Off Topic Best COVID-19 zombie knife

Lighten up Francis.

Its a strange, new, and scary world. Just remember, death is still the number one killer in the world today. There are many more things that people die from annually in the US and world-wide beside Covid-19, just google leading causes of death.

This is a frightening time but we need distractions and humor.

Medical and other first responders (and many others in critical , high stress occupations) often use "gallows humor" to help them cope and continue to function .

It's a necessary release of extreme anxiety . A pressure release valve . A way to keep going when you'd rather just curl up in a ball and die .
And that applies here how exactly?

Medical and other first responders (and many others in critical , high stress occupations) often use "gallows humor" to help them cope and continue to function .

It's a necessary release of extreme anxiety . A pressure release valve . A way to keep going when you'd rather just curl up in a ball and die .

But , yeah ...it can get pretty raw and offensive , if you misunderstand the purpose .

This pandemic is bad and likely to get worse . But an inappropriate social and economic panic response will only exacerbate the damage .

Humor can help . Let's not forget it's value . :)

I was a cop and a ground pounder. I get dark humor.

You don't and I resent you're invocation of it here. You obviously have zero first hand experience of how that all works.

If you live in a place where this is very real and thousands are being affected, there is nothing inappropriate about the responses.

I tell ya what there Doc, how about you go on over to the W&C and enlighten us with all your first hand trauma stories and how "gallows humor" helped you cope.

This thread is sad.

And that applies here how exactly?
:confused: This is about clowning , not cloning . Not sure you can understand it . :rolleyes:

People in a state of fear , uncertainty and helplessness sometimes try to relieve that with gallows humor which is often offensive to others but may serve its purpose .

Vulcans (and some always logical or just grim humans) don't get it at all . o_O

Great advise for yourself .

I'm not really defending the thread per se , only the impulse to cope with disaster with humor .

You have no idea about me . None .

You're wrong. I have a lot of ideas about you. They are based on what you say. That's all I have to go on. That's your job not mine.

If my ideas about you are misguided, then it is up to you to either change them or not care.

But, I recognize I'm crossing the line now and will leave this thread.

I was a cop and a ground pounder. I get dark humor.

You don't and I resent you're invocation of it here. You obviously have zero first hand experience of how that all works.

If you live in a place where this is very real and thousands are being affected, there is nothing inappropriate about the responses.

I tell ya what there Doc, how about you go on over to the W&C and enlighten us with all your first hand trauma stories and how "gallows humor" helped you cope.

This thread is sad.
Should have sent a poet.

I just finished a busy, and understaffed shift in Detox. I thought I would read, and maybe even participate in what I thought was a lighthearted thread. But no. Instead I find my fellow forum members are mostly insulting each other.
People do relieve stress in different ways. I have 80+ parents, and a 8 month pregnant, daughter in law. We are all worried.
My work headache is coming back.

The zombie fantasy is a total stupidity and it just proved its ability to pollute information about real world problems.

Zombies have nothing to do with Covid-19, and a dumb thread or two doesn't make an entire genre of fiction "total stupidity."

The best Covid-19 knife would be something you can whittle with, because it can get boring sitting inside with not much to do. You have to keep your mind occupied/distracted with something positive, and whittling something can be a good way to do so. :thumbsup:

But once again, it has nothing to do with zombies, which are fictional.
Unlike Covid-19, which is unfortunately real.

Last edited:
:confused: This is about clowning , not cloning . Not sure you can understand it . :rolleyes:

People in a state of fear , uncertainty and helplessness sometimes try to relieve that with gallows humor which is often offensive to others but may serve its purpose .

Vulcans (and some always logical or just grim humans) don't get it at all . o_O
Nice. Trying to get personal with me about my aversion to your love of clones. I'll wear that badge. It's not the insult you intended.

And, I'll ask again, what does your BS trauma argument apply to what is going on here in this thread?

Please don't disparage the need for actual heroes to use dark humor as a coping mechanism by comparing it to a bunch of board knife nuts dicking around on the internet. They aren't anywhere near the same.

Dark humor should be left to artists who master the subject. It's great, I like it. Even amateurs come out great at it. But it needs a "je ne sais quoi" of distance and basically "compassion" to put out something that hits right. It's not a thing for numbnuts.

Zombies have nothing to do with Covid-19, and a dumb thread or two doesn't make an entire genre of fiction "total stupidity."
Well, because I always appreciate your posts and because you write well (I still have to read your books, however, I'm slacking...), I totally consider your answer and will mitigate the "total stupidity" stuff.
The genre may not be totally stupid as I said. After all, it has been launched ages ago by Bram Stoker (a good writer), based on regional Romanian legends, if I remember well. That book is a good read. It has also spawned numerous movies (good and bad...). In my opinion, the material has gotten poorer and poorer over time. "I am a legend" would be the apex of voidness (regarding content), although a good movie in itself.
However, it's not a thread or two, the "zombie" thing has been polluting knife threads for years by now. Like "What's the best knife for a zombie apocalypse ?". Count them. It's a childish phantasy, at best. It was only mildly irritating, and totally ignorable, until now. I believe seeing this crap dished out now managed to get my goat. And I thought I was cooler than a deep freezed cucumber...

Lighten up Francis.

Its a strange, new, and scary world. Just remember, death is still the number one killer in the world today. There are many more things that people die from annually in the US and world-wide beside Covid-19, just google leading causes of death.

This is a frightening time but we need distractions and humor.
You seem to be not understanding a lot, but really a lot, of things on that subject. I wish sincerely that your distractions and your special humor are enough to get you over it.

Last edited:
I almost wanted to make a funny, but unfortunately you are right. Not only the straws (hell, McDo isn't killing the planet all by itself) but plastic is some nasty and almost eternal stuff. And we are forgetting that zombie phantasists pollute my news stream. This is a major 1 crisis !

Back