1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Are your pigs flying, Cold Steel is making a knife out of state of the art materials

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Vicarious Reality, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Czechmate

Czechmate

Feb 24, 2011

Ah, gotcha. I do think they've succeeded in making it look like something that was sourced from Warcraft though... ;):D

I'm sure it'll be a fine knife, provided the sheath is decent. :thumbup: If it is like their 2012 offerings it'll be a while before they're readily available as well as the rest of the 2013 lineup.

2. Ankerson

Ankerson Knife and Computer Geek Platinum Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002

It was only a matter of time before that started to happen. :)

3. SamuraiDave

SamuraiDave

Apr 6, 2001
    Now if they could only use a decent heat treatment on some 1095 and make one of their Bushman knives from it.
    The first generation that was the Carbon V was awesome.

I have an older SRK that I rehandled that is Carbon V, and an old Twistmaster (think Opniel knockoff) and both have incredible steels.

The design seems lacking. But perhaps they will offer a decent heat treatment on it.

4. Picksmith

Picksmith

Sep 4, 2009
    The steel isn't the only difference, the grind is different from the other tantos as well. After all this time, the design must have impressed LCT for him to deviate from the standard format he uses for a CS tanto. I like that the exposed tang is taper ground rather than skeletonized for balance.

5. KevinOubre

KevinOubre

Sep 6, 2011
    I would giev it a shot is it was a different design, like a new bowie or something. I personally have no use for a tanto, especially one that large. However, cudos to them for finally using a high grade steel.

6. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    They have my curiosity, but if they start using PM steels in their folders they will have my attention.

7. deth1313

deth1313

Nov 10, 2010
    I saw this over the weekend. Very excited about it, I LOVE 3 V!

8. BluegrassGuy

BluegrassGuy

Dec 13, 2011
    For the same price I could get a Scrap yard 911 and have 2 more inches of .25'' thick blade with better design and a more comfortable handle or a 711 for less money, no sheath ofcourse but that means I get to have one made exactly the way I want. I think I'll pass on this one.

9. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    And get a heck of a warranty to boot. But to be fair, you wouldn't get 3V for that price. Now settling for SR-101 is one of those dilemmas I'd frickin' love to have more of, but it's definitely a less expensive steel than 3V.

10. brandonc

brandonc

Mar 16, 2008
    G10 and 3V sounds good to me, especially if their is a whole Warcraft series. For the record, I own ZT and CS and if I ever decide to upgrade from my GI tanto, I will defiantly be looking back at this.

11. egally08

egally08

Oct 19, 2012
    You are right about the steel quality alone, 3V is better then SR-101, but you also have to remember the heat treatment. Honestly I think scrap yard's heat treated SR-101 would be far superior then cold steels subcontractors 3V.

I have nothing against cold steel, and I am glad they are using higher quality materials. I hope it sells very well so they will continue using it, and hopefully down the road on some folders.

12. gomipile

gomipile

Apr 17, 2010
    Can anyone say 3V XL Recon 1?

13. EagleScouter

EagleScouter

Jun 18, 2011
    Interesting. Not a tanto fan but I remain optimistic for new designs. We'll see what the future holds...

14. Slicey

Slicey

Sep 23, 2012
    I can't wait to see the demo video for this!

15. whetrock

whetrock

Nov 13, 2010
    In my opinion (as others have stated) the profile is a bit of a turnoff if you're not fond of tantos. Even at that 3V is good stuff, and hopefully they'll expand on it a bit and offer the Natchez or the slightly more affordable Trail Master in this steel. Heck, they could cause a ton of turmoil if they introduced folders that sported both 3V and their coveted Andrew Demko triad-locks.

16. Halfneck

Halfneck Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 30, 2005
    I've ran the gamut on how I feel about Cold Steel. Loved them as a kid in the 80s. Got pissed off at them due to poor customer service in the late 90s/early 2000s. Then just settled into indifference. Cold Steel's lower price stuff is still decent for the money. The upper end stuff costs as much as some customs with better materials. If Cold Steel were to offer their Lawman & Recon folders with a better steel they'd sell very well.

17. untamed

untamed

Jan 7, 2003
    My thoughts exactly! I wonder what's the TEST for this is going to be.

18. MR.GRIMM

MR.GRIMM

Jul 3, 2010
    It will probably be produced in Taiwan just like the Spyderco Tuff that is in 3V.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  19. hardheart

hardheart

Sep 19, 2001
    I cannot imagine how. Fully bainitic 52100 will still not be as tough as martensitic 3V with a really average heat treat with proper temp control, and at no hardness will it be as wear resistant. It really doesn't matter who makes the knife or how useless the blade profile is, this is a difference in alloy and not brand. There would need to be too much heat, too long a soak, or too fast a quench, or some really bush league error that a mass manufacturer contracted to makes knives is really likely not prone to.

I have absolutely no use for this knife and will not be getting it, but I cannot find any reasonable way to criticize the steel because of the knife company involved. Crucible makes CPM-3V, Cold Steel has absolutely no influence on that fact. If you like S30V, S90V, CPM-M4, CPM154, etc. then you should not have an issue with the steel choice.

20. Omega Leather Works

Omega Leather Works

Jun 13, 2007
    Eh maybe if I got into bladesports competition (I really want in on bladesports competition) I would look over this choppers stats. Outside of that it looks rather pointless (get it?) to me.