Attn. All Smatchetorians! . . . Wanna Help Design The Busse Combat Smatchet?. . . Start Drinkin'!!!

What about one edge being Serrated or teeth like a battle saw? I am liking what I see so far. What about balanced for throwing?

This is hollow ground perfection in my humble opinion, and the tip is very similar to Garth's recent FMV set:

Smatchet%20%238%20Mod%20Fuller-XL.jpg

#18 has more pure Busse look with traditional smatchet.

#24 with @18 handle would be la bombe suprise

best

mqqn

Love the coffin handles, I like the symmetrical choil for additional grip option and sharpening.

10-12" leaf blade (wrist to elbow in reverse grip), sharpened on one side, so the other side and be used for blunt force smashing and bashing through the trough. We do need a penetrator tip or at least a swedge for getting into the feed bag. Fuller (triple fuller --> short-long-short) and/or CBT to lighten blade for swine swiftness.
I like this idea! Longer and lighter, sharp one side with swedge on the other, penetrator tip!

I wonder about the leaf shape... Rather than a traditional more symmetrical leaf, can we have a more top-heavy leaf? Having the weight forward can give the heavy weight chop performance, but reduce the weight for carry.

Think a little straight edge on the bottom quarter or third of the sharpened blade, but tapered out, then curve in with the leaf; think shrinking then mirroring the bolo machete shape; or a leaf shape (upper 3/4 to 2/3) mated to an upside down slim trapezoid (narrow side towards guard and handle).
I think stick with traditional leaf....it would keep it more versatile, like the original. Too much chopper would take away from other missions.

I think number one with the cbt just lengthen the blade to between 9 an 10 inchs although 8 really hits the sweet spot for me i think the larger blade length would be more popular and more in line with the original designs. .25 thick at the spine, the lighter ones (Boker) are just too light to really chop that well, takes more energy to chop than a bit heavier blade does.
I would not cheat it too much toward chopper. Keep it versatile, like the original smatchet.

I like option 2, no CBT for me. With regards to the primary bevel, I agree with what Cobalt said. Go hollow on a thicker blade, but if it’s thinner go flat or convex. I REALLY like the idea of a full convex to a zero edge on this model, it just seems right to me. It might also allow for a thinner stock option, maybe it could be offered in two thicknesses like a couple of models from round 1.
This suggestion rocks!

After further consideration, #5 is more like a somewhat pudgy FMV-11. If it's going to be a true Smatchet, a little pudgy isn't enough. It needs to be a true lardo. So #6 and up. And maybe the extra ricasso isn't really so bad.
I agree here, but....

....don't throw away the "pudgy FMV-11" pics!

Everybody really seems to love #17! It has actually grown on me quite a bit. I still think something is missing though. Maybe some cbt/lines like #10? Maybe small fuller? What are your thoughts gentlemen?

Also I think it would look better without the swedge...
It looks to be useful; but it's less of a Smatchet and more of a Forrester.

I think the single direction handle and blade profile is overly restrictive to range of use.

Here's a new one that incorporates a number of suggestions.

Choils and a nice palm swell for comfort when chopping.

Enhanced fuller.

Devastating pommel with a small flat for pounding.

smatchet%2019-X2.jpg
That's damn near perfect, Jerry! 10-11 inch blade?

Haven't chimed in here in a while... Yeah I'm a fan of 11" blade and 3/16" thick. More akin to the later-developed Fair-Sword than the original smatchet that it was based on, but I think it's gonna be more useful - hence Fairbairn's redesign and improvement from the smatchet to the Fair-Sword. Lighter and more agile, easier too carry, let the geometry do the work.

If we can have a symmetrical coffin handle, sharpened one side, and swedged on the other, then we can chop and cut on one side and hack/smash/bash on the non-sharpened side. Put a penetrator tip on there for good bacon-piercing measure!

Back