• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Allan Blade

bladeblade said:
...and then ask why i dont get Royalties paid on the designs sense i originated them?...
Alan, not that it's germane to the main discussion here really, but, did you have literal "agreed to solidly beforehand" agreements that you would receive ongoing residual royalties for all of the things you outlined?

Maybe on one or two you may have, but broadly, did you have contract style residual royalty design agreements, or do you more just feel like you contributed and did the designs and now others are running with them and you aren't getting paid?

That stuff does happen... I had a good friend, dead now for 5 years or so now, Nicky Hopkins; he played piano with the Rolling Stones for many years (was on Exile on Main Street and 7 of their studio albums, that's him on Sypathy for the Devil etc, that's him playing keyboards on Joe Cocker "You are so Beautiful" etc, John Lennin Imagine album, his credits go on for miles, played at Woodstock, was on 4 of the Beatles albums, seriously). You'd be amazed how little he ever got that was "residual".

He was very very poor most of his life. He even contributed quite a bit in songwriting, but, it wasn't in the deal that he'd get ongoing royalties, and, he didn't. Super nice guy. Honky Tonk Woman, that's his barrelhouse piano trills and signature style on that Stones track. Died flat broke. Was he owed more than he gave, "yeah". He played on several Who albums, Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver, Bridge over Troubled Water, that's Nicky on piano. Royalties, almost none.

He made good income "sometimes", he was on the Mad Dogs and Englishman tour with Cocker (and toured extensively with the stones), a few other things that paid for some finite period of time, but residual; pennies, though his album credits went on for miles, literally for many pages.

And what he did get took the power of the musicians union to collect, or it would have been zero. I remember driving him down to get a check one day, (small check), he didn't have a car.

At any rate Alan, hard as it is, ya gotta let go the stuff where you feel you shoulda been paid better, when the work is done and in the past, if it wasn't clearly agreed to by contract.

Those who are waiting for their money or their knives, they worked hard for whatever was sent to you, that's money you "did" get, ironically.

Those are the last guys in this equation who should have to experience the squeeze, I think you'd agree. So, enough with the bitterness, there's nothing to fight back against here, these people aren't part of your equation. Fight the fight you know you've got to fight, and don't fight those who are pointing out that you've got to fight that fight with intent to win without tossing in the towel. That's the outcome that will resolve this.

Good on you for beginning that headway. Here's to you earning back your good name and reputation, that's the fight you've got, and hey, we all come back wiser, re: what could have gone better in the past.

Frank H.

If you get ripped off by one company, they are crooks.
If you get ripped off by a list of companies one after the other, you are not very smart.

Keith Montgomery said:
You have asked Gig to list the people that have not received knives from you in the last 5 years. It seems that there are a few on British Blades that have not. I know, you're just a little late and have every intention of getting these people their knives.

While Keith isn't "Giggy," he's aptly answered your question.

Thanks Keith. :D

While it's fine and dandy that you're honoring orders, let's not overlook those that you STILL OWE ! ;)

bladeblade said:
GIG thats easy,

EMAIL EMERSON knives and ask them to show you where they PAid me ROyalties for the SHoulder rig that holds the CQC6 open or closed,, i say they never paid me a dime and ripped off my design.

EMail Tactical Tools and ask them where they and who they learned to make KYDEX from and also to provide proof of ROyalties for all my designs they stole and still make,,, lets see,,,,,,, GUN HOLSTERS of KYDEX,,,, surefire 6p holder they ripped off that i originally made for Massad Ayoob... ect.ect.. also ask them why they sell a Knock off design of my PACK PAL and my spokane street scalpel?

EMail TOPS knives about there Kydex sheaths for there LArge Knives and then ask why i dont get Royalties paid on the designs sense i originated them?

Email , MAD DOG knives and have them provide proof i was Paid for working with KEVIN during development of the Seal Atak, Lived with him and never recieved a DIME in wages, funny how that works,,lol

i could go on and on but you dont relly care now do you, after all im the thief not anyone else.....lol

Allan

The burden of discovering your proof DOES NOT fall on moi.

Patents are amazing little devices that have been around, in the U.S., for over 200 years. They are rights granted to inventors, by the US government, that excludes others from making, selling, offering for sale, using, or importing an invention.

If you "designed or invented" a machine, compositions of matter, methods, etc., and FAILED to secure a patent for it, in effect - protecting yourself, then you hold the bag, so to speak.

If you have said patent, please provide your patent notice(s) (commonly referred to as a patent number).

As mentioned previously, if you have/had a legal contract with above mentioned companies/businesses that states that you are to receive a specified amount of money (i.e., lump sum, a monetary amount per percentage of sales, a monetary amount per item manufactured, etc.) for them to use your "design," then provide said documentation/contracts.

On the other hand, if you failed to secure such legal documentation, in effect - protecting yourself, once again, responsibility falls squarely on your shoulders.

lifter4Him said:
If you get ripped off by one company, they are crooks.
If you get ripped off by a list of companies one after the other, you are not very smart.

anim_rofl2.gif

lifter4Him said:

You could just be trusting and assume the best in people. In defence of Blade, in responce to some of the above about him getting ripped off, it seems obvious the responces are biased due to his past, I doubt a well liked maker would be treated the same if he reported a series of potential problems.

This isn't of course a defence of his actions in regards to non-delivery of knives, the constant failure to reimburse, nor the support of it by others, including those who promote Blades knives knowing full well his past and the fact he has outstanding debts. I added a warning to my reviews for this reason.

