Bose Knives

https://blademag.com/blade-show/tony-bose-mel-pardue-inducted-to-blade-magazine-cutlery-hall-of-fame

Tony-Bose-Knifemaker.jpg

When Tony Bose first started building knives, he asked a maker to share a knife pattern with him. When the maker refused, Tony decided that whenever anyone asked him for a pattern he would give it to him, and he always has, sending patterns all over the world.

Few have done more in mentoring and teaching their fellow makers through instruction and by example than Tony, who is perhaps the world’s best-known contemporary custom maker of traditional slip joints. It’s never been his mission to simply make knives. Instead, he aspires to “bring knives back from the dead.”

His love of knifemaking began in 1972, when he made his first custom fixed blade from an industrial hack-saw blade. As he put it, “I’ve been trying to make a knife that I’m completely happy with ever since. It hasn’t happened yet.”

He worked for years perfecting his skills before pursuing a full-time custom knifemaking career in 1990. His impact was quickly felt when he won Best Folder at the 1994 East Coast Custom Knife Show and also at the 1995 BLADE Show.

In 1998, Tony began working as a custom collaborator with Case. Since 1999, among the knives he has designed for Case are collaborations of vintage patterns made in limited quantities on an annual basis. One such offering was the Arkansas Hunter, winner of the BLADE Magazine 2008 Collaboration of the Year.

Tony’s a crowd favorite at Case consumer events, knife shows and swap meets across the country, and he willingly shares his techniques with other makers to keep the art of making traditional knives alive for future generations. He’s also taught classes on knives and knifemaking at BLADE University during the BLADE Show, and for many years made and donated knives for silent auctions at BLADE Shows to raise money for the old National Knife Collectors Association.

This past year, Tony was awarded the fourth annual Aldo and Edda Lorenzi Award at the BLADE Show for his many contributions as a mentor to knifemakers worldwide.

Tony Bose and Mel Pardue are the latest inductees into the BLADE Magazine Cutlery Hall Of Fame®. The two living legends of the custom knife industry were voted in by sitting members of the Hall Of Fame, and will be formally inducted at the BLADE Magazine Awards reception during the BLADE Show June 7-9 at the Cobb Galleria Centre in Atlanta, Georgia.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting that Skip. Tony is indeed a living legend. His impact on the knife world will be felt long after he leaves this earth. It is a true honor to know Tony and own his work. Here is a pic of 2 knives that belong next to each other. Arguably (not really) the 2 most iconic knife makers of all time.

FDD7FEBB-B4B3-415E-8CAD-E70D9F6DCE32.jpeg

Anybody going to blade and lucky enough to score a bose knife pleaae share pictures of knives or tonys table.

I didn’t take any pics of the Bose knives at Blade, only video. I will say that they were all drool worthy (that goes without saying). Tony picked some incredible stag to use.

I've met Mr Tony twice and can vouch for his honest gentlemannsss. (Is that a word?). My buddy is a budding knife maker and Tony spent time helping him by checking out his knife. He is genuinely excited to see other makers work and compliment them and just talk knives. Unfortunately, I didn't get drawn to buy one at blade though. Guess I gotta go back next year. Lol.

Yeah missing the big stockman, you missed the best one! That two blade sway back was just stunning also.

20190607-121523.jpg

20190607-121644.jpg

Here is Tony's Stockman and the collaboration knives he did with Ken Onion. Premium is a great way to describe not only the stockman but all the knives on Tony's table.
Thank you for posting the others Rob! Good to see you again.
Nathan

Last edited:
Back