BK62

I hope the price on these are not too much for my anorexic piggybank.

I'm wondering if the chamfering on the curvature of the spine served a specific purpose? I say that because there is noting else that is an embellishment but pure function. Also, I use a 90deg spine a lot for scraping things that I don't want to dull an edge on, so thought there might have been a use for the chamfering.

Anyone else have a problem of not thinking of the BK16 when looking at any Kephart?

I hope the price on these are not too much for my anorexic piggybank.

I'm wondering if the chamfering on the curvature of the spine served a specific purpose? I say that because there is noting else that is an embellishment but pure function. Also, I use a 90deg spine a lot for scraping things that I don't want to dull an edge on, so thought there might have been a use for the chamfering.

Anyone else have a problem of not thinking of the BK16 when looking at any Kephart?
Ethan knew what he wanted in the 16 and that was Kephart ish knife. I just hope that the Bk62 doesn't arbitrarily kill the 16. The 16 is a Marvel

Still super stoked about this blade. Hoping it fits my hand. If it does, should be good to go. Perhaps the last blade I'll ever need. Yeah, right, haha. Until Ethan comes out with another one. :thumbsup:

Still super stoked about this blade. Hoping it fits my hand. If it does, should be good to go. Perhaps the last blade I'll ever need. Yeah, right, haha. Until Ethan comes out with another one. :thumbsup:
Man, you’ve been pushing hard for this design ever since we got wind Ethan had come into possession of an original. It better fit your hand! I’m sure you’ve banked enough karma brownie points for that.

Man, you’ve been pushing hard for this design ever since we got wind Ethan had come into possession of an original. It better fit your hand! I’m sure you’ve banked enough karma brownie points for that.
I think it will. Even if it's a little short, it's a straight handle, so there shouldn't be any problem.

This is a fun read for me... Thanks.....

The spine is relieved for a reason..... The relief allows a smooth exit from flesh(wether fish, owl or good red meat).... This is something I did not understand until I was a part of but, mostly a bystander when The great Jerry Fisk and Greg Phillips we’re talking about this feature on another blade which, I had always regarded as a fashion statement.... It was, as so frequently happens to me when around Brother Fisk one of those Aha moments.... I had to do some comparison cutting just to see and, it was revelatory......

A lot of people are concerned about the continued good health of their clubs(batons). I cannot remember which of the Northeast gatherers put it to me but, the Baton(club) is the last piece of firewood that makes it on to the fire...... A point can be made about scraping stuff...... Kephart went for an overall utility in everything........

One of the things that always impresses me about HK’s writings is their continuing relevance..... All you have to do is update the technology i.e. if you substitute Nysilk for”balloon cloth” his work reads just fine 120 years down the trail...

This blade, given the manufacturing and materials technology of the day, is just incredible in it’s Design philosophy and execution.......Would he have used different materials, maybe ...Would he have contoured the scales a bit differently, maybe....The steel is probable equivalent to 1095, the scale material is walnut or perhaps chestnut and today he may have wanted to use a more robust material which would argue for zytel or Micarta......First principles...... I could go on and on.....

E

Walnut or chestnut?....Chestnut was extremely plentiful and popular in Kephart’s day and a fine choice it would have been.... I am extremely curious about this but, I refuse to do the destructive testing I would have to do to resolve the issue....e

So glad you did this Ethan. Am very curious about the wood myself.

Yo Warrior....

It is a puzzlement..... I have been tempted to scrape a bit off the scales to get a color and grain check but I have seen chestnut that mimics walnut sapwood and I do not have enough experience with chestnut to be certain even with a bunch of invasive scraping to be certain.... I am NOT going to screw up that much history ..... Hey-it is wood, it works, so screw it..... But..... LOL. E

Yo Warrior....

It is a puzzlement..... I have been tempted to scrape a bit off the scales to get a color and grain check but I have seen chestnut that mimics walnut sapwood and I do not have enough experience with chestnut to be certain even with a bunch of invasive scraping to be certain.... I am NOT going to screw up that much history ..... Hey-it is wood, it works, so screw it..... But..... LOL. E
I hear that. There's no way I could do it either. Seems like with today's technology, they'd be able to do some sort of scan and find out.

Back