Brown G10 Stretch 2

Slightly off topic warning...

I have both the GB and FRN Stretch, and I must tell you the GB's materials and fit and finish is like comparing a Ferrari to a VW Golf... Pride of ownership goes to the GB without a doubt.

But I still love my Stretch because it's thin (both the handle and grind) and light and comfy.
I would generally agree when FRN is the scale. If a CF ZDP-189 can be had, I would go with that. Mine is very nice, and compares to the GB IMO.

Wow - seems like we're a hard to please bunch.

My take: we have a heap of choices from Sal, Eric and the rest of the folks at Spyderco (and dare I say it, there are other brands too!). I know we kind of get our hearts set on one configuration or another and maybe that's why we keep shelling out cash for another knife. As of right now I have 32 folders and 22 fixed blade knives. I don't say that with pride - I am actually looking to thin the herd a bit...

...but I will very likely still buy the G10 Stretch 2. I like brown G10 and I like the Stretch model. ZDP is fine, so I'm in. I won't be buying a heap of other folders this year so I'll find the bucks. If it is 'important' enough to us, I guess that's what we do but let's keep this in perspective team. We're talking about another choice of folder not a cure for cancer.

Peace. Out.

Ben

I was excited until I saw how much it cost.
Pretty much, that was my reaction too.
Not trying to change your minds, and I know the comparison here is way beyond apples and oranges but just for perspective, I received my yearly email from Mercedes Benz a few days ago informing me that, for a mere $250 I could update the maps in the factory navigation system in my SUV. Lucky for me, I found their nav system so annoying complex that with a week after purchasing the car, I went back to using my Garmin, which cost $110 with lifetime map updates. When I read the email, the first thought that went through my mind was "and folks complain about a $200 - $210 street price for the G-10 Stretch 2".

I am afraid that I don't drive a Mercedes, but a Honda. I use a phone for gps. Not complaining about prices, but when a knife starts to run $200, I start to think about whether I want another knife (I already have too many) or do I want another camera lens (I also don't need any more).

Not trying to change your minds, and I know the comparison here is way beyond apples and oranges but just for perspective, I received my yearly email from Mercedes Benz a few days ago informing me that, for a mere $250 I could update the maps in the factory navigation system in my SUV. Lucky for me, I found their nav system so annoying complex that with a week after purchasing the car, I went back to using my Garmin, which cost $110 with lifetime map updates. When I read the email, the first thought that went through my mind was "and folks complain about a $200 - $210 street price for the G-10 Stretch 2".

It's not the $200 for me, it's a lot of money for a knife but I can peddle some others and come up with it in a pinch pretty easily. It has more to do with price to value for me.

I just dropped $220 for a new BM 940-1 which is expensive but it holds it's value really well. I can get $200 today off of the exchange in a hurry and more if I'm patient. I don't see the same value in the Stretch 2. For $155 you can get a new Gayle Bradley or a Brown Pm2 Sprint in S35vn and save $50. Most people would agree these are better knives.

Just my opinion, I don't think it's just the price.

It's not the $200 for me, it's a lot of money for a knife but I can peddle some others and come up with it in a pinch pretty easily. It has more to do with price to value for me.

I just dropped $220 for a new BM 940-1 which is expensive but it holds it's value really well. I can get $200 today off of the exchange in a hurry and more if I'm patient. I don't see the same value in the Stretch 2. For $155 you can get a new Gayle Bradley or a Brown Pm2 Sprint in S35vn and save $50. Most people would agree these are better knives.

Just my opinion, I don't think it's just the price.

I have a Bradley and the CF Stretch, and I like the Stretch better for EDC. Its slimmer and a better all around blade for daily tasks. The GB is indeed extremely well-made, but its a tad thick & heavy for casual carry.

I have a Bradley and the CF Stretch, and I like the Stretch better for EDC. Its slimmer and a better all around blade for daily tasks. The GB is indeed extremely well-made, but its a tad thick & heavy for casual carry.

I can agree that the Stretch is a better carry knife. I personally would rather carry my Chokwe over a GB, they are too beefy.

I think most people would agree that the new G10 Stretch certainly isn't worth $50 more than a GB with carbon fiber scales and M4 steel. I'll let it go though, Sal has so many knives that are such a tremendous value that I can't really give too much grief over some knives that are priced a little high.

Should be seeing these real soon. I saw a price of $188. My guess is that you will see this as low as $175.

Not sure about that, as its retail is 349.95.
Have noticed a lot of folks overlook the retail price and just focus on the selling price. :)
I still have my CF ZDP189 Stretch's. My favorite back locks of all time with the dinosaur jimping.

As much as I like the Stretch (I only have it in FRN), I cannot justify paying any of the prices mentioned here.

I'm afraid the exotic steels and other materials are sorta lost on me.

I'm afraid I'm with the others who can't justify the price, even though the Stretch is my favorite knife (Spyderco or otherwise). On top of that, it's an ounce heavier than the FRN version and 0.5 oz heavier than in CF. Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent at this juncture.

I'm very happy with the superblue Stretch I already own. From the specs the gen 2 looks like it will be larger and heavier and I probably would not prefer that. The Stretch 1 nails the perfect size and handle to blade ratio for me. Folded it's small and compact, open it's somehow a big knife. What I'd really like to see, if it were possible, is a Stretch with a compression lock, but identical in every other respect to the Stretch 1.

Anybody get one yet?

Been carrying my super blue all week...such a great design. :thumbup:

Anybody get one yet?

Been carrying my super blue all week...such a great design. :thumbup:
Yes, it is. USPS says my brown G-10 Stretch should be here on Tuesday. Meanwhile, I've been bouncing around between four different VG-10 versions this week.

They are at a few stores it seems already. Floating around $200 mark. I like my SuperBlue, but don't see enough improvements for me to upgrade.

A member on the Spyderco Forum already has his and has posted some nice shots of it. It looks like quite a large handle...

Picked mine up at Recon 1 today. Very solid knife. The handle feels great and the blade is a great slicer.
XAvtgPOh.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
ef83PJdh.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
QkOuGqgh.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
025uBr0h.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Looks very nice. Glad the G-10 appears to be thinner and the knife still has fairly narrow width like the previous FRN version.

Back