Brad Southard Flipper Arrived!! Lots of Photos/Video

i don't like how the scale side of the handle is thicker than the locking side. the scale should have been thinned down a bit. also not a fan of the huge cutout for the lockbar. the secondary cutout is too much in my opinion.

I am guessing that this is strictly based on looks since you also stated that you like the way it feels. I was also a little puzzled as to why the grips were made a different total thickness on each side. That is really the only thing I can pick on with this knife from what I have seen. I know there has been tons of discussion regarding where this knife was made, and I have to admit that it was a factor for me in deciding to buy one of these or not. Ultimately, I have decided that the Southard Flipper will end up being the first knife I buy that was not produced domestically in a very long time. It just looks too great for me to resist. I certainly think it is important for Spyderco to understand that this concern still exists within the buyers market. I also think that it is something that people should be able to represent without any kind of negative implications.

I would rather they left out the G10 altogether and just had the Ti on both sides, but the G10 adds some thickness and grip to make it feel better holding it. Being different thickness on each side doesn't bother me.

I agree, to me if had been made in the US it would be almost perfect. :)

Just opened mine, I LOVE IT!! This is one of the few knives I have liked right from the moment I opened it. I think I am going to wait a while and pick up another and send it to tufthumbz for an orange scale. Then I think it will be very close to being my ultimate EDC. The size is perfect, action is smooth, great ergonomics and awesome stone wash.

I do have to say, the lock up is probably the thing that impresses me the most. Unlike my ZT561, when the lock engages, I cannot push it over more (at least enough to notice) nor is it sticky. The lock up reminds me of my CRK's. I have been carrying a Sebenza almost every day for the past 2 years, but this is gong to get some pocket time for sure!

This is a grand slam for Spyderco!!

That sounds awesome, I am also excited to see how these things look with some tasteful mods. I am thinking a thinner custom g10 scale might be on the horizon once I pick one up and decide whether or not the scale thickness bothers me. I have been wanting a ZT 561 since they came out but they are just too big so I was really excited to hear about this one, and have admired Brad's work for a long time. Very much agree that this could be the next big thing for Spyderco. Nice work.

Got mine today as well (got a red tootsie pop here), and am very impressed. I really like the G10 color and texture, and the stonewash is awesome. The size is very nice for me, I found the 561 too large for edc, but this is about perfect. Along with many others, not crazy about the clip, don't hate it, just wished they used the good ole wire clip. I may have this modded to accept a wire clip depending on how much it costs for my Chokwe which is getting the mod right now. In the meantime I may grind the tip of clip a bit, it seems a bit pointy. Another small gripe is the inability to middle finger flick it easily. I can, but I have to be very deliberate about it. It is crazy smooth, and the internal stop pin is neat. The detent is a ever so slightly stiff, but should wear in perfectly. I like the jimping, some say it is a little non-aggressive, but I find it nice. Probably the thing I am most excited about is the steel, of course that will take time to really evaluate and appreciate, but I hope I can notice a big improvement in edge retention over S30V and other decent steels. Overall, an excellent collaboration that I think Spyderco and Brad Southard should be proud of.

I'm getting a bad case of the jones for this one. Tempted to call up SFO and pay (horrors, really) MSRP...

jeepers, I need help, how do I UNSUBSCRIBE from this thread? ;)
G2

Really is awesome. So smooth out of the box. Crazy quality for the money. You should be very proud Sal! I made a lame video. Pics to follow!

Mine showed up today. This is a great knife, Spyderco nailed it on this one!

94A8F518-6AE3-4DC3-A166-22533684A10F-2237-000001245CE3DC24.jpg

C82E2004-F542-4134-83C4-9F79DB354012-2237-000001247697074C.jpg

DA96FFC8-4071-4558-BF05-BCCBE8573547-2237-000001248DCA3C6E.jpg

EA19E883-0180-4F08-8719-755FC549F364-2237-000001249AC65F1A.jpg

Aarrrrgg... I am weak! :black_eyed:
All of your reviews & excitement you all have shown for this knife - Pushed me over the edge ! ;)
Order placed - Now the wait begins!!!

