Are your pigs flying, Cold Steel is making a knife out of state of the art materials

With the tanto tip and the ad-copy describing "snap cuts" and penetration, it seems like a fighting knife to me :D I'm not a fan of that handle shape for that purpose.

Ah, gotcha. I do think they've succeeded in making it look like something that was sourced from Warcraft though... ;):D

I'm sure it'll be a fine knife, provided the sheath is decent. :thumbup: If it is like their 2012 offerings it'll be a while before they're readily available as well as the rest of the 2013 lineup.

Not for me but glad to see they're going in the right direction. As for where its made, I'm sure we all have at least one knife in our homes that is not made in the U.S. At least the steel's from Crucible. Oh yeah, and God forbid that CS is encroaching on the premium mass produced knife market. :rolleyes:

It was only a matter of time before that started to happen. :)

Now if they could only use a decent heat treatment on some 1095 and make one of their Bushman knives from it.
The first generation that was the Carbon V was awesome.

I have an older SRK that I rehandled that is Carbon V, and an old Twistmaster (think Opniel knockoff) and both have incredible steels.

The design seems lacking. But perhaps they will offer a decent heat treatment on it.

The steel isn't the only difference, the grind is different from the other tantos as well. After all this time, the design must have impressed LCT for him to deviate from the standard format he uses for a CS tanto. I like that the exposed tang is taper ground rather than skeletonized for balance.

I would giev it a shot is it was a different design, like a new bowie or something. I personally have no use for a tanto, especially one that large. However, cudos to them for finally using a high grade steel.

They have my curiosity, but if they start using PM steels in their folders they will have my attention.

For the same price I could get a Scrap yard 911 and have 2 more inches of .25'' thick blade with better design and a more comfortable handle or a 711 for less money, no sheath ofcourse but that means I get to have one made exactly the way I want. I think I'll pass on this one.

For the same price I could get a Scrap yard 911 and have 2 more inches of .25'' thick blade with better design and a more comfortable handle or a 711 for less money, no sheath ofcourse but that means I get to have one made exactly the way I want. I think I'll pass on this one.

And get a heck of a warranty to boot. But to be fair, you wouldn't get 3V for that price. Now settling for SR-101 is one of those dilemmas I'd frickin' love to have more of, but it's definitely a less expensive steel than 3V.

G10 and 3V sounds good to me, especially if their is a whole Warcraft series. For the record, I own ZT and CS and if I ever decide to upgrade from my GI tanto, I will defiantly be looking back at this.

And get a heck of a warranty to boot. But to be fair, you wouldn't get 3V for that price. Now settling for SR-101 is one of those dilemmas I'd frickin' love to have more of, but it's definitely a less expensive steel than 3V.

You are right about the steel quality alone, 3V is better then SR-101, but you also have to remember the heat treatment. Honestly I think scrap yard's heat treated SR-101 would be far superior then cold steels subcontractors 3V.

I have nothing against cold steel, and I am glad they are using higher quality materials. I hope it sells very well so they will continue using it, and hopefully down the road on some folders.

Interesting. Not a tanto fan but I remain optimistic for new designs. We'll see what the future holds...

In my opinion (as others have stated) the profile is a bit of a turnoff if you're not fond of tantos. Even at that 3V is good stuff, and hopefully they'll expand on it a bit and offer the Natchez or the slightly more affordable Trail Master in this steel. Heck, they could cause a ton of turmoil if they introduced folders that sported both 3V and their coveted Andrew Demko triad-locks.

I've ran the gamut on how I feel about Cold Steel. Loved them as a kid in the 80s. Got pissed off at them due to poor customer service in the late 90s/early 2000s. Then just settled into indifference. Cold Steel's lower price stuff is still decent for the money. The upper end stuff costs as much as some customs with better materials. If Cold Steel were to offer their Lawman & Recon folders with a better steel they'd sell very well.

It will probably be produced in Taiwan just like the Spyderco Tuff that is in 3V.

Last edited:
Honestly I think scrap yard's heat treated SR-101 would be far superior then cold steels subcontractors 3V.
I cannot imagine how. Fully bainitic 52100 will still not be as tough as martensitic 3V with a really average heat treat with proper temp control, and at no hardness will it be as wear resistant. It really doesn't matter who makes the knife or how useless the blade profile is, this is a difference in alloy and not brand. There would need to be too much heat, too long a soak, or too fast a quench, or some really bush league error that a mass manufacturer contracted to makes knives is really likely not prone to.

I have absolutely no use for this knife and will not be getting it, but I cannot find any reasonable way to criticize the steel because of the knife company involved. Crucible makes CPM-3V, Cold Steel has absolutely no influence on that fact. If you like S30V, S90V, CPM-M4, CPM154, etc. then you should not have an issue with the steel choice.

Eh maybe if I got into bladesports competition (I really want in on bladesports competition) I would look over this choppers stats. Outside of that it looks rather pointless (get it?) to me.

Back