• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

BAD- Received Rocks vice Rockstead

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very doubtful luh sent a package of rocks. I have dealt with him before and followed sales of his and he seems a stand up guy. That said unless the OP is shown to be a scammer he will likely get stuck with this. Shipping remains a vulnerable spot in our transactions.

Helpful hint for future mailers-tape the knife securely to the bottom of the box. The box will need to be torn up to remove it.

Last edited:
The thing that is stuck in my head, since someone mentioned it earlier, is that when he shook the box in the video, he suspected something was wrong.

I'm struggling with believing he didn't shake that box at home.

I feel sorry for whichever party is being wrongly accused of being a scammer.

Spidey-sense tells me that the unboxing was BS. Without knowing how the item was packed (newspaper, brown paper, peanuts, or ten other possibilities, etc., etc.), there's no way to know what sound would seem "wrong" when shaking the package. It certainly wouldn't sound so obviously off as to raise suspicion. Also, that box had clearly been opened before (whether by OP, USPS, or Seller...?). Not making an accusation, just saying...

It's hard to plan for every eventuallity, but one thing that can mitigate this kind of situation is using a different type tape (not the ubiquitous clear tape): e.g., use a tape that has writing/lettering/watermark on it; or paper tape with embedded threads-- anything that would be impossible (or nearly impossible) to cover-up or replicate during foul play.

Tape every edge and corner with this type of tape.

While there are a couple/few things that bug me, regarding this situation, what really bugs me is that the seller's keeping the insurance money, and the buyer's money, as well. That, I think, is dirty!

The video, the OP posted, seems fake AF! I've thought about making packing videos, and or, unboxing videos, but I decided against it. Reasoning: "Nobody knows what happens before, or after, you make the video, or if it's authentic." I think it comes down to a matter of trust, gut feelings, reputation, and so on. I'm not too sure that video would buttress the trust, of the community, but maybe I'm wrong?

While there are a couple/few things that bug me, regarding this situation, what really bugs me is that the seller's keeping the insurance money, and the buyer's money, as well. That, I think, is dirty!
That's assuming the seller files for, and receives an insurance payout. Thats not a given from my point of view, as the USPS shows it as being delivered and it was unattended for a couple days after delivery. If the buyer is the scammer, or the knife disappeared after delivery, how is that on USPS or the seller?

The whole thing is strange, my wife would have said something if I got a package that sounded like a box of rocks...and I sure as hell would have noticed when I first picked it up.

tape.jpg lu-name.jpg @luh1202 - did you reuse the box? did you write the two LU LU on the box before taping it?

There is a sign of the tape being taken off. See the picture.

^For some reason, I thought he got the money, from USPS, as well. It's important that the seller doesn't net $1,700.00 from this sale, IMO.

^For some reason, I thought he got the money, from USPS, as well. It's important that the seller doesn't net $1,700.00 from this sale, IMO.
I'd say it's equally important that the buyer doesn't net a knife and $850.

The rocks probably came from either Cordova, TN or Camp Pendleton, CA. In other words, we don't really know.

That's assuming the seller files for, and receives an insurance payout. Thats not a given from my point of view, as the USPS shows it as being delivered and it was unattended for a couple days after delivery. If the buyer is the scammer, or the knife disappeared after delivery, how is that on USPS or the seller?

I'm not saying that the seller, or USPS, would be responsible, as it would be mail fraud, theft, or whatever, if the buyer staged this whole thing.

To me, it doesn't make sense to send somebody something they didn't bargain for, as PayPal's so buyer-centric, you're bound to lose, anyway. It amazes me that the seller got PayPal to side with him.

It seems like this is a prank, the more I think about it. But, one of the mods pointed out that he was contacted...

He(luh) is very likely going to get nothing and be out a knife. Outside chance PP will cover him, under seller protection. Even more remote that USPS pays on the insurance, since it is delivered and signed for.

Last edited:
Here is my concern.

The knife was worth about 850.

Seller has 850 from buyer.

Seller also has 800 insurance.

It makes no sense for seller to keep the 800 insurance payout (assuming usps pays) and buyers original 850.

The way I understand it is, you automatically get $50.00 coverage, when you use Priority Mail, so that should net him $850.00, if he makes a claim, and they honor it. Maybe I'm wrong...

I think USPS will pay insurance if buyer cooperates and provides affidavit of theft.

USPS does not get a free ride if a postal worker opens a package and removes items.

Obviously, if buyer or seller files fraudulent statement re theft with USPS it is probably a federal felony and 10 years prison maximum sentence, so that is a disincentive for either party to make a false statement to USPS. Postal inspectors are not to be trifled with.

Is it possible some rock collector is thinking “why did I get this knife, and where the h?!! are my rare rocks?”

One hurdle for the buyer IMO, is that the package sat in his house for nearly a day and a half, before he got home. Other than his wife and at least one child (son), who else was in/out of his house while he was gone? Any son's friends over? etc.

The way I understand it is, you automatically get $50.00 coverage, when you use Priority Mail, so that should net him $850.00, if he makes a claim, and they honor it. Maybe I'm wrong...
Yes Priority flat rate boxes are insured for at least $50 but you can add more to it and insure for another amount and I am under the impression that @luh1202 insured it for a total of $800 so if he makes a claim and it is decided to payout he would get $800 from USPS. If you add in the $850(less PP fees and shipping cost) he nets between $1600-$1650 and I think people have said if he nets $1600+ he should payout $800 to the buyer as he is made whole and so is the buyer but the seller would want this to go through a PP dispute which makes some sense.

I am just watching this whole thing as neither party has any indicators to make one more reputable than the other and there has been no clear evidence against either party to sway the mob following this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back