BladeForums.com COVID-19 Response

I live about 80 miles north of NYC. But I work there, I take Metro North down everyday.
I've been working from home for the last 10 days.

The last few days I was down there, it was eerie, especially in the subway.
I can't really say I say I felt unsafe, but it was weird not seeing anyone in the Times Square station during rush hour.

For my last trip down I switched to a small fixed blade in a pocket sheath.
I usually carry a slipjoint when I'm down there.

Everyone be well

Just so you know, the mask will not prevent transmission 100%, but it might help block it a bit. Also the virus can live on copper for a number of hours.

Doctors are sterilizing the masks as best they can to reuse them, but it's not clear how effective that is yet.

Also DON'T TAKE IBUPROFEN, the virus seems to thrive on it!
I don't need and EDC since I'm stuck in the house and there's always a knife lying around somewhere in reach.

I live in San Francisco where they called for a "shelter-in-place" earlier than most (maybe all?) cities. I've been in my house since the 15th at that point. In that time, I've gone to the store twice to stock up on food/ supplies. My job is flexible enough that I can time it during the slower times.

So my EDC has been rotating groups of ~7 knives on my desk for the last 2 weeks

I live in a relatively small rural city and we have had only two confirmed positives.
Work as an RN in the ER of our only hospital.
I can't comment on our current supplies and what we are doing but we are trying our best.
Have been taking all the precautions at work but now have a sore throat and stuffy nose.
Not saying I am positive but going to treat the situation as if I am.
Already been self quarantining but looks like no going out in public at all for 2 weeks, wife and kids too.

This virus is no joke and if you treat it as if it is you are only contributing to the problem.
Please stay at home and only go out if you absolutely have too.
Wash your hands, wear a mask, wear gloves, social distance.
Above all be safe and be positive. We will get through this!

Respect

Johns Hopkins University, sent this excellent summary to avoid contagion

share it with you because it is very clear:

* The virus is not a living organism, but a protein molecule (DNA) covered by a protective layer of lipid (fat), which, when absorbed by the cells of the ocular, nasal or buccal mucosa, changes their genetic code. (mutation) and convert them into aggressor and multiplier cells.

* Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it is not killed, but decays on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and type of material where it lies.

* The virus is very fragile; the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat. That is why any soap or detergent is the best remedy, because the foam CUTS the FAT (that is why you have to rub so much: for 20 seconds or more, to make a lot of foam). By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule disperses and breaks down on its own.

* HEAT melts fat; this is why it is so good to use water above 25 degrees Celsius for washing hands, clothes and everything. In addition, hot water makes more foam and that makes it even more useful.

* Alcohol or any mixture with alcohol over 65% DISSOLVES ANY FAT, especially the external lipid layer of the virus.

* Any mix with 1 part bleach and 5 parts water directly dissolves the protein, breaks it down from the inside.

* Oxygenated water helps long after soap, alcohol and chlorine, because peroxide dissolves the virus protein, but you have to use it pure and it hurts your skin.

* NO BACTERICIDE SERVES. The virus is not a living organism like bacteria; they cannot kill what is not alive with anthobiotics, but quickly disintegrate its structure with everything said.

* NEVER shake used or unused clothing, sheets or cloth. While it is glued to a porous surface, it is very inert and disintegrates only between 3 hours (fabric and porous), 4 hours (copper, because it is naturally antiseptic; and wood, be

cause it removes all the moisture and does not let it peel off and disintegrates). ), 24 hours (cardboard), 42 hours (metal) and 72 hours (plastic). But if you shake it or use a feather duster, the virus molecules float in the air for up to 3 hours, and can lodge in your nose.

* The virus molecules remain very stable in external cold, or artificial as air conditioners in houses and cars. They also need moisture to stay stable, and especially darkness. Therefore, dehumidified, dry, warm and bright environments will degrade it faster.

* UV LIGHT on any object that may contain it breaks down the virus protein. For example, to disinfect and reuse a mask is perfect. Be careful, it also breaks down collagen (which is protein) in the skin, eventually causing wrinkles and skin cancer.

* The virus CANNOT go through healthy skin.

* Vinegar is NOT useful because it does not break down the protective layer of fat.

* NO SPIRITS, NOR VODKA, serve. The strongest vodka is 40% alcohol, and you need 65%.

* LISTERINE IF IT SERVES! It is 65% alcohol.

* The more confined the space, the more concentration of the virus there can be. The more open or naturally ventilated, the less.

* This is super said, but you have to wash your hands before and after touching mucosa, food, locks, knobs, switches, remote control, cell phone, watches, computers, desks, TV, etc. And when using the bathroom.

* You have to HUMIDIFY HANDS DRY from so much washing them, because the molecules can hide in the micro cracks. The thicker the moisturizer, the better. * Also keep your NAILS SHORT so that the virus does not hide there.

--

Professor of Social Anthropology and Middle Eastern Studies, emeritus.
Department of Anthropology.

Harvard Society of Fellows,
Harvard University,
Cambridge, Massachusetts.

From other tread: interesting to read

Just so you know, the mask will not prevent transmission 100%, but it might help block it a bit. Also the virus can live on copper for a number of hours.

