BPS Knives of Ukraine

The alligator will probably pull the knife out of your hand before it pulls your blade out of your handle.

I wonder how on earth I lost my drill-press. They sure are nice to have.
I have a really old hand-piwered drill-press I bought off Tool Man 5 years or so back. I'm thinking about giving it him back 🙄

I have a really old hand-piwered drill-press I bought off Tool Man 5 years or so back. I'm thinking about giving it him back 🙄
I won't ask you to mail it here.

Eye doctor in an hour- I'll be back for pictures.
Hearing aid doctor Monday, dementia screening Tuesday. I might cancel the dementia screening. My insurance person put me on hold twice before telling me it would cost $6/day for this one-hour interview, and if there's radiology involved, it will cost me half as much out of network as in-network.
I'm not demented enough to believe any of that.

I won't ask you to mail it here.

Eye doctor in an hour- I'll be back for pictures.
Hearing aid doctor Monday, dementia screening Tuesday. I might cancel the dementia screening. My insurance person put me on hold twice before telling me it would cost $6/day for this one-hour interview, and if there's radiology involved, it will cost me half as much out of network as in-network.
I'm not demented enough to believe any of that.
I had to get a taxi to get it back from the market! :D

Good luck at the eye docs mate :thumbsup:

Good luck at the eye docs mate :thumbsup:
Speaking of luck, I found these two pieces of wood that will just about work for my handle!
PjW1szv.jpg

Some bleeding in both eyes, which comports with my recent jump in blood sugar, which means it's time to grow up again.

A couple of small changes in the spectacles prescription, which means I can get new glasses. I'll keep the high definition progressives and go back to the grey transitions that will work in the car.

Speaking of luck, I found these two pieces of wood that will just about work for my handle!
PjW1szv.jpg

Some bleeding in both eyes, which comports with my recent jump in blood sugar, which means it's time to grow up again.

A couple of small changes in the spectacles prescription, which means I can get new glasses. I'll keep the high definition progressives and go back to the grey transitions that will work in the car.
Nice Jer :cool: Yeah, I know what you mean, I need to readjust my diet again :rolleyes: Hope you find some new specs you like. I'm going in this afternoon, but I'm just getting the same frame as I have now :D ;) :thumbsup:

To those of you that have the hatchet, how usefull is it? Was thinking about picking one up to keep in my daypack and also to use on solitary over nights

It was a glorious day yesterday in eastern Ontario.
The sun was shining, the birds were singing and not a sight of the dreaded white stuff anywhere in sight ❄️:cool:
Just unheard of in March so I am not going to say the "s" word lest I jinx it 😁

So with a "spring" in my steps I went outside and set up shop :p
yjCo9Zd.jpg

Let's get to work ! :)
ySDGsrm.jpg

Soon after I discovered something that made my heart just sink ... a couple of holes appeared on the underside of the handle while I was shaping it :(
It seems that in my initial attempts at hollowing out the cavity for the tang a drill bit twisted in the hardwood and went sideways drilling way to close to the surface :(

I plugged the holes with crazy glue mixed with sawdust collected from the handle wood and kept on working.
I had to redo the cosmetic surgery a couple times during the process.
dCfd0UW.jpg

Finally, after hours of work, I contemplated my new knife and I loved it, beauty marks and all 😍
aLl11F6.jpg

1I3J6Hw.jpg

j4THwnu.jpg

goV2QNU.jpg

The sun was shining, the birds were singing and not a sight of the dreaded white stuff anywhere in sight ❄️:cool:

yjCo9Zd.jpg

ySDGsrm.jpg

Soon after I discovered something that made my heart just sink ... a couple of holes appeared on the underside of the handle while I was shaping it :(
It seems that in my initial attempts at hollowing out the cavity for the tang a drill bit twisted in the hardwood and went sideways drilling way to close to the surface :(

I plugged the holes with crazy glue mixed with sawdust collected from the handle wood and kept on working.
dCfd0UW.jpg

Finally, after hours of work, I contemplated my new knife and I loved it, beauty marks and all 😍
aLl11F6.jpg

1I3J6Hw.jpg

j4THwnu.jpg

goV2QNU.jpg
Fantastic work!

yjCo9Zd.jpg

ySDGsrm.jpg

dCfd0UW.jpg

aLl11F6.jpg

1I3J6Hw.jpg

j4THwnu.jpg

goV2QNU.jpg
Wow! Really nice work Dan, looks fantastic :cool: Well done :) :thumbsup:

Fantastic work!