Got mine about two hours ago and my first impression is that this maybe the only knife that is capable of unseating my Para2 as my EDC. I always throw in my Gayle Bradley and a few others but the Para2 has survived the following challenges ZT 560,550,350 Spyderco GB Manix2, CF Sebenza and a CF mini Onslaught .
Those were this year and none lasted more that a week before the Para2 was back in the pocket.

Just opened my new arrival this evening. The Southard might be the best Spyderco knife I ve ever had. That s saying something when compared to the Para 2 and the Bradley. Extremely impressive fit and finish. Very solid feeling. Nice size. I ll see how my opinion changes with use.

Now who might become the scale master for this flipper? Someone could make a killing. I'm wishing for blue G-10. And a cool titanium deep carry clip that matches the stonewashed titanium.

Now who might become the scale master for this flipper? Someone could make a killing. I'm wishing for blue G-10. And a cool titanium deep carry clip that matches the stonewashed titanium.

No kidding. I really do like the brown g10 but this knife is just screaming for a custom scale. It would have to come with a matching piece for the over-travel stop though. I actually don't mind the stock clip on this one. I went through a period of really liking deep carry clips, but as of late I've discovered I actually prefer a bit of knife sticking out to grab on to. An anodized ti clip would be pretty awesome though...

That would be sweet. Just something less shiny. Rounding out the sharp tips on the top and bottom of this clip would be good for now.

Opened mine up today, the hype was warranted. This is the first perfect (in my eyes) knife I have gotten. Of all my folders this is the first one that came out of the box perfect, from blade centering, detent, fit and finish, absolutely no blade play, and sharp as hell.

The Taiwan spydies kick ass! Makes me want to go get a Gayle Bradley now. Between my 20cp para and 204P socom elite I thought I had my favorites but this takes the cake. I will be ordering another one when I can.

Blade geometry seems very nice too so it should be an excellent slicer. I'll run a small test on it soon and will be sure to post. First I need to learn how to use my wicked edge a lot better cause I suck right now! I'm better with the damn sharpmaker. Here's a quick pic with its contenders:

1-3.jpg

I understand wanting the knife built in the USA, and I'm very much an advocate of buying things made in the US whenever possible (although, at least Spyderco is a US company who employs a decent amount of American's) - but read the numerous threads about why Spyderco's "premium" knives are built in Taiwan. Those who own knives like the Gayle Bradley, Sage 2, Tuff, Techno, etc, understand. Basically, even if Spyderco opened up an all new facility so they would actually have the production capacity to produce the Southard and their other highest end designs (since they're running at full steam in their current facility and are still unable to quite keep up, which is why you have out of stock PM2's, underproduced Fluted Ti Millie's, etc), they could not build those knives the same way for anywhere near the same price as the build them in Taiwan for.

Think about it, it's a Taiwanese knife and it still costs well over $200. Building it here would tack on at least an extra $100, but probably more like DOUBLE the cost (that's why people compare the fit and finish to Chris Reeve, which is a knife built in the USA... for double the price). Also, I know the Colorado Spydies are very well made and the craftsmen are great, but I'm not even sure they're trained to the level that the Taiwanese producers are to build the knives to that level of detail. That would be a big part of the extra cost. The level of craftsmanship is outstanding and the USA Spyderco's are great but clearly not nearly as focused on attention to detail and fit and finish, etc. To train American's to build the Southard and the other premium Spydies exactly as they are currently made and also give them the amount of time required to put into each knife so that they came our just as perfect would cost a TON and we would pay for it.

As much as I try to avoid sending money overseas at all costs (for products like this, I mean - of course it's impossible not to send money overseas without sacrificing a lot of everyday life type things), I love what Spyderco has done. They've picked out some extremely skilled and well trained craftsmen who care about their work (regardless of being American or not) and they ultimately have given us some custom quality knives (actually, BETTER fit and finish than many customs I've owned) at a much more intermediate price range. There's no one else that does what they do for their price. Sure, ZT is pretty awesome and valuable, but a 561 (which is the perfect comparison for the Southard) is still more expensive and as nice as they are, I none of the 560's I've owned or any other ZT's have been on par with with my Tuff, Techno, Gayle Bradley, Sage 2, etc, in terms of fit and finish and attention to detail, even if they're on par in just about every other way. They just still lack that ultimate custom level detail.

Back