Bicycles!

speed wobbles are almost always due to wheels being out of plane with each other
Wish I had this knowledge years ago when I owned and put many miles on a beautiful steel Tom Ritchey Road Logic. Bike always puzzled me. Had numerous wheelsets over the years built by skilled people, such a sweet riding bike, except for 45+ mph speed wobbles that approached near death experiences at times. Thought maybe it was just me, poor descending technique. Now when I’m not on a Mtn bike I ride a carbon gravel bike on road (and off). 40mm tires at low pressure. I could eat lunch on that thing while descending at speed.

The weight of the valve stem does create a balance issue in my experience. I have been running everything tubeless, and I tape my own rims with black gorilla tape which is reliable but heavy. A 5 inch overlap of tape opposite the valve stem seems to help balance things out.

Wish I had this knowledge years ago when I owned and put many miles on a beautiful steel Tom Ritchey Road Logic. Bike always puzzled me. Had numerous wheelsets over the years built by skilled people, such a sweet riding bike, except for 45+ mph speed wobbles that approached near death experiences at times. Thought maybe it was just me, poor descending technique. Now when I’m not on a Mtn bike I ride a carbon gravel bike on road (and off). 40mm tires at low pressure. I could eat lunch on that thing while descending at speed.
did you ever have the frame alignment checked? Fork alignment? If both are out, that bike's gonna each your lunch at speed. Also seen a lot of heavy riders opting for steel with too small a diameter and too thin walls, (for the sake of saving a couple ounces) and when that frame flexes so bad you're wheels go out of plane, you're in trouble. I've spent a lot of time 'cold setting' steel frames straight, back in the day. These days everything's dead nuts and my old alignment gauges are generally useless

Never had it checked for alignment. Here’s are pics. sold it a little while back. Never thought I would. Just wasn’t riding it anymore but hung onto it for years for nostalgia sake. I had that bike over 20 years, went through many different builds to keep pace with all the tech changes over that timeframe. Frame was originally yellow. Had it repainted by Spectrum Powderworks in Colorado.

B09D2F82-556B-4769-853D-23459B9CC760.jpeg

456EC36E-BAF5-43BB-B01B-06E0E26772B6.jpeg

63A1323C-A313-49FE-B4AF-B89E46173D53.jpeg

Two of my builds/rebuilds for the upcoming season.
Both are 29+ size which works really well for parts interchangeability, just needed to pick up the new Stache 7 frame.
Come on Spring!
As for knife related content my TL-29 is on the counter and helped a little. :thumbsup:

Dn4NC6u.jpg

Qkbmd4E.jpg

My son just came thru town and had to show me his new ride. Revel GX. Man what a ride! And then he had it custom for his riding. Too much for this old mans blood for sure.

Last edited:
Great to see others with addiction to bicycles and knives. I’m mostly a roadie these days, retired racer (cat 2 road) but still grind out the miles (14,500 last year) and go for the random strava KOM.
I’ve got a 2002 Merlin Agilis with S&S couplers and a Giant Propel with Dura Ace and Enve wheels. Just sold my MTB to budget other purchase.

check out my race team on FB @FoundationCyclingNewYork! We have been coaching young talent to get to pro ranks for 20 years and have had quite a few reach the goal. Look me up if you’re in CT and want to go for a ride on some great roads. Average about 20mph on rolling terrain.

Question - why is there not a CPK knife for cyclists? Like, something in LC200N and the size of a CRK professional soldier or spartan enyo? Maybe put a bit driver on the handle for allen bits?

Anyone here ride on Zwift? I did a Team Time Trial last night and it was a blast!!!

@Nathan and Lorien Lorien , any chance you'd be recruited for a TTT team? We need category A (>4.0w/kg) and category B (3.5w/kg to 4.0w/kg) riders. Neat team name - The Cutters ;)

Here's the link to course profile and results. These events happen on Thursdays @ 7ish EST:
Zwift Power - WTRL Team Time Trial - Zone 13

Last edited:
I think I managed to get my 10 mile time trial down in the 22-23 minute range. That's the best I was able to do and I kind of lost interest in them. You couldn't pay me to do one today. I was more of a sprinter, the time trial was never my strong suit. My buddy Dale was on the team, he always killed it on the time trials, that dude was a diesel. I think he would usually ride the time trial bike, my bike was just a road bike with aerobars on it.

... I don't know what Z-Swift is....

Thats just almost too much to pass up...."anyone ride a z-swift? what is it? "and then show me a pic of that young lady, me knowing its someones wife or daughter.......
She's an actress in a TV ad that went viral. She got the gig below afterwards so I think she's fine.

I think I managed to get my 10 mile time trial down in the 22-23 minute range. That's the best I was able to do and I kind of lost interest in them. You couldn't pay me to do one today. I was more of a sprinter, the time trial was never my strong suit. My buddy Dale was on the team, he always killed it on the time trials, that dude was a diesel. I think he would usually ride the time trial bike, my bike was just a road bike with aerobars on it.

... I don't know what Z-Swift is....

@Nathan very cool. I hear you were state champ from Jo!!!

Today, at 44, I don’t want to go elbow to elbow for the bike throw, so I mostly just do online e-races. Check this out, it’s https://www.zwift.com/

it’s basically like a Multi-player bike racing video game Where your power (watts) make your avatar go as fast as you would in real life. There is drafting, too.

great for the winter training months.

Back