BHQ Excl. Lum Tanto?

Mine came in the regular/thin plastic bag but seems great. I did notice the lack of bubble bag right away though since any other Japanese Spyderco I bought came in one.

I doubt the bubble wrap has anything to do with anything. Someone posted that he got a good one and a bad one, and the good one was in bubble wrap and the other in a plastic bag. Then concluded that there was a connection. I got a great one in a plain bag, and I am not aware of any REAL evidence of an association, so I would not worry about it.

These are also my thoughts! For all we know, maybe the factory ran out of the bubble warp pouches!!! Mine was not perfect but with some tweaking here and there, it is both a keeper and enjoyable knife since I had never owned a Tanto shaped folder, let alone a Lum.

Am I sorry that I did not score a major scoop by buying a potential future $400 knife for the original price of $220? Well, who would not be but by the same token I only bought one to see what all the fuss was about and at the end of the day after some pocket time, fondling, gentle use and wearing off enjoyment if I end up loathing it for its defects* (as measured to the lofty standards of absolute perfection*) I will just throw it on the Exchange for $170 - $180 and we will see as to what fight will break out over it. Most people who castigate the flagrant flippers will have no problem fighting over a knife when a seller decides to lose a bit. OTOH, some of these flippers seem like they would never ever consider losing a bit just to let things loose and be free from headaches. I dunno, they must not have dated bat sh*t crazy chicks I guess :D

Just got mine and I'm pretty stoked! A good friend and forum member sold me his (a great example BTW) for less than original cost! What an awesome guy! Thanks so much, again!
Sucks to hear about the "bad" ones that came out, but IMO, a good example is well worth the original price. I'll be holding on to this one whether I decide to use it or keep it only to admire. Beautiful knife!
And of course, pic or it didn't happen.
cPdzRo6.jpg

Seems that quite a few snatched them up just to flip judging by the amount available on the exchange

Not sure if I would call them "flipping" because the price on the Exchange is around $240, which after PayPal fees, Priority shipping fee, full insurance, and signature (about $20 in total give or take), really has no profit left. If anything, it is unsuccessful or profit-less flipping :p

BTW I did not buy this knife (put it in my bladeHQ cart but eventually gave up) and I do not regret.

Not sure if I would call them "flipping" because the price on the Exchange is around $240, which after PayPal fees, Priority shipping fee, full insurance, and signature (about $20 in total give or take), really has no profit left. If anything, it is unsuccessful or profit-less flipping :p

BTW I did not buy this knife (put it in my bladeHQ cart but eventually gave up) and I do not regret.

Yeah but why buy two just to sell one? They speculated that these were going to see an exponential price increase like the red PM2 from DLT.

They didn't buy 2 to have a user and one in the safe. If that was the objective they wouldn't be selling them a day later.

They rolled the dice but this time they crapped out.

Let's contrast this to the BHQ PM2 in natural G10 and M4. Lots of folks got 2 of those 2 but they didn't rush straight to the exchange. For a lot of those some one would post up they were disappointed they missed out & another member would chime in they had an extra they'd pass on.

Yeah but why buy two just to sell one? They speculated that these were going to see an exponential price increase like the red PM2 from DLT.

They didn't buy 2 to have a user and one in the safe. If that was the objective they wouldn't be selling them a day later.

They rolled the dice but this time they crapped out.

Let's contrast this to the BHQ PM2 in natural G10 and M4. Lots of folks got 2 of those 2 but they didn't rush straight to the exchange. For a lot of those some one would post up they were disappointed they missed out & another member would chime in they had an extra they'd pass on.

I agree with the above that those who bought two or multiples, were mostly compelled because of speculation than benevolence. Heck, even I considered buying 2 x to sell one at a later date just to cost average down but the nagging Q was as to whether I wanted to get my hands dirty to make say $50 - $100 after all the costs, profiteering on a hobby which I rather see more benevolence and goodwill. The flipping and the price gauging that went on with the DLT PM2 was frankly speaking quite disgusting!

When I buy a car I'm like come on man you didn't pay that much for it, just sell it to me for what you paid. The dealers are quite disgusting....;)

I bought two hoping to pass one on to a member at cost. Trying to out hustle the flippers.

I ended up selling both at a small loss.
Just wasn’t feeling this model in the end.

When I buy a car I'm like come on man you didn't pay that much for it, just sell it to me for what you paid. The dealers are quite disgusting....;)

I don't see the relevance. The dealer is in the business to make money, it's a business enterprise and not a charity. While used car dealers are notorious for shenanigans and always among the most loathed, in this day and age unlike 20-30 years ago, an astute buyer uses the info readily available on his smartphone to cut the best deal possible and if can not, it's sayonara time. Buying a car and buying a knife are not analogous in comparison.

Just chiming in on my Lum Tanto. It was darn near perfect out of the box. Super sharp and centered. Action is stiff but breaking in. My only criticism is the sharp edges around the entire knife and especially the Spyder hole. I took a small diamond sharpening rod to the hole, the non sharp edges of the blade and the exposed liners. Took about 90 seconds and otherwise I have what I would call a very good example. Off to custom scales next.