Wow! Really nice work Dan, looks fantastic :cool: Well done :) :thumbsup:

Thank you gentleman !

I just came home to this little package waiting at the door :D
4wmMcPC.jpg

This things truly are like potato chips :cool:

I am pondering if I should modified the second blank ... just a little.
Perhaps attempt to give it a sabre grind ? File a swedge at the spine ? 🤔 :)

Thank you gentleman !

I just came home to this little package waiting at the door :D
4wmMcPC.jpg

This things truly are like potato chips :cool:

I am pondering if I should modified the second blank ... just a little.
Perhaps attempt to give it a sabre grind ? File a swedge at the spine ? 🤔 :)
I might try the saber grind, if I dared.

I swear I did not uttered the "s" ❄️ word yet somehow things got jinxed :p
Bye bye outdoor shop :)
4yRnYkX.jpg

Perhaps we could head down to the basement and work on reprofiling the new blade
TgkAeUp.jpg

This is going to take an eternity, diamond stones or not 😩
s4k78PK.jpg

I have never done this, but I did watch a couple of YouTube videos 🤣
Ati7EHL.jpg

Let the steep learning curve begin
F6uXC6v.jpg

I took FOREVER, and I am not joking when saying this.
I just do not want to say how long out of self respect :)
SLowly you figure some things out. Something is like a dog chasing his tail, you fix one thing and mess another, fix the other and mess a new one.
Just getting a half decent plunge line drove me nuts

I kept the blade cool at all times and my fingers on it the whole time as I worked.
Slowly things started percolating through my brain and I was able to finish the project.
I have a whole new level of respect for people that do this job everyday for a living.

The blade is now much thinner, flat ground "mostly" as the belt even with the rigid backing in place gave it a slight convex shape.
Sharpening choil added and swedge added.
5Xv0cXD.jpg

h1Ec5HP.jpg

61Aqyo6.jpg

Last edited:
4yRnYkX.jpg

Perhaps we could head down to the basement and work on reprofiling the new blade
TgkAeUp.jpg

s4k78PK.jpg

Ati7EHL.jpg

F6uXC6v.jpg

SLowly you figure some things out. Something is like a dog chasing his tail, you fix one thing and mess another, fix the other and mess a new one.

I kept the blade cool at all times and my fingers on it the whole time as I worked.
Slowly things started percolating through my brain and I was able to finish the project.
I have a whole new level of respect for people that do this job everyday for a living.

The blade is now much thinner, flat ground "mostly" as the belt even with the rigid backing in place gave it a slight concave shape.
5Xv0cXD.jpg

h1Ec5HP.jpg

61Aqyo6.jpg
Great job on the reprofile. I really like it.

4yRnYkX.jpg

TgkAeUp.jpg

s4k78PK.jpg

Ati7EHL.jpg

F6uXC6v.jpg

The blade is now much thinner, flat ground "mostly" as the belt even with the rigid backing in place gave it a slight concave shape.
5Xv0cXD.jpg

h1Ec5HP.jpg

61Aqyo6.jpg
That's so much better than the scandi.

4yRnYkX.jpg

TgkAeUp.jpg

s4k78PK.jpg

Ati7EHL.jpg

F6uXC6v.jpg

The blade is now much thinner, flat ground "mostly" as the belt even with the rigid backing in place gave it a slight convex shape.
5Xv0cXD.jpg

h1Ec5HP.jpg

61Aqyo6.jpg

Thank you friends !

With the return of sunny days and the white stuff gone ❄️ it was time to set up my backyard shop and finish this project :)
The reddish wood is Padouk, the dark wood is Wenge along with some G10 spacers.
J29SWYp.jpg

V7vVNzM.jpg

xapq2NR.jpg

kn32iXu.jpg

cYlxlDy.jpg

HTpMNyX.jpg
Wow Dan, really nice work, and thanks for the great pics :cool: BPS should ask you to run their custom shop! :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Back