BK62

some woods can be told by smell when the wood is wet.

perhaps do it to the one in the museum, since it's already used up?

some woods can be told by smell when the wood is wet.

perhaps do it to the one in the museum, since it's already used up?

I know a botanist who can identify wood by microscope with just a small sliver...

Ultimately, it doesn't matter that much. White oak is an excellent, rugged choice of currently available, sustainable hardwood. Thematically appropriate. I've made many oak-handled knives, unstabilized, and it holds up very well. Sometimes you can even get a pretty piece. Personally, I think Ka-Bar's stock micarta color/finish would be an unimpeachable choice as well.

osage orange is a wonderful wood, great color, and grain...

a few walnut handled beaters i have split.

hickory. used on axe handles for a reason?

Yeah, walnut isn't great for that. Not dense enough, not long-fiber enough.
Hickory is a beast. Put it on one knife. Still a great material, but more of a pain than white oak, I think. Better in larger sections. It's strength is overkill if it's not a stressed member.

This is a fun read for me... Thanks.....

The spine is relieved for a reason..... The relief allows a smooth exit from flesh(wether fish, owl or good red meat)......e

Thanks for the information. So the curvature lessens drag, similar to a boat tailed bullet lessening turbulence that builds at the base as it passes through the air. Interesting.

Some one asked if hickory has a specific reason for being used in ax handles. Hickory is very strong if the grain doesn't run out but it is also has significant "spring." That spring translates to less shock and vibration when striking and much less wearing on the hands and joints. I have heard the claim that hickory because of the flex transmits the blow over a longer time and imparts more energy to the blow. I don't know if I buy that but a good hickory handle does seem to have more "life" in a tool handle.

Hickory is a bad choice for a knife handle. It doesn't take much water and exposure to notice the wood deteriorating. Hickory trees that fall in E TN climate don't last long.

Walnut and chestnut are much better rot resistant than hickory or oak. As Ethan has probably seen there are still a very few chestnut logs that can be found in rough/remote areas where they couldn't be snaked out as well as the outer ring of old stumps.

A relief cut on this knife won't effect it much to what I can see. Really it probably would only be a light batoner or light medium at best for use to get to the burnable part of the wood. The relief on the BK5 find I find very unuseful myself.

I'm really excited about this knife. I love the Kephart style and this one just looks right. Anyone here who can ship it to South Africa? I doubt it will be available here anytime soon, sadly. I would love to have one of these.

I was going to suggest American chestnut for a special run of the BK62 - the wood can be found reclaimed from old structures, and is not particularly expensive.

I did read that chestnut can react with carbon steel, but not sure if that is true.

I vote for chestnut handles for the first 500 knives, then oak or walnut after that.

Yo Warrior....

It is a puzzlement..... I have been tempted to scrape a bit off the scales to get a color and grain check but I have seen chestnut that mimics walnut sapwood and I do not have enough experience with chestnut to be certain even with a bunch of invasive scraping to be certain.... I am NOT going to screw up that much history ..... Hey-it is wood, it works, so screw it..... But..... LOL. E

Yes, what ever wood works good, go with it sounds sensible.
Even some thing water/rot proof would be wise.

I discovered this style of knife while reading Kepharts book. Then I went researching where I could get something like it. The Condor Kephart looked decent but not for like 100 dollars here in SA! The steel also put me of. Then I decided my only option was to get a custom knife made for me. That is until I found the Bark River Kephart that looked great. Then I heard about this knife on Instagram. Well that's how I ended up here, looking for my dream knife.... Which I probably won't be able to afford. I calculated that it will cost like 96 dollars to buy a Becker BK14 with scales and ship it here. That is just too much for me. Sigh. I still want these knives though.

I discovered this style of knife while reading Kepharts book. Then I went researching where I could get something like it. The Condor Kephart looked decent but not for like 100 dollars here in SA! The steel also put me of. Then I decided my only option was to get a custom knife made for me. That is until I found the Bark River Kephart that looked great. Then I heard about this knife on Instagram. Well that's how I ended up here, looking for my dream knife.... Which I probably won't be able to afford. I calculated that it will cost like 96 dollars to buy a Becker BK14 with scales and ship it here. That is just too much for me. Sigh. I still want these knives though.

Is there something really difficult about shipping your way? Not sure what SA is (South America?) but shipping to Europe hasn't been excessively awful.

P.S. I have a condor kephart up for the taking (with some stipulations but we could discuss that) in the "pay it forward" thread. I also have a mini-review of why it's there. Having it makes me more excited for this because it was a nice blade design with a bad, for me, handle.

Is there something really difficult about shipping your way? Not sure what SA is (South America?) but shipping to Europe hasn't been excessively awful.

P.S. I have a condor kephart up for the taking (with some stipulations but we could discuss that) in the "pay it forward" thread. I also have a mini-review of why it's there. Having it makes me more excited for this because it was a nice blade design with a bad, for me, handle.

stips?

you mentioned stipulations?

Ah yes, that's part of the "pay it forward" thread, getting a knife for "free" requires putting another knife into the thread for someone else. For W Willem208 I would see about working something else out so he has the opportunity to get a kephart knife to try, since that's more or less the spirit of that thread. I didn't want to hi-jack this one too much; I plan to get 2 BK62's when they release and am more excited about it after trying out the condor kepart from the PIF thread. I didn't want to post a link to so it's less distracting.

Ah yes, that's part of the "pay it forward" thread, getting a knife for "free" requires putting another knife into the thread for someone else. For W Willem208 I would see about working something else out so he has the opportunity to get a kephart knife to try, since that's more or less the spirit of that thread. I didn't want to hi-jack this one too much; I plan to get 2 BK62's when they release and am more excited about it after trying out the condor kepart from the PIF thread. I didn't want to post a link to so it's less distracting.

there aren't very many actual Kephart clones out there that are Keharty... so very few have had that honor i think :D

i'm hoping we can get a few BK62s to give away in official like contests. "we shall see"

i'm hoping i can buy a few myself :D well, there's not much "hope" there. production item. costs money. i will arrange it.

as a rule, i like [knife] giveaways for the Becker sub-forum to be for Beckerheads. anyone can give, but well, a Beckerhead shall receive. sort of a perk, for most contests. we don't ask much. mostly participation, and "own something". given that Becker's are practically one of the most affordable knives going, it's not very onorous, eh? :D

as well, there are certain knives, given certain things, that are required to play. rare, but timely.

Back