BPS Knives of Ukraine

Mine arrived I love em both.

Smalls just a word,I would say it’s Pukko in size and perfect for outdoors stuff.
My XL hand has full grip.

The TIGER is also excellent again my XL hand has full grip,I don’t need to use the ring,the way you grip it gives lots of control.

The sheaths are also perfect.

I love the simple rustic style and build.

To produce these in the conditions they have to endure is outstanding.

My final thought my heart goes out to Ukraine,I feel ashamed we aren’t helping more.

I stumbled upon this thread today and couldn't be happier to have found this. I'll be ordering something tonight when I browse through everything. Kudos to everyone here who is doing whatever they can to support this company during some very troubling times.

And I agree, I wish we were helping more as well but that is another topic for another day. Thanks again guys.

I stumbled upon this thread today and couldn't be happier to have found this. I'll be ordering something tonight when I browse through everything. Kudos to everyone here who is doing whatever they can to support this company during some very troubling times.

And I agree, I wish we were helping more as well but that is another topic for another day. Thanks again guys.
Welcome to The Porch :) :thumbsup:

1J6z4p4.jpg

I got a BPS blade blank for their BL06 knife model.

I spent last evening making a brass guard/bolster.

First time attempting putting a handle on a knife blank.

My fingers wish there was not a learning curve to this activity 😅

First bolster was a 👎 + a couple banged up digits 😣 🩸

Second attempt was 👍😎
A3gVyGS.jpeg

Let’s try this again shall we
h2WCgDR.jpeg

ijmlRWe.jpeg

OT0ZI78.jpeg

The blank does come with a SS bolster however it was not fitted very well to the tang and I think brass will look better
Sp8LdG2.jpeg

I got a BPS blade blank for their BL06 knife model.

I spent last evening making a brass guard/bolster.

First time attempting putting a handle on a knife blank.

My fingers wish there was not a learning curve to this activity 😅

First bolster was a 👎 + a couple banged up digits 😣 🩸

Second attempt was 👍😎
A3gVyGS.jpeg

Let’s try this again shall we
h2WCgDR.jpeg

ijmlRWe.jpeg

OT0ZI78.jpeg

The blank does come with a SS bolster however it was not fitted very well to the tang and I think brass will look better
Sp8LdG2.jpeg
I look forward to future developments.

To paraphrase the Comanche chief in Josey Wales,
It is good that warriors such as we keep our tetanus shots up to date.

I look forward to future developments.

To paraphrase the Comanche chief in Josey Wales,
It is good that warriors such as we keep our tetanus shots up to date.
lol Jer :thumbsup: 😅 I am up to date with my shots ... I think 🤔

Maybe tomorrow:
Looking forward to it ! :thumbsup:

This evening it was a bit of a struggle to fit the blackwood handle onto the tang.
I tried making several small holes side by side and hogging out material with everything I could think off; screwdrivers, rasps, jigsaw blades and whatever else was at hand.
The drill bits were too short as well and on top of everything else one bit broke inside and it was a royal pain to extricate it.

rmel1kb.jpg

Not going anywhere fast folks
lBKOJqV.jpg

I then remembered that some fella on youtube showed a trick were you drill a BIG 1/2 inch hole and then split a dowel in half and sandwich the tang in between them.

It worked like a charm and in no time I had achieved a perfect fit :thumbsup::cool:
qaUGpta.jpg

I wanted to add the colors of the Ukrainian flag to this knife 🇺🇦 so I made a couple of spacers from plastic lids. I also used a little piece of yellowheart wood which along the brass bolsters accentuates the yellow
Vw7kdwI.jpg

Tomorrow I'll glue it all up and start shaping the handle.

Looking good Jer :cool: :thumbsup:
Maybe tomorrow:
e5Z2jaD.jpg
When I lived in the Middle East, we used to say, "Never put off until tomorrow, what you can put off to the middle of next week." ;) :thumbsup:
lol Jer :thumbsup: 😅 I am up to date with my shots ... I think 🤔

Looking forward to it ! :thumbsup:

This evening it was a bit of a struggle to fit the blackwood handle onto the tang.
I tried making several small holes side by side and hogging out material with everything I could think off; screwdrivers, rasps, jigsaw blades and whatever else was at hand.
The drill bits were too short as well and on top of everything else one bit broke inside and it was a royal pain to extricate it.

rmel1kb.jpg

Not going anywhere fast folks
lBKOJqV.jpg

I then remembered that some fella on youtube showed a trick were you drill a BIG 1/2 inch hole and then split a dowel in half and sandwich the tang in between them.