I was fortunate enough to pick up one of these amazing knives but unfortunately I will be sending it back to BladeHQ. While opening the blade I felt scraping all the until the liner lock engaged. Thinking there was grit or debris in the handle I gave it a visual inspection and once I saw that everything looked clear I proceeded to close the knife. The same scraping feeling was still there. I checked again for debris and tried opening and closing another time and the scraping was still there. I took the knife apart to look for anything out of the ordinary and saw nothing. Once I assembled the knife again I opened and closed a couple more times and the scraping was still present. This "scraping" has caused a severe groove in the blade steel. More than I have ever seen I liner lock produce. It seems that the detent ball has a sharp edge and is causing the scraping damage to the blade. I contacted Spyderco's warranty dept and was advised that my only options are return to BladeHQ or send in for warranty work, but to the the knife being an exclusive there are no parts and only a credit could be issued for the knife. Unfortunately, I will be returning to BladeHQ and picking up a different knife. I feel that even though the knife is an exclusive, Spyderco should have a few replacement parts. This doesn't change my opinion of Spyderco or BladeHQ as I will continue to buy product from both. Just mildly frustrating that I was able to purchase a very limited exclusive firsthand all to lose it due to QC.

I was fortunate enough to pick up one of these amazing knives but unfortunately I will be sending it back to BladeHQ. While opening the blade I felt scraping all the until the liner lock engaged. Thinking there was grit or debris in the handle I gave it a visual inspection and once I saw that everything looked clear I proceeded to close the knife. The same scraping feeling was still there. I checked again for debris and tried opening and closing another time and the scraping was still there. I took the knife apart to look for anything out of the ordinary and saw nothing. Once I assembled the knife again I opened and closed a couple more times and the scraping was still present. This "scraping" has caused a severe groove in the blade steel. More than I have ever seen I liner lock produce. It seems that the detent ball has a sharp edge and is causing the scraping damage to the blade. I contacted Spyderco's warranty dept and was advised that my only options are return to BladeHQ or send in for warranty work, but to the the knife being an exclusive there are no parts and only a credit could be issued for the knife. Unfortunately, I will be returning to BladeHQ and picking up a different knife. I feel that even though the knife is an exclusive, Spyderco should have a few replacement parts. This doesn't change my opinion of Spyderco or BladeHQ as I will continue to buy product from both. Just mildly frustrating that I was able to purchase a very limited exclusive firsthand all to lose it due to QC.

Brah....

Taking knives apart

Every month we get back hundreds of knives that have been returned to dealers. These knives have been played with, taken apart, re-assembled and then returned to the dealer as "new" for a refund. Dealers will just put them back on the shelf to send to some other poor customers that believes he's getting a new knife. It isn't a new knife; it has been taken apart and put back together by an amateur. Most (95%) of the time a knife is taken apart by an amateur it is not put back together properly so the new customer gets screwed by the previous customer.

Now we have the dealers return the knives to us so as to prevent this from happening. We then have to QC the knives a 2nd time and generally 2nd them. This is an expensive time taker and a loss to our company which has to be put into the costs of doing business which raises the costs of the products.

We ask our customers not to do this. We don't send out internal parts because it encourages customers to take apart their knives. These are not Tinker Toys or Lego sets, they re precision pieces. Follow our procedures and we will take care of you.

We've set up distributors all over the world to try to get the product to our customers and service their needs and problems. This is also expensive and many customers will complain about the cost and try to find ways around it, and then complain when they have a problem that circumvents all of the solutions we have tried to put into place.

We have not been able to figure out a way to sort this. Every month we get numerous customers getting on the forum and complaining publicly that we are screwing our customers. They want to have everything done the way they want it because “they have a reason”. We don’t expect them to understand all that is involved, and often they refuse to because they simply want what they want, which is often unreasonable and more costly to us than the solutions we have already put into place..

We set out policies to be able to solve issues and still make good products, please our customers and maintain a business. Perhaps this can be an ongoing discussion?

Thanx,

sal

Not trying to ruffle feathers, but I've never had to deal with an issue like this before.

Let me also clarify a bit. Both companies are aware I took the knife apart and neither one had any concerns about it. I'm not saying I am a professional at disassembling knives, but it's not that difficult.

So what you're saying is, send the knife to Spyderco even after being told there is nothing that can be done to fix the damage? Now I'm stuck with, at most, a credit for only a Spyderco knife versus a refund that I would gladly spend right back at BladeHQ.

I appreciate the feedback.

Just for the survey,
Just got mine, the pivot was way too tight, and the stop pin was loose such that the screw was falling out.

Broke out the wihas and some blue loctite, and the knife is centered and action is great!

Thanks for bringing this one back Sal!
Not sure how it was delivered needing the basic maintenance, but once completed, I'm sure happy I purchased!

Not trying to ruffle feathers, but I've never had to deal with an issue like this before.

Let me also clarify a bit. Both companies are aware I took the knife apart and neither one had any concerns about it. I'm not saying I am a professional at disassembling knives, but it's not that difficult.

So what you're saying is, send the knife to Spyderco even after being told there is nothing that can be done to fix the damage? Now I'm stuck with, at most, a credit for only a Spyderco knife versus a refund that I would gladly spend right back at BladeHQ.

I appreciate the feedback.

If it is an obvious warranty issue that isn't caused by tinkering by the owner they will fix it or give you credit for a new one if it isn't fixable. Can't see what more they can do for you really..

Back