Any news on the Spydiechef's availability?

What i meant to ask if Spydiechef got another CQI. Previous CQI changed the metal detend ball to ceramic one. But there other problems with Spydiechef like lock stick and late lockup.
It's obvious that all new Spydiechef's will be CQI versions, it's not old batch from 2018 wich all sellers will get (Knifejoy not the only ones), so no need to specify that it's CQI.
Recently Kapara got CQI, so i assumed maybe Spydiechef got CQI verion 2.0

Just an FYI thing: placed a preorder with KJ per a heads-up post on page 2 of this thread, noticed that my CC got charged the full amount earlier on this AM and then just now received a shipping notification. 'Tis all for now.

Better cop quick then brother!
lmao 24hrs later they're sold out!! (currently: 7pcs in stock)

EDIT: looks like they got another restock of 100pcs, so it's 107pcs now 2019-09-25 and maybe i should stop observing

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the CQI is this time around? Just the black hardware, or something else?

I'm interested to hear why the black hardware change also. Someone mentioned it was already titanium hardware before, so already corrosion resistant. Regardless, I like the looks.

DLT's photo shows what appears to be a late lockup on this one still (looks a little past 50% on zoom). Oh well, I've wanted to try this one for a while so I'm in.

spyderco-spydiechef-c211tip-925__45769.1569343339.jpg

spyderco-spydiechef-c211tip-927__20549.1569343322.jpg

Just got out of work and snagged one from DLT. Surprised they're still around. Gonna have to decide which to keep from the Chef or the Kapara. Now all I need is a good Para 3 LW sprint run and I'll be set with Spyderco for a while.

I'm interested to hear why the black hardware change also. Someone mentioned it was already titanium hardware before, so already corrosion resistant. Regardless, I like the looks.

DLT's photo shows what appears to be a late lockup on this one still (looks a little past 50% on zoom). Oh well, I've wanted to try this one for a while so I'm in.

spyderco-spydiechef-c211tip-925__45769.1569343339.jpg

spyderco-spydiechef-c211tip-927__20549.1569343322.jpg
I’m not sure what the coating is (maybe black oxide? I have no clue), but I’m guessing it’s for the purpose of inhibiting corrosion. Contrary to prevailing thought, the hardware on the chef is not Ti, but some type of ‘stainless’ steel. I say this because a very credible (and known to the forums) friend had all his hardware rust, and I’ve experienced minor corrosion on some of my hardware after forgetting to rinse it off after a day on the boat. Folks do make/sell aftermarket Ti hardware for it though. Why spyderco doesn’t use Ti or LC200N for the fasteners is beyond me, but maybe it’s a cost thing. Much cheaper to just coat the ones you’ve already got than manufacture all new ones in more expensive materials. We deserve a 100% rust proof chef IMO. That’s just one dummy’s $0.02 brother. That being said, I can’t stop buying (& carrying), then eventually selling these things. This’ll be my 5th damn chef, and can’t promise it’ll be my last either ;) Hope they’ve somehow managed to cure the lock stick issues, and managed to adjust the lock for an earlier lockup

Reactions: mb>
I’m not sure what the coating is (maybe black oxide? I have no clue), but I’m guessing it’s for the purpose of inhibiting corrosion. Contrary to prevailing thought, the hardware on the chef is not Ti, but some type of ‘stainless’ steel. I say this because a very credible (and known to the forums) friend had all his hardware rust, and I’ve experienced minor corrosion on some of my hardware after forgetting to rinse it off after a day on the boat. Folks do make/sell aftermarket Ti hardware for it though. Why spyderco doesn’t use Ti or LC200N for the fasteners is beyond me, but maybe it’s a cost thing. Much cheaper to just coat the ones you’ve already got than manufacture all new ones in more expensive materials. We deserve a 100% rust proof chef IMO. That’s just one dummy’s $0.02 brother. That being said, I can’t stop buying (& carrying), then eventually selling these things. This’ll be my 5th damn chef, and can’t promise it’ll be my last either ;) Hope they’ve somehow managed to cure the lock stick issues, and managed to adjust the lock for an earlier lockup

Thanks Seth. I really haven't followed these too closely. Interesting about the hardware. I'm not a fan of coatings in general because they tend to wear off. I'm ok with it as far as looks, but I see some folks posting about hating it. Not a deal breaker for me though, because like you said, easy thing to swap out if you want to. The lockup has been my main hesitation in not pulling the trigger earlier. But the Chef's lockup on a bad day looks much better than the K2 ever did! ;)

Last edited:
What's the benefit of an earlier lockup?
Spydiechefs do not have a steel lock bar insert. The lock interface is Ti to LC200N, which will become later over the course of use, shortening the overall service life of the knife. Every chef I’ve ever had came with some degree of lock stick as well, which would be nice to see remedied. All that being said, I love the chef!

Reactions: mb>
Back