Best EDC

My favorites in no particular order are Sage (1, 2 or 3), caly 3.5, g10 dragonfly, PM2 and the Military. You can see I like them small, medium and large depending on what I anticipate needing that day.

My favorites in no particular order are Sage (1, 2 or 3), caly 3.5, g10 dragonfly, PM2 and the Military. You can see I like them small, medium and large depending on what I anticipate needing that day.

For a knife of it's size I must agree with you on the Military model. I got one recently with XHP steel in it and I just love it beyond words. And they do carry quite nicely for a full sized folder. Because many full sized folders are either too bulky or too awkward for every day carry in most instances. But there is something about the design of the Military and Ayoob models both that make them very comfortable to carry and use.

There is also no way you'll ever go wrong with any of the Calypso models. Being that Spyderco is presently doing a Sprint Run of the older grandfather of all the Caly models and that being the C-54 original Calypso model I also have to put in a plug for that model as well. They really improved this model greatly with the Sprint run>> they remade it with a G-10 handle and kept the VG-10 blade. It's a perfectly designed and perfectly proportioned folder that I had always enjoyed carrying when I had one of the originals of that model. Those 3 models are all full sized but they all fit so comfortably that you don't even know you are carrying them most of the time. Great thread with some great suggestions.

My favorites are a Junior and a Cat. Both will fit in the watch pocket of a pair of blue jeans. (the junior is truly a design marvel packing so much blade into such a compact package) I love my Para 2 but It would probably cause a heart attack or two if I whipped it out in the office.

large.jpg

Last edited:
Ive been carrying a Manix 2. I hardly notice it until I need it to cut and then it cuts like a much larger knife.

Para 2 is a big fan favorite and I really like mine as well. It's just good for all around EDC, slicing, cutting cardboard, and some other heavier tasks as well. And the compression lock is just ridiculously awesome and fun.

A few other favorites of mine are - Spyderco Chokwe - Big knife that doesn't feel too big, has the perfect amount of edge, extremely ergonomic despite its looks, and the blade shape is just perfect for EDC tasks.

Spyderco Techno - Small but a beast! Can handle anything you throw at it, slices well, feels great in the hand, excellent steel, and I really can't say enough good things about it. The deep carry is awesome too.

Spyderco Urban Wharncliffe - Can you tell I like Wharncliffe blades yet? This has to be one of Spyderco's best slipits. The orange color is awesome so you can see it, it's small yet fits the hand like it was made for it. Deep carry like the Techno, and you don't even notice it's in the pocket. The snap on it is great but the action is smooth. Again the Wharncliffe just laughs at EDC tasks. The VG-10 steel is good, holds a good edge and sharpens up easily.

Not sure if you're asking because you want to know or because you're looking for a new knife.
If looking, none of the above will let you down.

Spyderco Squeak is also a great little knife and you can get it cheap. For a small knife, it holds it's own, nice ergos, nice steel, holds a good edge, etc. $40 and I can't get enough of it. =]

What's a "favorite" thread without pics?
My Squeak with my DPX H.E.S.T. 2.0:
DPXSqueak_zps56ed922e.jpg

DPXSqueak2_zps194cc202.jpg

Para 2 and Squeak(Kiwi was along for the ride in the first four):
EDC8_zpsb9d7af4e.jpg

EDC9_zps160d8e90.jpg

PocketDump_zpsdd86ce78.jpg

PocketDump2_zps0533273e.jpg

ParaSqueakVodka_zps6173d0e6.jpg

ParaSqueakVodka2_zpsc961ba49.jpg

Para 2 and Urban:
ParaUrban_zps3c4b5421.jpg

ParaUrban2_zpsc3fed998.jpg

Chokwe and Techno:
ChokweTechno_zps9be9d991.jpg

ChokweTechno2_zpsc49bf68b.jpg

My rotation consist of the following:
1. Para2
2. Yojimbo 2
3. ZDP 189 Delica
4. Southard

I almost always carry two knives and these 4 do it for me.

Endura and Manix 2 lightweight. Will be adding the Para 2 and Delica to the rotation. Hoping to add a Sage 1 to the mix too.

Gayle Bradley and a Manix 2 XL. The Manix looks a lot bigger until you put them edge to edge, and the difference in length is barely 1/4". I prefer the GB; it's a great all-around blade, but today I'm carrying both.

It would be hard to find a Spyderco folding knife that isn't a good EDC, depending on your size and lock preferences.

My PM2 and GayleBradley are among my favorites for EDC. I am also interested in a Manix 2 and maybe a Manix 2 XL. Superleaf, Starmate, Delica, the list goes on and on.

Back