Recommendation? Best High End Flipper?

At least in my experience, the ZT 0801 was probably the best flipper I've come across for under $300. If you're going to spend Shirogorov money, you owe yourself an Andre Thorburn instead :thumbsup: I think they're in different leagues, though everyone raves about the bearing Shiros. They are, however, well over $1,000 whereas a new Thorburn can be had for under $700.

Have you held one and checked it out LD??
Tip isn't crazy thin. Great blade steel too.
Had mine for about 2 years and have no complaints!
Great knife.
Joe

Yeah I've checked it out many times at my local stabby things store. The shape of the Southard blade means the tip of the knife is ground thin as part of the continuing edge. Thusly the Southard tip gets none of the spine thickness to support it. Looknat the very tip of your Southard. It is made up of the thinly ground edge.

If you look at my small sebbie 21 it has a fairly thin tip too but as the drop point the spine of the knife runs right to the tip.

Olamic 247 is right on the money what the OP described. My favorite flippers are a pair of Custom Knife Factory models, the MILK (but it's over well over 4" blade) and Ratata. I'd post pictures but PhotoRANSOMWAREbucket stole them.

view

For about $250 you can get into any of the flippers made by WE Knife Co. They don't really have a tactical, hard use appearance but they have fit/finish and performance well above the price point.

I see the Steelcraft Series have gotten a lot of love in this thread and they're great knives. I have a Mini Bodega and a Kwaiken. Remember, Reate makes all of those and if you don't care for the blingy look of Begg designs (or WE for that matter) you might want to consider a Reate Torrent or some of the designs they make for Lion Mah. All of these would push the upper end of your budget. but are great flippers.

Back home, ZT continues to make great knives right here in our own backyard. They deserve a look especially with some discontinued models at close-out pricing.

Olamic is a solid choice. I love my 247 but I have to admit it doesn't feel as good in my hand as some of the options mentioned above.

Ferrum Forge is collaborating with WE knives to make some really high value blades sold and distributed by MassDrop. Those might be worth a look. The third collaboration between FF, WE and MD will be going live soon.

I can't really recommend any Spyderco flipper. I love me some Spydies but so far I've yet to have one that was a great flipper.

Whatever you pick, have fun and let us know what you decide upon!

Hey guys, looking to get a recommendation on a quality midrange flipper. Looking to spend $350 - $400. I'm mostly interested in Mid Techs but production folders might be considered. 3.5 inches is my favorite size. I'm a fan of tactical folders because they're overbuilt but I want something very smooth and reliable for EDC and outdoor use. I have a Medford 187 flipper so I'd like something similar but on bearings. Thank you!

Bastinelli Safe, IKBS, tactical, smooth, solid and right at your price range.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 22
I would say a Hinderer, or if you're willing to pay a bit more, a Shirogorov.

I've only had 1 Hinderer out of 15 or 20 or so that flipped worth a shit without a ton of wrist. The ZT/Hinderers flip MUCH better than the real thing..

I've only had 1 Hinderer out of 15 or 20 or so that flipped worth a shit without a ton of wrist. The ZT/Hinderers flip MUCH better than the real thing..

I have only two hindrer xm-18 3.5 and both flip fine, no wrist action needed in any direction of flipping. Are they as snappy as some of the hinderer/zt? probably not. but again I dont like flippers being too snappy.

I agree with all the names mentioned above except Hinderer. A good flipper shoots out like a rocket and Hinderer does not. I would like to add Rike Knives and CKF (Custom Knife Factory) as being fantastic flippers in your price range.

I'd rather sacrifice a little "snap" in favor of easier blade deployment. The bearing on washer issue aside, I like the action of the Advocate over most of the ZTs. I also like my Hinderer XM 18 and MP1. The GM3 is nearly perfect, IMO - it doesn't require excessive pressure to get the blade moving, but it still fires quickly and consistently. (Another plus is the limited availability - with only 300 made, it's got a more exclusive "feel" compared to models that sell thousands per year). It's got a smaller, thinner feel in hand, and doesn't have that overbuilt feel; but it's a great cutting tool.

I should be able to comment on the Olamic 247 tomorrow, if USPS delivers (it was supposed to be here today)

Back