Albers Cutlery Company

So @waverave loaned me his Ironwood from this first run. It's extremely beautiful! I did a review video here:

I have a question: Are these shields pinned? I couldn't see any pin showing through in the liner. I did mention in the video that it could be pinned some way I'm unfamiliar with, but I definitely didn't see any pin through the liner.
They're pinned. In his pilot run, the pin and shield metals we're disimiliar so you could see the pin even after polishing. I can see the pin in the blade well on mine but it's difficult to pick out.
Va004AH.jpg

Last edited:
Nice review Logan, that is some beautiful wood. I'm sure Erik will jump in, but what I've noticed on his knives is shield pinning depends.
- Red Trout and Moore Maker not pinned, likely due to the embossed shield. I would suspect that it is the same with Canal Street but I don't own one to verify.
- Albers Cutlery Kirinite scales pinned, mastodon ivory edited to add pinned.

Last edited:
Nice review Logan, that is some beautiful wood. I'm sure Erik will jump in, but what I've noticed on his knives is shield pinning depends.
- Red Trout and Moore Maker not pinned, likely due to the embossed shield. I would suspect that it is the same with Canal Street but I don't own one to verify.
- Albers Cutlery Kirinite scales pinned, mastodon ivory not pinned.

I suspect it comes down to handle material type in the end.
The shield on my Mastodon Ivory Albers is pinned - at least there is a slight outline of the pin on the shield.

The shield on my Mastodon Ivory Albers is pinned - at least there is a slight outline of the pin on the shield.
I'll have to check again when I get home. Like Logan, I could not see any evidence on the interior liner.

I know you can't always believe what you read these days, but it is mentioned on Eric's site that shields are pinned. I would not doubt that this to be the case on any of the knives made so far or going forward.

Russell

I had to get out a flashlight and look very closely, but I can confirm the pin is visible on the interior liner. Pic below, but it's not the easiest to see.

PTYMpXe.jpg

Full pic of my beautiful ironwood version, which I am extremely happy with and have carried just about every day since receiving it.

dVostfL.jpg

Last edited:
I had to get out a flashlight and look very closely, but I can confirm the pin is visible on the interior liner. Pic below, but it's not the easiest to see.

PTYMpXe.jpg

Full pic of my beautiful ironwood version, which I am extremely happy with and have carried just about every day since receiving it.

dVostfL.jpg

Wow. You all probably won't believe me, but I really did look.... I guess just not close enough!

It's ironic that the reason I thought they weren't pinned was because the pinning is so finely done it's difficult to see.

ALL the shields are through pinned on the Albers knives folks. Every last one of them. If it can't be pinned I won't use it.

Beautiful pics everyone!

Eric

Sorry for the misinformation! I took that video down from being public and recorded a new one that will go up today. I certainly don't want to be putting false information out there.

PTYMpXe.jpg

dVostfL.jpg
That is a beaut!

I carry my Maroon Micarta nearly every day as well. These knives are as functional as they are beautiful.

Wow. You all probably won't believe me, but I really did look.... I guess just not close enough!

It's ironic that the reason I thought they weren't pinned was because the pinning is so finely done it's difficult to see.

Sorry for the misinformation! I took that video down from being public and recorded a new one that will go up today. I certainly don't want to be putting false information out there.

I appreciate you doing that, although for some reason the links on this thread still bring you to the original review. Another error in there is the steel is CPM154, not 154CM. CPM154 has finer more evenly disbursed carbides making it tougher with better edge holding characteristics. Both the steel type and fact that the shields are pinned are right on the website.

Eric

I appreciate you doing that, although for some reason the links on this thread still bring you to the original review. Another error in there is the steel is CPM154, not 154CM. CPM154 has finer more evenly disbursed carbides making it tougher with better edge holding characteristics. Both the steel type and fact that the shields are pinned are right on the website.

Eric

Hey Eric, I think I made it so that the link to the old video won't work, and I'm gonna edit it out of my other comment.

Yes, saying 154cm was a misspeak. I had read CPM154 on the site and here, but just switched it on accident. I often accidentally switch the two when speaking, but I know the difference and have used both. I read the previous discussion on the pins showing on the shields in the pilot run and the site. That's why I so surprised to see, I thought, that the shield wasn't pinned on the one I was loaned (which obviously I was incorrect about). Like I said, it was because it is done so much better than I'm used to that I didn't notice the pin. I fixed both errors in the new video. Here is the new video.

In my original comment (and I believe video) I did mention the possibility of it being pinned some way I was not familiar with, but I understand that it still is misinformation.

I am not always right, but I try to provide good info to people and when I make a mistake I always do my best to right it.

Logan that's no problem at all, in fact I consider it a compliment if you can't see the pin LOL. It's not so easy hiding those things!
I appreciate the review too! :) It's very cool that you take the time to do that.

Eric

Logan that's no problem at all, in fact I consider it a compliment if you can't see the pin LOL. It's not so easy hiding those things!
I appreciate the review too! :) It's very cool that you take the time to do that.

Eric

I can't wait to get one of my own!

I had one of the BladeForums Canal Street pen knives from 2013 or so. I loved it. Lost it at work unfortunately.

I've been looking forward to your self branded knives and if this one from @waverave is any indication, they're well worth the wait. I can't wait to put one in my pocket. I love that they have high end stainless steel.

Eric
Eric you did an incredible job hiding them. I had to break out the flashlight to try and identify the indent. It’s so slight I can’t capture it in a photo. It’s these small things that exemplifies the quality.

The quality details that Eric put into his knives are what makes them such quick sellers:thumbsup:

I do have a question for you ea42 ea42 - is the ivory you use stabilized?

Last edited:
The quality details that Eric put into his knives are what makes them such quick sellers:thumbsup:

I do have a question for you ea42 ea42 - is the ivory you use stabilized?

The mastodon wasn't stabilized. Ivory is actually too dense to absorb any kind of resin so it would basically be a waste of time. It would just generally coat the surface. The older ivory from mastodon and mammoth is much more prone to having existing cracks and fissures due to their prolonged time in the elements which are better off being filled and stabilized with CA glue or epoxy as necessary. Some of those old cracks actually cement themselves over time with leached minerals and silica.

Eric

The mastodon wasn't stabilized. Ivory is actually too dense to absorb any kind of resin so it would basically be a waste of time. It would just generally coat the surface. The older ivory from mastodon and mammoth is much more prone to having existing cracks and fissures due to their prolonged time in the elements which are better off being filled and stabilized with CA glue or epoxy as necessary. Some of those old cracks actually cement themselves over time with leached minerals and silica.

Eric
Speaking of which, this is in my pocket today!! Thanks for the information, Eric, and thanks for the great edge!! I didn't have to touch it up at all!!:)Albers Mast 1.jpg

Back