Any Honk Falls Collectors?

What a Beaut’ of an old cattle number Jay :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I’d have done the exact same with or without tracking!!

You know Charlie, I was thinking of any possible patterns brought to our North by Sears today! Awesome share as well :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Great knives Charlie. Examples like those have been a tremendous help during my research. For a company like Honk Falls every little piece of information helps. It’s difficult to get one of those patterns. To be able to compare two is pretty unique. Thanks for sharing them here Charlie.

I just got a copy of the 1902 Sears Roebuck catalog (1162 pages), and, of course, went to the cutlery section first. What struck me was the paragraph that said that they own their own factory in New York, which was under the direct management of one of the largest and best cutlery makers in the country. Who could that have been? The two biggest possibilities that I can think of are Ulster and New York Knife Company. Others that may be candidates, but were not as big, would have been Walden and Cattaraugus (although Camillus was a major contractor for other brands, I think 1902 was too early for them). So who do you think it was? You will have to pardon the picture quality, with the thick catalog it is difficult to get the binding side of the page in focus because of the curvature when laid flat on the scanner.
mHYlL8F.jpg

ZMXxCMx.jpg

G6ZV8tq.jpg

The entire catalog is a treasure trove in history. And I would love to get some of the guns they have advertised, for the catalog price.
Just found this while looking through some Sears posts. Please take a look and tell me if we may have answered the question here.

Just found this while looking through some Sears posts. Please take a look and tell me if we may have answered the question here.
I wonder if Camillus was doing business with them that early. Seems pretty coincidental that Adolph Kastor bought Camillus (Sherwood) in 1901, and the catalog comes out in '02 with a whole new line of knives. Then again, the Equal Ender double rattail swell center moose (whew!) is a dead ringer for an identical Winchester model which I know is impossible since Winchester knives weren't even born yet, but perhaps that model was inherited by Winchester from either Walden or Napanoch. There's no telling that Sears was even dealing with one company for these knives as I've never heard of Sears Roebuck actually owning a cutlery company. That's just bizarre. If Sears itself produced a line like that then it should be quite well known unless they were silent partners with someone, much as E.C. Simmons and Walden were initially.
The last two knives on the second page were supposedly brand new patterns, kind of like a modified trapper. Does anyone recall seeing a pattern like that produced by another company? It looks vaguely familiar to me but I can't recall. Also, the knife in the right column on the second page, the barehead jack, is a dead ringer for a similar NYK knife. Yet more mystery.

Eric

An interesting detail I’ve noted from the factory statement is the steel used for the Sears Roebuck & Co. knives was from S.C. Wardlow’s best English steel for blades and springs.
I wonder how many other companies would have also been using this supplier at the same time.

Wilbert became a house brand for Sears in 1908 Napanoch incorporated right after that in 1909. Those saddle horns Charlie showed are undoubtedly Napanoch. The add I posted earlier showing Case advertising a factory in Little Valley and Napanoch is circa 1902/03. It seems like all strong evidence that Sears was using the Nap factory with Case “managing” it in the early day of Sears. None of the other factories would let Sears call it their own with them managing it. As for the other patterns, everyone was making something for everyone else those days.

Back