It worked like a charm and in no time I had achieved a perfect fit :thumbsup::cool:
qaUGpta.jpg

I wanted to add the colors of the Ukrainian flag to this knife 🇺🇦 so I made a couple of spacers from plastic lids. I also used a little piece of yellowheart wood which along the brass bolsters accentuates the yellow
Vw7kdwI.jpg

Tomorrow I'll glue it all up and start shaping the handle.
Wow, well done Dan, that's going to look great :cool: I imagine you were turning a couple of bowls, or performing brain surgery with your other hand! :D ;) :thumbsup:

That's so brilliant, it took me a while to picture it, even with your picture.

It's an advance on our primitive ancestors' ploy of drilling an oversize hole and wedging around the tang.

Wow, well done Dan, that's going to look great :cool: I imagine you were turning a couple of bowls, or performing brain surgery with your other hand! :D ;) :thumbsup:
LOL Jacks thanks for the encouragement and the morning chuckle to start the day amigo :)

hat's so brilliant, it took me a while to picture it, even with your picture.
Yes, it's a great idea now that I've seen how it works and done it myself.

It had not cross my mind at the beginning because I did not know how to split the dowel in half.
The guy on youtube had a table saw and a guiding "jig" he made for this purpose which I do not have.

What I did was to clamp the dowel in the vise parallel to the jaws and run my jigsaw carefully straight down the middle.
It worked :thumbsup: :cool:

Way to go, looking forward to see it. Carbon steel?

Yeap:thumbsup::cool:

Working on a fancy patina with organic apple cider vinegar .... with the "Mother" in it :p
wSdT92v.jpg

Let's give it some more organic goodness ☺️
eMTVhBw.jpg

LOL Jacks thanks for the encouragement and the morning chuckle to start the day amigo :)

Yes, it's a great idea now that I've seen how it works and done it myself.

It had not cross my mind at the beginning because I did not know how to split the dowel in half.
The guy on youtube had a table saw and a guiding "jig" he made for this purpose which I do not have.

What I did was to clamp the dowel in the vise parallel to the jaws and run my jigsaw carefully straight down the middle.
It worked :thumbsup: :cool:

Yeap:thumbsup::cool:

Working on a fancy patina with organic apple cider vinegar .... with the "Mother" in it :p
wSdT92v.jpg

Let's give it some more organic goodness ☺️
eMTVhBw.jpg
A pleasure my friend, that's a very clever idea :) You made a better job of that Kitchen Towel Damascus than I did! :cool: 🤣 :thumbsup:

Are you going to drill and pin it sideways, or trust in the epoxy?
Thank you for asking Jer :thumbsup:
You got me thinking and pondering all the "what ifs" :cool:

I am going to have to trust the epoxy.
I do think it will be very strong and hold no problem as I coated everything very well with it and the fit of the whole package was very good.

For the pin I should have drilled the hole on the tang before gluing everything as doing it now will likely cause the drill bit to wander a bit as it goes through the steel and enlarge the hole in the wood too much for the pin to fit tightly and look good.

Also, I do not know if the tang has been hardened or not. Could I even drill through it with my basic tools ?
Many blanks I see for sale come already with the holes pre-drilled however this one did not.

The picture of the handle from the site I bought the blank does not show a pin in it.
vCmDt05.jpg

9NFYYO1.jpg

I do think it will be very strong and hold no problem as I coated everything very well with it and the fit of the whole package was very good.

For the pin I should have drilled the hole on the tang before gluing everything as doing it now will likely cause the drill bit to wander a bit as it goes through the steel and enlarge the hole in the wood too much for the pin to fit tightly and look good.

Also, I do not know if the tang has been hardened or not. Could I even drill through it with my basic tools ?
Many blanks I see for sale come already with the holes pre-drilled however this one did not.

The picture of the handle from the site I bought the blank does not show a pin in it.
vCmDt05.jpg

9NFYYO1.jpg
I'd guess the easiest way to check for hardness would be to see if a file would skate on it? Not exactly scientific. I think people who heat treat have a device for checking hardness. I believe it simply strikes the metal with a hardened pin of some sort and reports a rockwell hardness.

EDIT: I guess any knife shouldn't be hardened so much that a file would skate. I'm sure it will bite some, otherwise it would be very difficult to sharpen. But, I think there would still be a noticeable difference running a file across something like, say, 60HRC vs something like 30HRC.

Last edited:

vCmDt05.jpg

9NFYYO1.jpg
The alligator will probably pull the knife out of your hand before it pulls the blade out of your handle.

I wonder how on earth I lost my drill-press. They sure are nice to have.

Last edited:
Back