Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

20201018-162615.jpg

At least the green and gold was useful for one thing this arvo...and it weren't the rugby.

Prester John Prester John
I was trying to explain to The Countess the difference between Bourbon and Tennessee whiskey as opposed to Scotch....is it mainly to do with the "mash" of grains and their different ratios of malt barley ,rye and corn?
I see the term Kentucky Bourbon...and Tennessee Whiskey also sour mash....generally in Australia we call it all Bourbon...but thats not correct is it???
Still on the lookout for some Pappy Van Winkel....rarer than an undertakers christmas card over here.

Prester John Prester John
I was trying to explain to The Countess the difference between Bourbon and Tennessee whiskey as opposed to Scotch....is it mainly to do with the "mash" of grains and their different ratios of malt barley ,rye and corn?
I see the term Kentucky Bourbon...and Tennessee Whiskey also sour mash....generally in Australia we call it all Bourbon...but thats not correct is it???
Still on the lookout for some Pappy Van Winkel....rarer than an undertakers christmas card over here.
I think there are certain laws about what Bourbon consists of. However, Tennessee whiskey is virtually identical to bourbon, made primarily with corn, with barley and rye is smaller proportions. Sometimes wheat it used instead of rye, as in Maker's Mark. I believe Tennessee Whiskey is filtered through charcoal too. But the taste is similar. They are both aged in oak barrels. I think bourbon has to have at least 51% corn, but most are closer to 80% I think. I am not an expert, of course, but I have consumed a fair amount.
I do prefer Scotch, though, especially the smoky, peaty Islay malts. I think they are aged in bourbon or sherry casks.

I think there are certain laws about what Bourbon consists of. However, Tennessee whiskey is virtually identical to bourbon, made primarily with corn, with barley and rye is smaller proportions. Sometimes wheat it used instead of rye, as in Maker's Mark. I believe Tennessee Whiskey is filtered through charcoal too. But the taste is similar. They are both aged in oak barrels. I think bourbon has to have at least 51% corn, but most are closer to 80% I think. I am not an expert, of course, but I have consumed a fair amount.
I do prefer Scotch, though, especially the smoky, peaty Islay malts. I think they are aged in bourbon or sherry casks.
Technically Bourbon is whiskey as is Scotch. To be called bourbon it can only be distilled in the US, its mash must contain at least 51 percent corn. The mash must be distilled at 160 proof or less, the distillate must be stored in charred new oak barrels at 125 proof or less, and it must not contain any additives. What makes Tennessee whiskey different is that it is filtered through sugar-maple charcoal after it is distilled. Rye is also very similar to Bourbon, the key difference is that primary grain.

Back