Beckerhead Knife Making and Modification Thread

And she's complete:

IMG_20200210_214705-small.jpg

IMG_20200210_220204-small.jpg

daizee daizee Yeah, that turned out real well!

Some of you guys here are inspiring me to take some baby steps.... haha

Thanks, guys, glad you're enjoying the puppet show.

Finished the second temper on the SpringHart this morning and put an edge on 'er in the shop just now. Holy COW, this steel takes a great edge! :eek:
Left the tang a little thick, as it's an experiment. Got a nice heft and fills the hand a smidge more. Solid piece!

Not a knife, but I did a thing...

Kydex quick draw shoulder harness for my hatchet I have been modifying.

hpWQbQB.jpg

Here is the hatchet

vGOWAMD.jpg

k3EZ4ao.jpg

And here is what it originally looked like.

p3LtXDl.jpg

(Not really a quick draw, just baldric carry. Works for that though.) I have a strap with button for making sure it is secure, just haven't put it on yet.

Started life as a craftsman 48101 1.25 lbs axe, but was hafted pretty crooked and had some chunks missing out of the end due to the poor piece of hickory they used. Replaced the handle, then burned it and oiled it. Also removed a good bit of material from the head to make it more shapely.

my other Saturday night project:
Osage orange scales, copper pins, blade hammered out of a grain auger from a local brewery.
flat saber primary grind with micro bevel, top half convexed towards the spine, distal taper to zero at the tip.
anvil marks left on purpose -- thinking about doing a vinegar soak.
grain auger sm game knife.jpg

AEB-L AuK5 got some custom scales in Azobe, since I drilled the tang holes sliiightly out of alignment so the factory scales sat kinda funny:

IMG_20200214_074245-small.jpg

IMG_20200214_074357-small.jpg

IMG_20200214_074418-small.jpg

daizee daizee Really Pretty! LOVE that grain too!
IDK if you ever seen my mods on the 62, but I found some Wonderful brass hardware from LeeValley that would look Gorgeous on your blades....I posted pictures and part numbers, but so far Mine is the only one to use them.... idk why?

They unfortunately aren't "drop in ready" I had to open up the counter-bore's .... but with Your skillset that would be easy for you!

They are by Far the best looking hardware for the 62 I've seen to date. Nice, warm buttery brass......Let me know if you wanna see some pics..... I know some are buried here in the Many 62 threads....hahah

A good brass would be nice, but they don't usually come in the "right" fastener types for my taste. Did you find brass button head screws with a symmetrical drive type?

Spent a little over an hour on the grinder with these two today.

Tried to bring the 10’s lines a little more closer to the pilot survival knife by remove the hump and reshaping the swedge...
ZE3S5Zw.jpg

Also, as many others have done, I reshaped the Swabbie to look less absurd and into a practical user...
mNM2S1L.jpg

They aren’t perfect, but I’m happy with them. :)

+1
really super nice in shape and finish.
love how the forge marks and the pattern in the oak compliment eachother..

So Saturday night, Hans gave me about 9" of a piece of suspension coil spring from a Volvo X70 that came out of the shop. We'd burned the paint off in the woodstove the week before. Last night I buzzed off 4" of the segment and immediately began what I'm affectionately calling a "Swedish Toothpick":

First pic is actually the remaining piece of the spring, a bit longer than what went into the forge:
IMG_20200308_204033-small.jpg

IMG_20200308_194550-small.jpg

IMG_20200308_200329-small.jpg

IMG_20200308_203852-small.jpg

IMG_20200308_210024-small.jpg

IMG_20200308_225144-small.jpg

IMG_20200309_180157-small.jpg

Now for handle options... any votes?

IMG_20200309_181340-small.jpg

IMG_20200309_181434_2-small.jpg

Back