Amsterdam Meet 2013 Report of Upcoming Spyderco Prototypes

Thanks for the eye candy Wouter. Excellent work, as usually. :D
Also as usually, Spyderco comes again with interesting designs, to our very satisfaction. :D

You're welcome, the redesigned sheath for the streetbowie - compared to the one used for the original collab with satin blade- is actually more interesting to me than the black blade. It's a great production sheath, much better retention and much less rattle than with the old sheath design.

You're welcome, the redesigned sheath for the streetbowie - compared to the one used for the original collab with satin blade- is actually more interesting to me than the black blade. It's a great production sheath, much better retention and much less rattle than with the old sheath design.

Speaking of the Satin one, I wish they would make both, perfect excuse for two, cause in ccertain uses, specificly when not in a military setting, where the black is more desireable, the satin can sometime be more intimidating when and if you ever have to pul it on some punk.

Mr blonde.
Is there any chance you would take some pictures of your photography set up? Specifically the light box.....if its a bunch of trouble don't bother though:)

Mr blonde.
Is there any chance you would take some pictures of your photography set up? Specifically the light box.....if its a bunch of trouble don't bother though:)

I just had it stowed away again, since at home don't use it. Basically I use three identical desklamps that can be turned and twisted in any direction. I also use cardboard panels covered with coarse white paper. On a tabletop, I lean one big panel forward resting them at the edge of the lamps. All three lamps shine directly at the white paper of the leaning panel. The light bounces of the panel downward on the knife and background of the knife (fine cloth in my case). I use two other white panels leaning them on either side of the big panel, creating something like a little tent. This traps the light and bounces the beams. You want indirect or diffuse light. In my experience you don't need strong lamps, but mutltiple light sources to create an interwoven 'chamber of reflected light'. After the photo is shot, photoshop helps to tune lightness, colors and sharpness. But don't go overboard or a knife will begin to look fake. Use photoshop effects sparingly.

There are many commercial options available that I'm sure will give a similar or better result. Mine just happened to be homemade and developed over about 8 -10 years of shooting pics of knives for the forums :)

At home I prefer to shoot knife pictures under an overcast sky, that gives the best diffuse light. I've got an attic window that's just perfect for this (so I can shoot photos while it rains outside).

Apologies if this has already been done, but what's on your wishlist from this collection of prototypes?

My wishlist is:
1) Chaparrall 3
2) Domino
3) Jot Sing Khalsa
4) Serrata
5) Equilibrium
6) Lava blue G-10 sprint

I'll definitely try out one of the ClipiTools, but I'd have to see how it carries and performs before I dive into the complete line.

First off, thank you for the description of your light box:thumbup: it will help a lot!

As far as models I want this year:
Lava sprint
Domino

I'm still on the fence about the serrata and the jot sing Khalsa....I'd like to handle them before I spend the money.

And I agree, I'm going to have to try a clipitool (probably the version with scissors)

The Karahawk was not my personal cup of tea, but judging from the comments on my video from SHOT, I realize I’m probably in the minority on this. The blade will be VG-10 and it is planned to come out later this year. I didn’t catch any other specifics from Sal or Eric’s presentation on this knife.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_karahawk.jpg

The specs we measured for the Karahawk are:

Blade Length: 6 cm / 2.36 inch
Overall Length: 16,5 cm / 6.49 inch

Well, this fills a niche in waved karambits. The Emerson is expensive, and still probably a little too big for most women or small-handed men. The Super Emerson and the "regular-sized" Fox 478/9 is pretty much for giants only. The Fox 599 is even slightly smaller than the Emerson but is only sold by one outlet in the US, which seems a bit flaky. (You have to pay up front and then wait up to six weeks for the knife and you can't cancel the order.) So many are waiting for a good small-sized karambit with the wave feature at a decent price point. My guess is that since they stepped down the steel to VG10 from S30V they may be aiming at a street price more like the Fox than the Emerson. I really like the rotated finger hole. Should work for both forward and reverse.

Acording to post #9 the bioblue carpenters are not going to be produce......http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?59120-More-CTS-20CP

According to that thread Carpenter will stop producing 204P! I hope this isn't true, but at least I already have my Southard!

I really want the Domino and I would like it to have the bearing system. With the Southard being so buttery, I am more than happy to pay a few (or a couple of few) extra dollars for this. My only concern would be added thickness, the Southard is quite beefy and the Domino is a more elegant design. Either way the caged bearing system is the bees' (spyders') knees

Also quite excited about the equilibrium

Back