April 2021 BOTM - 104 Compadre with 3V steel

That took about 12 hours to sell out. I'm befuddled as to why they lasted so long. Maybe because it's the first time Buck has used 3V so their regular demographic is a bit unfamiliar with it?

I sure hope this leads to Buck making the 108 Froe in 3V. I would be ALL OVER that.

Last edited:
That took about 12 hours to sell out. I'm befuddled as to why they lasted so long. Maybe because it's the first time Buck as used 3V so their regular demographic is a bit unfamiliar with it?

I sure hope this leads to Buck making the 108 Froe in 3V. I would be ALL OVER that.

So glad I got mine. Sorry for those that didn't have a chance to get one. I guess even 500 isn't enough for the Buck fans :)

As Fixall mentioned, I think maybe the very low price (for 3V steel), the full flat grind, and the rarity of use, by Buck, of premium 3V steel was not recognized by a lot of people as the great deal it was. Even though, the 104 still sold out in 1 day.

As for the future - I'd love to see a 124 in 3V (or any fixed blade), of course at a decent price point. Buck doing 3V ! - what is next ? M390 folder ? Elmax fixed blade ?

Till next month !

Last edited:
So glad I got mine. Sorry for those that didn't have a chance to get one. I guess even 500 isn't enough for the Buck fans :)

As Fixall mentioned, I think maybe the very low price (for 3V steel), the full flat grind, and the rarity of use, by Buck, of premium 3V steel was not recognized by a lot of people as the great deal it was. Even though, the 104 still sold out in 1 day.

As for the future - I'd love to see a 124 in 3V (or any fixed blade), of course at a decent price point. Buck doing 3V ! - what is next ? M390 Folder ? Elmax Fix blade ?

Till next month !

MagnaCut. Please let the next steel be MagnaCut!

That took about 12 hours to sell out. I'm befuddled as to why they lasted so long. Maybe because it's the first time Buck as used 3V so their regular demographic is a bit unfamiliar with it?

That was the case for me... When the email came out, I decided to pass because I have the SKBlades 104 and the October 2020 104 BOTM.

Thank goodness that I checked this thread, and saw the comments in time to order one...even though my poor credit card is already on life support due to the other knife purchases I've made this month.

Last edited:
There is a new listing on the bay - with a Best Offer. Good Luck !

Thanks for the heads up. :)

I put in an offer for 40% over retail. Any more than that, and they can get bent.

*edit
They countered with $190 and declined anything lower. I just can't bring myself to do it because of the principal of it, lol. 50%+ over retail less than a month after it was released just seems greedy and poor spirited.

Alright time to eat some crow like @Vaporstang, lol. The wifey pulled rank and told me I'd be kicking myself for years if I didn't pick it up to hand down to our son, so I snagged it. It'll be cool to give my boy a limited edition knife that was released the month he was born. :D

Last edited:

I put in an offer for 40% over retail. Any more than that, and they can get bent.

*edit
They countered with $190 and declined anything lower. I just can't bring myself to do it because of the principal of it, lol. 50%+ over retail less than a month after it was released just seems greedy and poor spirited.

Alright time to eat some crow like @Vaporstang, lol. The wifey pulled rank and told me I'd be kicking myself for years if I didn't pick it up to hand down to our son, so I snagged it. It'll be cool to give my boy a limited edition knife that was released the month he was born. :D

And when you do finally give it to him, that feeling will far outweigh and overcome the temporary price sting.. you did right!!

And when you do finally give it to him, that feeling will far outweigh and overcome the temporary price sting.. you did right!!

Thanks! I think you're 100% right. In this case, what's an extra $60 - $70 in the long run when the piece will have so much meaning. Now I just gotta keep it safe until he's old enough to appreciate what it is, lol. :eek:

*edit

very cool. I have silver coin sets my grandfather got for me my birth year. still have them and he's long gone. I didn't buy my boy anything like this should have, but he was born in 2008 in the middle of a constr collapse and massive income loss that I lived through and struggled to survive. guess I could go back and hunt for older stuff, but it wouldn't be the same as bought when he was born. BTW congrats on your family...wonderful times ahead for y'all. I miss the younger age now that my boy is older......would do anything to have spent more time playing catch with him when he wanted to......never neglect the quality time....it rolls by fast......be smarter than me.

very cool. I have silver coin sets my grandfather got for me my birth year. still have them and he's long gone. I didn't buy my boy anything like this should have, but he was born in 2008 in the middle of a constr collapse and massive income loss that I lived through and struggled to survive. guess I could go back and hunt for older stuff, but it wouldn't be the same as bought when he was born. BTW congrats on your family...wonderful times ahead for y'all. I miss the younger age now that my boy is older......would do anything to have spent more time playing catch with him when he wanted to......never neglect the quality time....it rolls by fast......be smarter than me.

Thanks JB, I appreciate that. :)

I'm super excited for what is ahead. I can't believe it's already been three weeks since he arrived. I'm lucky enough to live in Washington state so I have a full three months of bonding leave to enjoy with my boy (not to mention the month off my work gave me to take care of my wife when she was hospitalized with pregnancy complications). So stoked!!

My grandfather carried a 110 until the day he died. I sure would love to have that knife (had he not be buried with it, lol). That's actually a big part of what got me started here on the forums. I was on the hunt for the perfect 110 as tribute. That's awesome that you have some silver coins from your grandfather! Cherish that memory. :D It's interesting how much those things begin to mean to us once the years start catching up. I really wish I would have taken better care of some of the gifts I received when I was younger.

Man... 2008 was rough for a LOT of people. You got your son through the worst recession in 60 years. Can't ask for much more than that. :) I know it's not quite the same, but there is a 2008 Buck 110 up on the bay right now that has some of the most gorgeous Dymondwood I've seen on a 110. Hell, I'd even kick in some cash for it to take some of the sting away from buying an $80 Buck 110, lol.

Back