-Cliff

I felt I should add that in private conversation, a handful of folks have told me that they have had dealings with Alan in the last 3 years, and he was great with all of them. So it looks like if Alan can continue to pay Joe off, he will be in much smoother waters around here.

I think Alan really needs to consider raising his prices. I have heard really good things about his knives, yet he charges ridiculously low prices. He could get out of hock a lot faster charging $100-125 for a working pack knife than $45-60.

As was pointed out by a friend of mine... people are not in shortage to try and get him to pay up, but there sure are lots of folks willing to get a custom from him for dirt cheap and not say anything.

I am not defending what has gone on in the past... as I said before, I don't know the whole story.

I guess I am just hoping a guy with solid knifemaking skills can pull out into the clear.

NickWheeler said:
I guess I am just hoping a guy with solid knifemaking skills can pull out into the clear.

That pretty much sums up the way all of us should feel.

Cliff Stamp said:
. . . .in responce to some of the above about him getting ripped off, it seems obvious the responces are biased due to his past. . .

Without knowing the authors of the above responses, your OBVIOUS ASSUMPTIONS are incorrect ! :rolleyes:

Cliff Stamp said:
I doubt a well liked maker would be treated the same if he reported a series of potential problems.

What I posted in my first sentence to Allan, I would have posted to anyone who had made the same syatement that he had.

It's a moot question. There is no other knifemaker who believes every individual and company he's ever done business with ripped him off.

Cliff Stamp said:
You could just be trusting and assume the best in people. In defence of Blade, in responce to some of the above about him getting ripped off, it seems obvious the responces are biased due to his past, I doubt a well liked maker would be treated the same if he reported a series of potential problems.

This isn't of course a defence of his actions in regards to non-delivery of knives, the constant failure to reimburse, nor the support of it by others, including those who promote Blades knives knowing full well his past and the fact he has outstanding debts. I added a warning to my reviews for this reason.

-Cliff

could be but ya reap as ya sow.

really really sucks that he did joe chen like he did, me & joe have done a swap/2 and he's an honest stand up guy which is more than i can say for allan blade.

until he gets right by joe i couldnt care less that he is getting cornholed by anyone.

SIFU1A said:
could be but ya reap as ya sow.

I would not argue against that, but many of the above posts which use personal attacks actually increase Blade's ability to rip off other people. He has noted in the past he can't get a "fair shake" on Bladeforums, and thus even if people do come here to read the warnings, instead of getting facts they read a bunch of personal insults, then they talk to Blade and he gives them a story about how this place is biased against him, no matter what he does it makes no difference, etc.. All those posts do is help him, similar with any nasty emails you sent, he can easily just show them to people and this will discredit any actual information you post.

-Cliff

Cliff, while your argument is logically sound, I real life someone running across a thread concerning Allan's past that has at least some good sense will steer clear.

For those that don't have sense enough to do that, then they'll be pursuaded by their own want or greed or what Allen says despite what they've read.

I supposed that's one step away from blaming any new victims, but they've been warned for goshsakes, we can't also give them psychological hand holding because they're weak minded or make poor choices.

DaveH said:
...someone running across a thread

People rarely read full threads, this is obvious if you look at posts, most people will come right out and say in their replies that they don't read long threads. So all Blade has to to is provide a bunch of personal attacks, with direct post links, or just quote and not even link (once you link a couple you can even then make up more as the point is made), people see them and any emails, and write off any complaints. If he wants to he could even spin this into a "they are out to get me" line. I have no idea if he is doing any of this, but all the above posts do if given him the ability to do so if he chooses. On the other hand look at posts like Keiths which do simply point out facts and give information with no indication that he is out to get Blade so there is little ability to underwrite anything he says.

-Cliff

Cliff Stamp said:
So all Blade has to to is provide a bunch of personal attacks, with direct post links, or just quote and not even link (once you link a couple you can even then make up more as the point is made), people see them and any emails, and write off any complaints. If he wants to he could even spin this into a "they are out to get me" line. I have no idea if he is doing any of this, but all the above posts do if given him the ability to do so if he chooses. -Cliff
Blul siht, Cliff!
Suggesting that peole will "write-off" the complaints about a maker who is being called names while being accused of stealing from his customers is a very inaccurate statement and is absolutely contrary to human behavior, IMO.

People are naturally curious about anyone being called a thief and scumbag. They will want to know why members of a forum are saying bad things about him even if "name calling" is part of the discussion, especially someone that their about to conduct business with.

While there may be some fools out there who end up giving Blade money before delivery after reading this thread because they view name calling as "immature" and feel sorry for this "poor and victimized" knifemaker, this will not be the norm after reading this thread.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with calling a thief a thief and a scumbag a scumbag. In fact, it's the right and proper thing to do.

RWS said:
....being called names

No, not being labeled, it has to go well beyond that and it does. Note in the above the admin asked to not post about Blade because the thread would get out of hand, it would not if more people acted like Keith. You are just limiting the possible warnings and giving him ammunition to use against you.

-Cliff

The personal attacks did not happen in a vacuum. Those responses are intertwined in a discussion about the questionable dealings of a knifemaker.

Are the verbal attacks any good as stand alone posts in a thread or taken out of context? Of course not.

But in conjunction with the facts about this guy, these types of written responses are essential in order to emphasize the lack of tolerance that we collectors have over this scumbag behavior.

I'm pretty sure there are some members here that if they were the one's ripped off and if they ever met Blade in a bar somewhere, this Blade would be in deep s**t.

So, let's not underestimate the value of verbal attacks for this type of act.

When I brought this back to the top, I should have asked if anybody knows if any of the guys on British Blades have gotten their knives.

Back