heard enough horror stories regarding wild mushrooms to be more than cautious. It certainly looked cool and was the largest mushroom I recall seeing in person. And it was clear that various critters had been nibbling at it. Thank you for the like and the comment!

ETA: Thank you also for the tip. It looks like you are correct on the identification.
That's one of the easy ones! :D And very tasty ;) I've never seen one that size before though! :eek: :D :thumbsup:
Earlier in the week I promised CelloDan CelloDan some snow pictures. Since the forecast said the snow wouldn’t get to us until tonight, we decided to go looking for it on a hike :)

SrpamjF.jpg

This hike is dedicated to Dan. Christina was a good sport for this one, and after almost 20km hopes Dan appreciates the effort ;)

dJe9WTu.jpg
Your photos are absolutely breathtaking Mike :cool: Thanks to you and Christina for your efforts, you certainly earned your hot chocolate :) :thumbsup:
... after all it is on public record that many years ago I decided to "EMBRACE" winter ( yeah sure :D )

Background to the video:

About 12 years ago we went skating to the Rideau Canal in Ottawa on opening day , it was like - 21 celcius ( -5.8 F )

The evening news TV crew approached us for a little chat.
My wife quickly scampered away and when I asked her after why she was so camera shy she told me " I called in sick today REMEMBER ! "

Sure enough, the next day a few of her coworkers told her they had seen me on TV with the kids and that " too bad she was sick and could not joined us" 🤣
I remember you telling that story before Dan, hilarious! 🤣 🤣 :thumbsup:

Went on a little trip over the past weekend to the Northern fringe of Washington.

The trip was meant for my daughter who is a HUUUUGE "Twilight" fan...so to the Forks and La Push we went. Not to bore all of you with the Team Edward/Team Jacob stuff 😁 but couple of shots from Hurricane Ridge and La Push!

Q1huAOH.jpg

qpzGT5z.jpg

FYI, it was snowing during our walk up on the Hurricane Ridge...was not prepared for this and I didn't want to take my hands out of my pocket to take pictures! 😖

BUT! The highlight of MY trip! Went to a local True Value store in Forks and found an Imperial NRA, couple of Boker Tree brands, and a "Mitsuboshi"??? I'll take a bit more pictures after I clean them up a bit...a lot of gunk...Yup, all for $30....They were selling 'used' traditional knives!!!

Anyone whoever visit the Forks, stop by the true value store...Super friendly neighborhood staff!!!

E9JTFWb.jpg

Hello Porch "nature walkers" :)
I've enjoyed the posts over this thanksgiving weekend here in Canada 🇨🇦

From learning about giant Boletus Edulis mushrooms to catching glimpses of the beautiful scenery from Colorado Springs, The Sierra Foothills in California, the James River in Virginia, Alberta, Spain and Washington as experienced by fellow "Porchers (is that even a word LOL)
… and cool knives too :thumbsup: :cool:

As I was walking my local trail this afternoon experiencing a bit of "wanderlust" :) for the places I would love to see and experience I noticed this little flower on the ground and thought that while dreaming is always great so it is to enjoy the here and now and to live the moment.

Tp0oTbO.jpg

As I was walking my local trail this afternoon experiencing a bit of "wanderlust" :) for the places I would love to see and experience I noticed this little flower on the ground and thought that while dreaming is always great so it is to enjoy the here and now and to live the moment.
I was overtaken by a similar sentiment last spring when I took this picture (sorry no knife in it). It’s a little out of focus but somehow I like it.

It was as if it was admonishing me not to be oblivious to the beauty in little things.

I stayed close to home today too. Took a short bike ride to this local reservoir, then took a walk around it:

It was a little breezy and walnuts and hickory nuts were crashing down through the canopy everywhere. Live tree roots make a sort of natural stairway on this portion of the path. Hard to see but they go all the way to the top of the hill:

Sorry no knife pictures. I kind of half tried to keep an eye out for a good setting for one, but nothing really jumped out at me.

SrpamjF.jpg

dJe9WTu.jpg

Started out raining. Cleared up around 4km in.

bpDcqyo.jpg

lIpjvte.jpg

6NfI3WK.jpg

Lambsfoot along in the pocket today.

u0VjjBk.jpg

ddxHm85.jpg

People having fun with a couple of stumps along the trail.

67DHHbf.jpg

8YUWsAo.jpg

Some great little waterfalls along the creek.

4U2lpAg.jpg

AdO67w9.jpg

QxT7oRF.jpg

JHR10lz.jpg

Wait! What’s this… Something appears to be sticking to the trail ahead.

8ln5xZG.jpg

After this, more white stuff started falling from the sky. Setting up for lunch and some hot chocolate

LqKLyev.jpg

A little further along and we made it to Ribbon Falls.

MZ5lmbJ.jpg

jjvSLcH.jpg

On the way back down, the snow started coming down in earnest.

OapiF0o.jpg

CagZagn.jpg

Drive home was a little different than the drive out.

25XFHnp.jpg

Thanks for coming along with us, and Dan, I hope this was enough s@#w to do you for a while until you get some out East :D
fantastic post buddy TYFS

There’s a small park near my house in town that is backed up to roughly 80 acres of woods. There must be a decent amount of wildlife in there, since I once found the remains of a fawn on the edge of the acreage. I take the pup there often.

AEA5FD60-88B4-4F43-859B-9760A1678C64.jpeg3C0AD352-03D9-4B2F-A76C-2AE2AEF58565.jpeg

He found something he liked.

D3834CB6-AF40-4ADE-9B3F-57816B280639.jpeg

But he didn’t notice the turtles in the creek. There are also ducks there sometimes.

FB3602D1-BAD5-4036-BA8F-71AD43889B9A.jpeg

Back