1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

BF2020 Viper Swayback Discuss Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knifeswapper, Nov 12, 2020.

1. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Thanks Scott!! :thumbsup:

Scott J. likes this.
  2. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Mind if I "borrow" your method??;)

3. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Go for it! :D

waynorth likes this.
  4. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Oh that dark one is OUTSTANDING, you HAVE to keep that one... Just my 2 Cents. ;):thumbsup:

woodysone, Haegar, waynorth and 3 others like this.
  5. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    That's great! Matching stropping tools to the steel is just as important as the stones.

Standard stropping compounds like black, green, etc. will only truly strop the steel matrix around the vanadium carbides. They cannot abrade or polish the carbides. I personally would not recommend it and have never had good results from it.

Also, the backing, as said, is important. Losing an edge during stropping is not uncommon and I think it's often from rolling the edge. The strop, compound, backing, angle, and pressure are all potential contributors here. Go with very light strokes trying to stay at the sharpening angle and just a couple per side and check.

I am genuinely not trying to derail things here but do feel the discussion of sharpening these vanadium-rich steels is in keeping with the thread's intent. For those who have never encountered these kinds of steels, they can be a new and very real challenge.

6. Wild Willie

Wild Willie Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Well Charlie, from my perspective that darker one would be what I chose to keep...

Will Power, waynorth and LizaMari like this.
  7. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    I don't think the sharpening discussion is off topic (of course, that's the mod's call)
    I'm sure I'm not the only one here who is more comfortable with the simple steels commonly used in traditional knives. I don't like using blades if I don't feel confident I can maintain the edge, and this fancy supersteel had me feeling apprehensive.

I agree. Love that washboard texture. :D :thumbsup:

8. Old Biker

Old Biker

Sep 25, 2016
    Mine measures 21 degrees per side. Measured with a Gritomatic goniometter.

O.B.

Scott J. and waynorth like this.
  9. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    The character and figure of the darker one really draws me!

LizaMari and waynorth like this.
  10. Scott J.

Scott J. Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 8, 2019
    Helpful info, thanks!!
    Gotta admit tho, had to google Gritomatic goniometter.

11. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Agree with Eli. Like diamond, cubic boron nitride is harder than Vanadium Carbide, so either one will work.

waynorth and Wild Willie like this.
  12. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    My vote is for the dark one! Beautiful!!

LizaMari, waynorth and Will Power like this.
  13. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Certainly an interesting link and Levine wrote well then but it needs to be looked at in perspective.

Mostly it refers to horn in storage and that's when infestation is most likely to occur, horn stacked up, membrane still adhering etc. Responsible knife makers would use some pesticides in these situations as a preventative. It also relates to museum pieces which are very old or ancient, notably furniture or vehicles as conduits of infestation. In the home, if you have wall to wall carpets of natural fibre, you've warm damp spots, you don't clean much then the larvae could gain hold :eek: at the same time storing horn handled knives in cloth in dark damp areas MIGHT attract larvae attack if your house is already infested. Lately, people have rugs or floor materials in synthetics and this is far less attractive to these pests. Here in Scandiland, people still regularly take their mats/rugs outside and give them a good thrashing or spanking ;) that should help :D

Finally, if you use the knife a lot it's excellently protected, but storing in dark/humid places COULD invite larvae attack, especially if you home resembles a hoarder's zone (I suppose many knife addicts could be in that scenario ;)) Well, a home invasion of zombies or anything could happen:rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    waynorth, Modoc ED and Ramrodmb like this.
  14. E40

E40 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2012
    I really like how the ripples pop on the darker one.

LizaMari and waynorth like this.
  15. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Two very nice examples, but I vote to keep the dark one - it reminds me of water rippling on the surface. OH

LizaMari, waynorth and r8shell like this.
  16. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    So far not a bad one, all unique [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Elgatodeacero, JOELSM, mbkr and 23 others like this.
  17. HOMER GRIFIN

HOMER GRIFIN

Apr 15, 2015
    Would you like to trade for one with dark scales?

18. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Wowza! Both of those have excellent “knobbyness” Charlie. I’d keep the dark if it were me.

waynorth likes this.
  19. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    @r8shell and other stroppers of 1095, make sure you don’t use the same strop on your 1095 as you do on m390. The micro particles of the harder steel that come off in the stropping can create imperfections in the edge of the 1095 when you stop it afterwards–or so I’ve read.

20. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    I asked the factory and they said they used a special organic compound with insect deterring herbs and left a good bit embedded in the horn. So, as long as nobody cleans out the compound they will be good for a couple decades. :D

mbkr, Xr6x, willard0341 and 27 others like this.