Doctors are sterilizing the masks as best they can to reuse them, but it's not clear how effective that is yet.

some Dutch physicians and nurses use hydrogen peroxide, it is effective but may break down eventually the mask itself, so has its limits.

Also DON'T TAKE IBUPROFEN, the virus seems to thrive on it!
I don't need and EDC since I'm stuck in the house and there's always a knife lying around somewhere in reach.

Ibuprofen thing is false news, this came from a short study in reuma patients taking corticosteroids and/or ibuprofen.
You can take ibuprofen, remember only to mention this to your GP if you present symptoms because this may mask certain symptoms of corona ever so slightly.

A European MD, just off my shift in the first line.

My rural county has no reported confirmed or suspected cases and is considered low risk.
We are still urged to stay home as much as possible, and that's what I'm going but truth be told I usually don't go anywhere besides work and home.
Maybe the hardware store or grocery store, but I'm not the type to go partying or go socializing with groups of people aside from family.
Just about everything of interest to me is in my workshop, my airgun range, or on the riverbank , and I haven't purchased my fishing license yet this year.

From other tread: interesting to read

some Dutch physicians and nurses use hydrogen peroxide, it is effective but may break down eventually the mask itself, so has its limits.

Ibuprofen thing is false news, this came from a short study in reuma patients taking corticosteroids and/or ibuprofen.
You can take ibuprofen, remember only to mention this to your GP if you present symptoms because this may mask certain symptoms of corona ever so slightly.

A European MD, just off my shift in the first line.
Ha, I have booze over 65%, so I'm set :D

Well I don't want to spread false news for sure. But this was something I heard from a nutritionist friend who was conferring with Drs about c19 issues, and they were warning that patients with ibu in their system were doing worse than those without it. Snopes says unproven, per the BBC the evidence is inconclusive but:
Although we don't yet know whether ibuprofen has a particular effect on the severity or length of illnesses caused by coronavirus - either in healthy people or those with underlying conditions - Dr Charlotte Warren-Gash, of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, says, especially for vulnerable patients, "it seems sensible to stick to paracetamol as first choice".

I am in NYC and the new EDC is a mask and gloves. This is the new norm here.

Same here. I have suited up with a mask and gloves since two weeks ago whenever I leave the house. I secured ten masks and a couple boxes of gloves in different sizes a month ago.

I'm taking two N95 masks to a childhood friend tomorrow. I'm in Manhattan and he's in Forest Hills. A couple of months ago he was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma and is currently in chemotherapy. I'll drive so as to avoid the subway.

Unless you are working/present in a hospital or some other confined space where there are a lot of infected people present and dispersing aerosol droplets w/the virus in it, you cannot (or at least, should not) get "infected" just standing near people, even less than 6ft away.

6ft is just recommended because that's the distance that is most likely contaminated by someone who is coughing/sneezing and who is NOT wearing a mask to prevent dispersion. It is NOT a "magical" distance and if the droplets are suspended in the air and dispersed by wind/ventilation, you could get contaminated beyond that distance.

As far as anyone knows, the virus is spread by inhaling viral droplets or touching your nose/mouth w/droplets picked up through contact in one way or another. So, if no one is coughing/sneezing (w/o a mask) and you are not touching your face (whether you touched an infected surface or not), you "should not" contract the disease.

However, even if you are wearing a mask and someone (who is not wearing one) coughs/sneezes w/o range of you (whether 6 ft or not), you can still get sick if your mask is not sealed properly. Some of the masks that I've seen people wearing are ridiculous because they cannot possibly seal the wearer from any virus and some people who are wearing N95 masks are not wearing them properly.

Most of the people wearing masks in public are doing so only out of fear and the need to feel like they are doing "something" to protect themselves even if it is ineffective in doing so. I get that but, just like stocking up on a year's worth of TP and bottled water (when the tap's still running), you need NOT panic and exercise common sense (and recommended health practices) in dealing w/this epidemic.

FWIW, most recommendations are for a min of 70% ABV to be microbally effective.

The only booze that meets that standard is 151 proof (75.5% ABV) Everclear. I had an open bottle that I used 2 make some hand sanitizer wirmth and still have an extra unopened bottle of the stuff but don"t expect to need 2 use it because I have over 3/4ths of a gallon of 99% isopropyl on hand (which I dilute to 75% because reports are than +90% can actually be less effective for microbial disinfection) plus 1 qt of 75% and over 1 gallon of 70% still on hand.

I wear disposable gloves when out and respray all surfaces/things I touch when I get home and thoroughly wash my hands w/soap & water for 30 secs (not just 20) after I take the gloves off.

You could rub your palms together for 30 sec and not properly sanitize your hands. Technique is important. Food handlers and hospital staff up to surgery all have specific hand washing protocols.

Reactions: BBW
You could rub your palms together for 30 sec and not properly sanitize your hands. Technique is important. Food handlers and hospital staff up to surgery all have specific hand washing protocols.

True but I wash my hands as thoroughly as possible, all fingers/thumbs individually as well as palms and back of hands. For added protection, I also rinse my hands periodically w/70-75% alcohol wc I leave on for at least 10 secs (as recommended by the CDC) for max protection.

Can't do much more than that w/o living in a bubble.

Back